anyone had a PNE from a cystoscopy or retrograde urethrogram

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Pleasehelpmegod

anyone had a PNE from a cystoscopy or retrograde urethrogram

Post by Pleasehelpmegod »

has anyone had a pudendal nerve entrapment from a cystoscopy or retrograde urethrogram?

when they fill up the bladder with fluid can that compress on a artery that supplies blood to the pudendal nerve?
stephanies

Re: anyone had a PNE from a cystoscopy or retrograde urethro

Post by stephanies »

Hi,

I know of one woman who believes her pain began after her bladder was overfilled in a cystoscopy. It seems possible that the procedure could potentially compress or damage the nerve. I am sorry you seem to be dealing with this situation. What are you symptoms? How long has it been since your procedure?

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Pleasehelpmegod

Iv been having pain for 4 months since my cystoscopy plus reteograde urethrogram. In the drive home I was at a level 8 out of 10 pain today. It felt like somebody was stabbing me
Patty

Post by Patty »

Why were you having those studies done to begin with? Pain 8/10 sucks. When my pain was that high I needed a warm bath, beer & muscle relaxer to
knock me out. I am so sorry.
Pleasehelpmegod

Patty wrote:Why were you having those studies done to begin with? Pain 8/10 sucks. When my pain was that high I needed a warm bath, beer & muscle relaxer to
knock me out. I am so sorry.
the reason i did the test was because i was having pain in my urethra when urinating from a sex injury and my uro told me i could of possible tore my urethra during sex. When i saw him i said i only wanted a retrograde urethrogram since a cystoscopy is pretty invasive, and he said that would be fine, but his advice was to do a retrograde urethrogram along with a cystoscopy. So we opted for a retrograde urethrogram only. within the following 2 weeks before i was to come in the procedure his nurses kept calling me telling me that i needed to do a cystoscopy along with my retrograde urethrogram, they were saying that Dr. bhalani was saying that in order for me to do a retrograde urethrogram i HAD to do cystoscopy. I finally caved in and said that i would do the cystoscopy. The most ridiculous thing is that 5 minutes before the procedure he gives me a choice of whether to do the retrograde urethrogram or the cystoscopy, at that point i'm so confused on what to do that i just tell the doctor to do what he recommends. 2 weeks after the cystoscopy + retrograde urethrogram, i'm having really bad butt pain when i'm sitting for more that 15 minutes. It feels like i'm getting stabbed in my butt, or like a 100 ants are biting me, and the left side of my butt cheek is hypersensitive to pain. 4 months pass by and i do another cystoscopy to address the retrograde ejaculation i've been having after the cystoscopy which i did 2 days ago and he said everything looked fine. He says the butt pain is most likely some kind of neuralgia and that it most likely go away. But, everyday it feels the same like it nothing is getting better. I'm pissed off that he put me in this position, and i originally didn't even want to do the cystoscopy in the first place but his bullying made me do the test as he made me feel like it was a necessity. so my symptoms are now pain while sitting which get's worse as the day progresses, and retrograde ejaculation.

Someone in the thread mention that the bladder sphincter is innervated by the pudendal nerve. Is it likely that he caused nerve damage to the bladder sphincter getting the cystoscope into the bladder?

He also is denying that a cystoscopy could cause the butt pains and the retrograde ejaculation that i'm having.
Pleasehelpmegod

So my urologist is saying that my pain is most likely some neuralgia and should be temporarily. Is this true? Does neuralgia just go away? If had this pain for 6 months so far.
Patty

Post by Patty »

When it comes to PN I don't think most docs know anything. Sorry just being honest. I've had PT Urogyn GI all tell me their treatment would make me better. In 2019 I will be entering my 6th year of pain.
Hope your able to enjoy your holiday today in spite of everything.
Pleasehelpmegod

Patty what was the cause of your pudendal neuralgia?
Patty

Post by Patty »

No one has been able to answer that question. One doctor told me "it was building up over time". Whatever that means. I used to be a pretty avid bike rider but PN hit in the middle of the winter. And I never had a symptoms of this nothing while biking.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

If your new pain didn't start until 2 weeks after the cystoscopy, and you already had pain before the cystoscopy, I'm not sure you can conclude it was just the procedure that caused it. Often with PN, there is more than one thing going on and while this doctor might do hundreds of these procedures with no bad outcomes, if someone comes in who already has some issues going on, then the procedure could set off new symptoms. But since the new pain started several weeks later it could have been something else that set off the new symptoms. I think it is impossible to say for sure.

I think the important thing now is to focus on pain relief, pain management, and finding treatments that can calm down the pain. You can take the position that you don't trust any doctors and don't pursue any treatments, or you can take the position that typically doctors are doing their best to help and that you want to try to find treatments that help. Either position is reasonable. Some people on this forum have gotten better using self-help methods such as the mindbody approach. Some people have gotten better with the help of physicians. But if you choose the physician route, you have to go into it knowing that sometimes the treatments don't help and sometimes they make you worse. It's a tough position to be in but it's reality.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”