Post-op Instructions?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Hiking Spider

Post-op Instructions?

Post by Hiking Spider »

I understand different doctors have different post-op instructions, but I'm trying to prepare myself for what is to come, after surgery. Can anyone give me an idea of what your post-op instruction were? To me, it doesn't make since to get the instructions after the surgery and then be surprised by what you can, and more importantly, what you can't do and for how long. I would like to inform my family in advance to prepare them as well.

I did see the post about post-op instructions but that was from 2011. I would think there are changes to it after all this time. TYA.
Wrinkles only go where smiles have been.
April

Re: Post-op Instructions?

Post by April »

Hi Hiking Spider. Here is a link to the post-op instructions I received:

https://www.dignityhealth.org/arizona/l ... 6EBC0F0E84

I was also given a sheet with six pictures of a person demonstrating how I should do things like put my socks on and get something from the floor, but that sheet is not with this link. But this will give you a pretty good sense of your limitations. It was not bad at all. I walked about 6 blocks outside with my walker (probably more than I should have) on Friday and my surgery was on Tuesday. So, the walker really gave me mobility in that first week.

April
Last edited by April on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiking Spider

Post by Hiking Spider »

Once again, you have great info. :D How are you feeling April? Getting better everyday, I hope? Did your numb spot go away?

Wow, those instructions were written for me. The part where it says NO HIKING. I want to go hiking so much. Hoping I will be able this summer. So many mountains to conquer.
April

Post by April »

Glad that's helpful! Hiking may not be something you do for a while (or, at least, in my case I don't think I'll hike for many years if at all. I'm just in fear of the pn coming back.)

Yes, I am still doing well. I generally do not need ice now (!). I think in the past week I only used it on one or two days for just a few hours, though in the evenings, I do usually use heat for a while. My days are low key because I'm working at home so much (and when I work at home my I'm in a lounging position), so that could be part of it. But even so, I am still much better than I was before the surgery. My numb spot is still there, though I think it's smaller. But it doesn't bother me at all.

April
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I agree with April that it's important to take things slowly and if something flares you up don't try it again for awhile. 15 years post-op I can hike all over the mountains near where I live but it took a few years to get to that point.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Hiking Spider

Post by Hiking Spider »

April wrote:Glad that's helpful! Hiking may not be something you do for a while (or, at least, in my case I don't think I'll hike for many years if at all. I'm just in fear of the pn coming back.)

Yes, I am still doing well. I generally do not need ice now (!). I think in the past week I only used it on one or two days for just a few hours, though in the evenings, I do usually use heat for a while. My days are low key because I'm working at home so much (and when I work at home my I'm in a lounging position), so that could be part of it. But even so, I am still much better than I was before the surgery. My numb spot is still there, though I think it's smaller. But it doesn't bother me at all.

April
I'm very happy for your success. It's amazing how slow the recovery is. Please keep us posted as you continue to recover.
Hiking Spider

Post by Hiking Spider »

Violet M wrote:I agree with April that it's important to take things slowly and if something flares you up don't try it again for awhile. 15 years post-op I can hike all over the mountains near where I live but it took a few years to get to that point.

Violet
That's great news Violet! Thank you for the positive outlook. I hope it will not take years to get back to hiking, I'll be too old and out shape by then. LOL I can see the muscles in my legs are shrinking from lack of exercise. At my age it's really difficult to gain muscle back quickly.

Return to “SURGERY”