Can stress make PN symptoms worse?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
mom

Can stress make PN symptoms worse?

Post by mom »

I was wonderng can being nervous or being in a stressful situation cause PN symptoms( specifically neuropathic itch) to be worse or more intensified?
MOM
calluna

Re: Can stress make PN symptoms worse?

Post by calluna »

Yes, definitely. Being either physically or mentally stressed can make all the physical symptoms more intense.
scaredgal

Post by scaredgal »

Abso-freaking-lutely! I have an very high stress job and I notice that I am measureably better on the weekend. For me, at least, mental stress makes it worse than physical. Actually, depending on what I'm doing physically, it can make it better.
nyt

Post by nyt »

It sure can! Any mental, emotional, physical stress can make symptoms worse. That is why they recommend stress management techniques for individuals with chronic pain. It is really good for all of us in general but esp. good for chronic pain individuals.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

mom wrote:I was wonderng can being nervous or being in a stressful situation cause PN symptoms( specifically neuropathic itch) to be worse or more intensified?
MOM
I actually had less problems with neuropathic itch if I was in a stressful situation because it took my mind off of it more and I think stress can sometimes over-ride other signals being sent to the brain. But after a stressful situation I think symptoms were worse because stress inevitably makes your muscles (including your pelvic floor muscles) tense up more.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Stress is definitely one thing that causes a great increase in my PN pain and increases the other symptoms like electrical shocks etc; as Violet has said this is probably due to the tensing of muscles which put more pressure on an already irritated nervous system.
I also find that after a stressful period of time, that it takes me a few days to get things to calm down again even with lots of rest and medication and ice.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
mom

Post by mom »

Thank you so much for the replies!
My daughter who is 7, I beleive has PN. She has severe clitoral itch. Some days it is worse ( i am associating to the weather) but then there are times when I can see she is uncomforatble ( out in public, at church, around other kids who might be starring) her itch also seems to get more intense.
It is hard for her to tell me exactly what is going on as she is 7 but It would appear to me that being "stressed" was making her itch worse.

Thanks again
MOM
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hi Mom,

Stress can definitely tense up muscles and if the muscles are tense, they can go into spasm. When the body is relaxed it can help with the symptoms. If your daughter is stressed (which I can't imagine she wouldn't be with all that itching), I am wondering if some sort of relaxation therapy would be of help to her?

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Violet M wrote:
I actually had less problems with neuropathic itch if I was in a stressful situation because it took my mind off of it more and I think stress can sometimes over-ride other signals being sent to the brain. .
I would agree with the above statement. I think distraction can help chronic pain.

As regards stress I think it can make people feel the pain is worse. However there is no clinical evidence that stress creates pudendal pain.
Tried numerous medications as well as a long period of myofascial physical therapy combined with meditation/relaxation. My pelvic floor muscles are now normal and relaxed on exam ( confirmed by many Pelvic floor PTs) yet my pain remains the same. Also have intense leg pain. Deciding on next treatment.
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

stress increases pain, distraction reduces it. praise God you keep searching and caring for your little daughter so passionately. you are her hero and God will help you both!
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”