Help; Need Root Canal, Can't Sit That Long

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
pud52

Help; Need Root Canal, Can't Sit That Long

Post by pud52 »

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I've had PN for 11 years and 9 years before I found a doctor who even knew what PN was.

I have somewhat of an immediate problem that I would like get some advice for. As, my title alludes to, I have an appointment for a root canal, next week. Right after I hung up with the dentist, it occurred to me, there's no way I will be able to sit in the chair that long. A root canal can take between 2-3 hours and for the most part you need to still, while the procedure is being done. I have a hard time being able to sit for a mere five minutes, so 2-3 hours would be impossible. I do use cushions but they only help so much and require me (squirm) reposition myself constantly to get comfortable. I need to find a way, that would allow me to stay seated for this procedure. My thoughts were, if I could get my doctor to give me an injection to numb the perineum area for 2-3 hours or a type of suppository that would easy the pain. I don't know if these options are actually feasible, it's just what came to mind. Please, if anyone can provide other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Michael
Violet M

Re: Help; Need Root Canal, Can't Sit That Long

Post by Violet M »

I don't know....I couldn't find a comfortable way to sit before PNE surgery. None of the cushions I tried helped much. Can they recline you back in the chair for the procedure?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
frigator

Post by frigator »

I would try to get the root canal doctor to do the procedure in two visits. I was able to get mine to do that and each visit was just less than one hour in the chair. I make my own ice and freeze my butt cheek with either a blue ice pack or thick ice. It can be done. I have had two crowns done and I have a real problem sitting. Explain to doc you may need to get up periodically. They will usually work with you.
pud52

Post by pud52 »

Violet M wrote:I don't know....I couldn't find a comfortable way to sit before PNE surgery. None of the cushions I tried helped much. Can they recline you back in the chair for the procedure?

Violet
Hi Violet,

Thanks for your reply. Sitting in a dental chair is murder for me. They but pressure on my butt area and nothing including cushions, helps. I was hoping to find a medication that would temporarily relieve the pain, but so far nothing. Do you know of any meds that may help?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Michael
pud52

Post by pud52 »

frigator wrote:I would try to get the root canal doctor to do the procedure in two visits. I was able to get mine to do that and each visit was just less than one hour in the chair. I make my own ice and freeze my butt cheek with either a blue ice pack or thick ice. It can be done. I have had two crowns done and I have a real problem sitting. Explain to doc you may need to get up periodically. They will usually work with you.
Hi frigator,

Thanks for the suggestions. My endodontist said that I can get up and walk around in between breaks to make it easier for me, so that's good. I don't thing the ice thing would work for me, but it is interesting. I was hoping to find a med that would temporarily relieve the sitting pain, but haven't found anything yet.

best regards

Michael
pud52

Post by pud52 »

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I made it through my root canal. I didn't get much help from my pain doc. I ended just taking 1/2 mg of Ativan (anti-anxiety) and my endodontist game me an 800mg ibuprofen tab, and to my great surprise, I was good for the whole time in the chair. I can't explain it, but I'm very thankful that it worked out this way. I curious now, if Ibuprofen in large doses will help me with my sitting pain in general and if so, is it safe to take high doses of ibuprofen.

My best to to all,

Michael
April

Post by April »

Great news, Michael. Thanks for the update. Ibuprofen is hard on the kidneys and the stomach, so I don't think it should be taken in high doses long-term. I actually think it is not ideal to take even in low doses long term, although I think some people with arthritis take it (or related medications) long term despite the risks.

April
gjones

Post by gjones »

Has the Ativan helped your pain before? Valium helps too.
pud52

Post by pud52 »

gjones wrote:Has the Ativan helped your pain before? Valium helps too.
Hi jones,

I can't say for sure if it has or hasen't. My doc prescribed it for occasional anxiety not for pain and I only take one half of a milligram. I gut tells me that it was probably the 800mg ibuprofen that mostly helped with my pain. But, the Ativan may have added to my comfort as well. Has Ativan and valium help you with neuropathic pain? If so, how do you take it and how many mgs.

thanks for your reply.

Michael

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”