Tarlov's Cysts

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Celeste

Re: Tarlov's Cysts

Post by Celeste »

HerMajesty wrote:I should have a surgical date set within a week or two but this guy has a waiting list worthy of Hibner ;)
This is different--you're going to someone who does an extremely complicated surgery that to my knowledge you really can't get done anywhere else in the US. Add on top of it that he is recognized as the best...and what you've got is worth waiting for.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hoooooraaaaay, HM! I'm so happy for you! Finally! It sounds as though you're going to the best of the best and have high hopes for you.
Are you still going to try the botox?
Love,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Hi Karyn!
Long time no talk to Karyn, miss you and hope you are doing well!
I think I will still do the botox as long as the approval goes smoothly under the new insurance and doesn't turn into another battle. Even if the piriformis spasticity IS due to the tarlov cysts, the botox will temporarily paralyze the muscle and maybe give my poor lil nerves bit of a break. They have not been so happy lately, and I have a long wait ahead of me.
I probably won't get an appointment date as soon as I thought...Dr. Feigenbaum's Assistant emailed me to say that after his dictation about the phone conference is finished, the chart first goes to her, she starts the insurance pre-authorization, and THEN it goes to his nurse who will call me for scheduling. So all my fall / winter / holiday plans are still on hold, but hey small price to pay.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
nyt

Post by nyt »

HerMajesty, glad to hear things are moving forward with your Tarlov cyst surgery. I'm sure you will be glad when this is done and over! All the best to you!
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi HM!
I've missed you, too! I hope you've enjoyed your vacation!
I get where you're coming from with the botox injections. Anything new on that front? I'm so excited for you about your upcoming surgery. I hope they call you back with a date soon.
Do you know if you'll have to make more than one trip out there?
I'm doing very well! I really have to get on the ball with posting an update.
Please let us know when you hear something from Dr. F's office!
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

nyt, thanks, all the best to you too! I saw your other post and sorry you are having a rough time. It's been rough for me too lately and I don't like to complain either. Trying to keep that positive, proactive attitude while deteriorating physically kind of sucks sometimes. I think you and I will both win that battle though!
Karyn, it seems I will only have to make 1 trip out there barring major complications, though I will have to stay at least a week or two before I can fly home post-op. The latest reply I got from Dr. F's assistant, said they are scheduling surgeries for October now but I might not hear from them for another month to schedule (and I'm not sure what a month means to her, since she told me I would get a phone consult in 2 months and it took 6 months). So I guess I might wind up having this done in November or December (??). Getting the botox is moving slowly, long lame story, I think life will be status quo for the next month or two. At least I hope status quo, I picked up some lovely new symptoms in March and am hoping to not add any more! I'll post if I get a surgery date or a botox procedure but don't hold your breath :?
I am so happy you are doing better :D ! Yes, post an update and then someday soon I hope to see you post a success story!
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hey HM, I love your tenacity. And I love your ability to make us laugh even when you aren't feeling so great. Keep hanging in there, girl. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

I dont remember when was the last time I posted here. Some updates..

I have been completely disabled and bedridden for 3 years now and looked after by my aging parents.
No treatment was on until 6months ago when some of my relatives took the initiative. Current diagnosis include

A large arachnoid cyst at S1-S4.
Severa pseudomeningocele between C4-T2
Possible myopathy (yet to be biopsied)
Severe osteoporosis.

Went thru quite a bit of horror - including fractures when i fell off bed, bedsores, intractable pain etc. My weight dropped frok about 145lb in 2015 to only 84lb by may 2019 but now it is upto 105lb now.

Was unable to do pretty much anything by myself until 2mo ago but now slowly getting better. Was able to stand with a walker a week ago. I am scheduled for biopsy (muscle, nerve, skin etc as needed) detailed review and possible surgery of the cyst and/or meningocele 2 months later. Till then pain meds and physio to try and walk again after nearly 4 years. Keep fighting folks dont give up anytime.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Hi Srinmav,

It seems like you have several issues at your spine that could be causing your PN symptoms. I hope you are able to make progress walking again while you figure out your surgical plan, if any. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

I will post on a separate thread. I have several questions and need some directions so that i can guide my relatives thru a difficult diagnosis and treatment process.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”