Activities To Avoid

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
JackieOUCH

Activities To Avoid

Post by JackieOUCH »

Thought it might be helpful to compile a new list of activities that exacerbate the pain.

This could benefit all of us regardless of whether we're long time sufferers, new to the website, or even those that aren't sure what the cause of their pain is yet.

Also, the spike in pain is not usually at the time of the activity, but seems to set in hours or a day later so it's hard to determine what the offending activity was.

So please name the things/activities that are definite pain producers. I'll get it started....THANK YOU :D

MASTER AVOIDANCE LIST .

1) Climbing stairs or an incline
2) Pushing or pulling ANYTHING
3) Lifting
4) Bearing down for bowel movements
5) Bending at the waist
6) Squatting (may actually help some people)
7) Certain stretches (especially pelvic)
8) Twisting at the waist
9) Wearing shoes without super shock absorbing soles
10) Sitting on hard surfaces or sitting for any length of time
11) Vigorously shaking anything (bottles...etc....)
Last edited by JackieOUCH on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Started with severe burning sacral pain to R hip/pelvis, bladder, bowel
History Endometriosis
Antolak Diagnosed PN--1 PN block made pain much worse & more widespread for a year
PT 2 yrs--Did not help physically, but was educational
Potter MRI: Symmetric thickening Sacrotuberous ligaments/scarring ischial & Alcocks canal.
stephanies

Re: Activities To Avoid

Post by stephanies »

Wearing tight pants or pants without stretch.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
JackieOUCH

Post by JackieOUCH »

Yes, the tight pants are a killer. Obviously compresses the area even more.

Also another member got me thinking about something...

Rising from the sitting position......

Use the assistance of the chair or couch arm as this will take some of the pressure off the pelvic area, the pelvic muscles won't contract as much. Let your upper body bear the burden of rising from a seated position.
History Endometriosis
Antolak Diagnosed PN--1 PN block made pain much worse & more widespread for a year
Potter MRI: Symmetric thickening Sacrotuberous ligaments/scarring ischial & Alcocks canal.
Searching

Post by Searching »

I actually find that squatting in a sumo type position seems to stretch the pudendal area and helps a bit... I don't get many problems from bending or twisting at the waist either. The other stuff I would probably agree with though
Anna

Post by Anna »

As I think we all suffer from different things I don't believe it works to compile a list of things to avoid. I, too, feel better when squatting.
1991 pudendal pain on left after yeast infection. Worse with coffee, spices, alcohol (bladder-related?)
Guided/unguided nerve blocks
Low oxalate diet, calcium, more water
Pelvic vein embolization
Neurontin, Amitriptyline
Removal of red spots on vulva
Trigger point therapy, injection
Amy Stein exercises
New 2010, burning/electric, numbness/tingling in legs, worse evenings, relieved by walking around. Prob restless legs syndrome.
Fem cutaneous nerve block
Lyrica
Tarlov cyst nerve block
PGAD 2017
JackieOUCH

Post by JackieOUCH »

"Avoidance therapy" is one of the first suggestions made by many pudendal physicians.

It is non invasive and can give the nerve a chance to heal if it is being irritated by friction, stretching or specific activities and may be particularly helpful to a new sufferer.

Avoidance has been the single most important aspect in keeping my pain somewhat under control. It is hard to avoid many of these things, but not impossible.

I'd like to add one more.....vigorously shaking ANYTHING! I tried to shake something to blend colors the other day and my pain went crazy. I had to think back on what I did to stir things up, but that was the culprit. Just added this to the original list.

Having said that, we are all different and will respond in different ways.

Wishing everyone less pain,

Jackie OUCH
History Endometriosis
branbud

Post by branbud »

Is it ok to do abdominal exercises?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

That all depends. Have you been diagnosed with a neuropathy or neuralgia? If it is causing you to tense up your pelvic floor or if it increases your symptoms, it could irritate things further.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
holliday50

Post by holliday50 »

I didn't see this on the list, but riding in a vehicle for any period of time really exacerbates my pain. I can't ride in my wife's car at all because it vibrates so much worse than the truck (these are vibrations I never noticed or felt prior to having PN/PNE). If I have to ride for an extended period of time, I'm worthless for days afterword.
Doodlebug76

Post by Doodlebug76 »

I have recently joined a Boogie Bounce class which is on a trampet, am I likely to cause myself more issues doing this form of exercise?

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”