Cushion

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
jaxi123

Cushion

Post by jaxi123 »

I am still trying to find a cushion that absolutely will not kept my tailbone touch anything and can't find it.
Send me suggestions if you have any.
kathyd

Re: Cushion

Post by kathyd »

Hi Jax, I understand how you feel.
I don't ' have tailbone pain,...but anal pain a bit under the tailbone. I have been off the forums for a long time, but came on still looking for any new cushion ideas.
I still use 2 cushions that I've used for a few years. They are ok but they don't prevent my pain (and after-pain), as my anal area still touches. It may work for tailbone pain as the tailbone is higher and may not touch.

One cushion is a simple Tush Cush with opening in back. It is slightly wedge shaped. I also have plusher more epxensvie cushions that that, but the Tush Cush seems the least painful for me.
I also put an inflatable waffle cushion underneath the Tush Cush to boost me up so I won't sink into the seat.. You can adjust the firmness.
Hope this helps. Im going to post to see if anyone knows of anything better for my needs.. Happy Holidays!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi folks,
I hope all are doing well. Im checking back in to see if anyone (who suffers from bad anal -rectal pain) has found a cushion that works for them, forvarious uses.. ( dining at home, in restaurants and driving.)

I used the same combo for years. ( it works best in restaurants that have cushioned booths.) Our chairs at our home are wooden colonial dining chairs, in and kitchen and dining room. Even with my cushion combo , I can't tolerate these chairs, so must stand up to eat
Driving is hard but Ive been doing a bit of it lately ... when the places I need to go are not far.. It hurts but the after-pain wear off and is well worth getting out on my own !

I'm looking for a better more comfortable cushion ideas for my rectal pain issue.

've been using a' tush cush' with a waffle cushion underneath to boost me..so I don't touch the surface...better than nothing,,,but not great.. I have The more plush cushions with openings in the back too, but they are worse for me than the Tush cush for some reason..If anyone has any better results with cushions could you please post? Thank you and Merry Christmas!
DivadI

Post by DivadI »

Hi Everyone,

I have tried just about every type of cushion. What works best for me is a cushion with a rectangle cut out of the middle. This will keep the area from your perineum to your tailbone suspended. It is important to have the proper firmness for your weight. Too little and it will collapse and put pressure on your perineum, anus, and tailbone. Too stiff and your sits bones will start aching and eventually radiate into your problem area.

I used to make my own, but I found it easier to just purchase them. Here is a link to the one I use (note that I am not endorsing anyone, just pointing out the cushion that works for me):

https://www.amazon.com/Bladder-Prostate ... PEF59AXZGV

I wish all of you the best. Finding a good cushion for driving is one of the biggest challenges to getting a normal life back.
jaxi123

Post by jaxi123 »

I have yet to find a cushion that I don't flatten out
DivadI

Post by DivadI »

Hi Jax,

For the purchased cushions I typically get one weight class higher than my weight so they don't flatten out as fast. Even with this, they will wear out in 6-12 months. For homemade cushions I use 2" gardening pads with a rectangle cut out. The only issue I have with the gardening pads is that they are a little small for my vehicle. The do work very well on my riding lawn mower though.

I have been wanting to try the "Twin Cheeks Folding Cushion". If anyone has any personal experience with this cushion I would love to hear about it.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”