Unexpected Urgency

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
tummydepressed

Unexpected Urgency

Post by tummydepressed »

Throughout my battle with what I understand to be pudendal neuropathy, or levator ani syndrome, I have experienced what I call unexpected urgency.

In the evenings I will often have only a minor urge to visit the bathroom. However, once the BM has started, things take a significant turn for the worse.

My colon seems to go into revolt, having intermittent spasms during which it will evacuate rapidly, until it seems my colon is completely empty.

The whole process can take an hour or so until I feel ‘finished’. I can go ten minutes knowing I still need to pass more, then it will happen urgently. The cycle then repeats.

It is very painful because I am very tender and swollen in the lower rectum and seem to partially prolapse. Also by the end of the day my pelvic floor is tighter, so anything passing through can hurt.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this? My whole experience is characterised by feeling worse after a bowel movement, which I feel is unusual. The process of going to seems to make me want to go more.... my colon becomes very ‘poppy,’ sore and strange feeling.

TIA for your feedback.
solarmom

Re: Unexpected Urgency

Post by solarmom »

I experienced this and over the years learned some control over it.
It used to be that the very act of walking or sitting provoked the levator ani
to give the sensation of needing a bm. But the pushing would lead to a vicious cycle.

My pt told me to use the action of dropping the pelvic floor for bm. Since my body was totally
confused this meant I took a deep breath and only attempted to push the bm while releasing
the breath. Do not keep straining. Just stop, go for a walk. apply heat.

just my perspective. wishing you the best.
tummydepressed

Re: Unexpected Urgency

Post by tummydepressed »

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me.

It seems you were suffering badly a while back as well.

Would you say you have managed to see some improvement? Do you live anything close to a ‘normal’ life now?

It’s difficult to get on in the world when you are in the bathroom for 2-3 hours a day!

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”