Hello, new here

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
Violet M

Re: Hello, new here

Post by Violet M »

That's an excellent article, Capricorn! Thanks for sharing it.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
April

Post by April »

Yes, that is a great summary. Thanks, Capricorn!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I was just looking at the article some more, including the resources at the end. The authors did a lot of research on the current publications on PN/PNE in writing this article. Pretty impressive.

I just found a more recent article that is also a continuing education activity. It has one of the same authors.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562246/

It also has a great list of references at the end.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
capricorn91

Post by capricorn91 »

Thanks Violet and April, yes both articles were very interesting and provide lots of detailed information about the diagnosis and treatment options.

April, i was reading in another post you said you had started taking duloxetine/cymbalta, and i was wondering if it was helping your symptoms and if you have had any negative side effects from the drug or not? also what dose/amount you were taking?

April

Post by April »

Hi Capricorn,

Yes, I have been taking that for 6 or 8 weeks now. I'm a low dose (20 mg), especially given that it's being prescribed for pain. It's a medication that is prescribed for both anxiety/depression and nerve pain (e.g., fibromyalgia patients are sometimes prescribed it). It's always difficult for me to determine if something is helping me with pain in a short window of time, since my pain comes and goes (so if I don't have it, I don't know if that was the medication or would have that way anyway). But, I think I've only had one significant flare since I started taking it, which on the low side. The clearer difference, though, is that I am less emotionally reactive when I have a flare (small or big), and that is valuable. Side effects: The first week of it I was totally nauseated and had a slight headache. That pretty much went away by week two and now I don't have those symptoms. I do take it at night, though, so that if I do get nauseated, it's happening when I sleep. If I have more flares, I might consider increasing the dose, but for now I'm staying at the low dose.

Have you considered this medication?

April
capricorn91

Post by capricorn91 »

April wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:05 am Hi Capricorn,

Yes, I have been taking that for 6 or 8 weeks now. I'm a low dose (20 mg), especially given that it's being prescribed for pain. It's a medication that is prescribed for both anxiety/depression and nerve pain (e.g., fibromyalgia patients are sometimes prescribed it). It's always difficult for me to determine if something is helping me with pain in a short window of time, since my pain comes and goes (so if I don't have it, I don't know if that was the medication or would have that way anyway). But, I think I've only had one significant flare since I started taking it, which on the low side. The clearer difference, though, is that I am less emotionally reactive when I have a flare (small or big), and that is valuable. Side effects: The first week of it I was totally nauseated and had a slight headache. That pretty much went away by week two and now I don't have those symptoms. I do take it at night, though, so that if I do get nauseated, it's happening when I sleep. If I have more flares, I might consider increasing the dose, but for now I'm staying at the low dose.

Have you considered this medication?

April

Thanks April, it's good to hear that the side effects decreased for you. Yes, i was considering possibly trying this medication for pain, although none of the other medications have helped my symptoms, including antidepressants, in fact they seemed to make my nerve pain even worse.

I haven't tried duloxetine though, and i am not sure if i will take it or not, but it is helpful to hear about your experience on the drug, so thanks for sharing!
April

Post by April »

Hi Capricorn,

Let me know how it goes if you do start taking it.

April

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”