Expecting first baby with PN (super special lol)

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Ladybird2020

Expecting first baby with PN (super special lol)

Post by Ladybird2020 »

Hello to all,

I have been dealing with left glute pain which sometimes goes down the lady part. I can tolerate sitting to an extent but have to get up ever so often. I have been diagnosed with PN, Si joint, piriformis. I guess any label a doc can provide. One PT just said I really have no idea. Lol! I have been dealing with this for 4 years and just learned to manage and enjoy life. And the things I can still do!

Recently I found out I’m expecting my first child. My first doc appt is next month. And have been reading comments in the forum of doing c-section vs natural. Just want to get feedback/experiences from other mommies.

And my other concern is I have read the horrors of Mesh. Is this used in c-sections?

Appreciate the feedback!
stephanies

Re: Expecting first baby with PN (super special lol)

Post by stephanies »

Congratulations! Mesh is not used in c-sections.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Ladybird2020

Post by Ladybird2020 »

Thank you Stephanie! Do you know of other moms who have been pregnant with Pn?
sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

Hi!

Yes, I went through a pregnancy with PN. I had PN for 7 years prior to my pregnancy. I gave birth via c-section 7 years ago after a pretty uneventful pregnancy other than issues relating to the pregnancy itself (cervical issues) and pelvic girdle pain (went away immediately after the delivery and is common for non-PN patients as well).

We were planning on having a second child but my husband developed fertility issues so we only have our daughter which is more than I ever thought I would have at the beginning of my PN issues. I would recommend a c-section for sure though. You can have all kinds of damaged to the PN during a vaginal delivery so it was totally off the table for me. I found that my PN symptoms worsened a bit in early pregnancy but got better in the second trimester and I had minimal symptoms for the rest of my pregnancy. My condition was actually improved after the pregnancy as well with only minor flare ups. I also needed no pain medication to get through the pregnancy which may not be the case for everyone depending on the severity of symptoms. My doctor did give me a prescription for morphine but I never filled it.

I have been able to be an active mother, for the most part, and I now work part time and volunteer at my daughter's school which I love. There can be a lot of despair and really negative stories on this forum but please keep in mind that there are people out there who live with this day to day and are not fully debilitated or unable to lead full and happy lives. I feel that the most severe cases often end up on this forum but there are many more of us out there who have mild to moderate symptoms or, in my case, symptoms that come and go and do not require any surgical intervention.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I don't frequent this forum very often but just decided to check in and wanted to respond to your post. Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have. I will check back in again in the next day or two in case you do want to ask me anything.

-Stephanie
sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

Oops...I forgot to say that there is no mesh used in c-sections at all. They simply take the baby out and the placenta etc. and then close you back up again. I was up and out grocery shopping 4 days after my c-section and healed very well with no impact on my PN or any of my health issues.

Stephanie
Ladybird2020

Post by Ladybird2020 »

Thank you so much Stephanie! I am 6 weeks now and my symptoms have been baseline. It is great to hear from your experience. Was it difficult to convince your doctors for a csection? I know some are hesitant to do it.
mary jane

Post by mary jane »

are you allowed to take any medication like amitriptyline during your pregnancy? I really want a baby but am scared will have symptoms return if I give up my meds, but would sacrifice this for a baby. Not pregnant yet, asking for better understanding. All the best and may you have the cutest baby !
tiny bartholin infection triggered vulvar nerve pain.
Diagnosed vulvodynia Sept '13 (no burning but electric shocks, paresthesia, aching, buzzing)
Feb 14- Taking 50 mg Ami/Elavil
May 14-pain free with 50 mg Amitriptyline and 300 mg Pregabalin. Back to normal
Dec 15- weaned off all medication, pain free, wearing skinny jeans
April 17- pain returned, Amitriptyline 50 mg. Something doesn't make sense in my diagnosis.
Currently treating depression and anxiety
sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

No, it wasn't difficult to convince my OB to allow a c-section. Based on my medical history, concerns about making the problem worse with a vaginal delivery and the fact that he believes that women should have a choice regarding their deliveries made it very easy to have my choice respected :).

Mary Jane...I was not medicated when I got pregnant. I made the choice to stop medications when we decided to try to get pregnant. I also took nothing throughout my pregnancy even though I did have pain medication available to me if I needed it. I think it really just depends on how severe your pain is without medication. I was able to get by and enjoy my pregnancy but that may not be the case for those who are severely disabled by their pain if they aren't medicated.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”