Pelvic health progress over 12 years

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Leah87

Pelvic health progress over 12 years

Post by Leah87 »

I had my first check-up of 2019 and the first appointment I've had in a while with Dr Michael Durtnall at Sayer Clinic in London last week, so I thought now would be a good opportunity to take stock and share some positive vibes to kick off the new year.

So I was diagnosed with chronic pelvic pain 12 years ago. It started with vulval pain upon physical intimacy and inserting tampons. I had suffered a series of infections (BV, thrush, UTIs) so I went to the GUM clinic, where I was told that I had vulval focal pain syndrome. They gave me lidocaine gel, pregabalin and amitriptyline but no positive advice about the future and left me feeling my pelvic floor and vagina would hurt for the rest of my life. We're super lucky now that there are so many online resources for chronic pelvic pain sufferers. Back in 2007, there wasn't as much information available, so I was buffeted from neurologist to psychologist to physiotherapist with no results.

I finally stumbled across the names of Liz Rummer and Elizabeth Prendergast, pioneering physical therapists in San Francisco. I flew out to their clinic in 2009, and when I got back I sought treatment from acupuncturist Stefan Chmelik who in turn recommended Dr Michael Durtnall.

Dr Durtnall examined me and assessed my pelvic pain from my muscles, joints and nerves. My pelvis was very tilted causing a spinal curvature and I had strong and unequal spasms and tension in the muscles of my pelvis right through from back to front which was upsetting my pudendal nerves through the whole of my pelvic floor. I also had pain in my inner thighs, hips and groins. Michael's pudendal path release treatment and manipulation for my sacrum, coccyx and pelvic floor improved me by 90% in two months.

Even more than just an amazing, incredibly knowledgable medical professional, Michael is a super positive, compassionate person which really makes all the difference--part of getting better is believe that YOU CAN DO IT! In the early days when all the doctors and physios were telling me I would never get better, I totally internalised that. And it wasn't even true! I still struggle with my pelvic health, especially during time of stress e.g. Over Christmas, hence my recent appointment, so it's important to keep on top of flare ups and book in regular check ups. I am just so grateful for the improvement in my quality of life, I'm even engaged to a wonderful partner now, something I could never have imagined back when I thought my sex life was over forever!

So if you've exhausted all your options I really do encourage you to book in with Dr Durtnall at Sayer Clinics. Wishing you all a happy and healthy new year :)
Marwa B

Re: Pelvic health progress over 12 years

Post by Marwa B »

Hi Leah,

I'm also a long term patient of Dr. Durtnall with a very similar story, although different pelvic issues.

I'd love to know if you've had any more flare ups since posting?
Have you had any that seem to self-resolve or do you always need treatment?

M

Return to “UK & IRELAND”