Psychology

Here is an area to discuss and relate to Spiritual matters....share a thought, happy moment, cry on a shoulder, offer some faith to those in need. This area will not be viewable to non registered users.
Griff522

Re: Psychology

Post by Griff522 »

$300 for a therapy session?!
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
donstore

Post by donstore »

Faith,
PN is not always preceded by an injury. Getting numb after injections is generally considered a prime diagnostic indicator. The fact that your doctor did not pursue effective medications for you and instead prescribed counseling means only one thing - she has decided that this problem is all in your head. If the ob-gyn you mentioned will pursue medical treatments, that sounds like the best choice. It's hard to see how your current doctor will be of any further use in helping you considering her attitude.Good luck.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Faith, your doctor was being inconsiderate and rude and selfish.

Pudendal blocks if they numb the pain for any short amount of time prove that the nerve is the problem. You are correct.

I am a Christian and have gone to counseling and currently take Prozac. It does not hamper my relationship with God. Prozac stabilizes my mood because my chemicals truly are out of line. Do you ever get grumpy when you are hungry? And after you eat, do you ever feel more happy? That is a chemical sort of thing too, or at least not a spiritual thing, but it alters your mood. It is not a sin to eat food. And similarly, meds for moods do this for you... help lift your mood... but they don't change your belief system, and you still have to rely on God. (Cymbalta for me was bad, it made me lose 20 pounds but through constant stabbing feelings in my back. At least I lost 20 pounds! But my friend takes it and it is great for her.

I also have gone to counseling, with a wonderful Christian counselor. It was very helpful. I will say that there are some Christian counselors out there that can be very wrong... and secular ones that could be more wise...you need God to give you wisdom on this. I do not believe in meditation or that stuff... counseling is about expressing your feelings, and having someone guide you to find answers, with bits of wisdom. There are many proverbs dealing with the incredible value of wisdom, and I truly feel that counseling can provide wisdom and insight... assuming the counselor is not either heretical or just plain bad.

You made a good decision to fly to Phoenix.

Lots of love!
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Griff522 wrote:$300 for a therapy session?!

If I could blow $300 in just about any other way I could think of (clothes comes to mind) that would be therapy enough :lol:
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Faith, here's my experience with psychologists and PN -- for what it's worth.....

I saw a psychologist, sex therapist, and psychiatrist (all Christians) before I had ever heard of PNE. My experience was that psychotherapy is psychotherapy, whether it's Christian or not. I was desperate to find someone who might have a clue as to my diagnosis. The psychologist told me to snap a rubberband against my arm to take my mind off the problem. The psychiatrist wondered to the sex therapist if I might be a nymphomanic :shock: because one of my PNE symptoms was persistent sexual arousal syndrome. The sex therapist was a very nice lady but after several visits I discovered that I was listening to her talk about her family and problems more than she was listening to me.

I found psychotherapy and sex therapy to be totally useless because the problem was not in my head. I had a damaged nerve and all the psychologists in the world could not have fixed it.

So don't second guess yourself. I think it's highly unlikely this is in your head. You sound far too sane to me. ;)
HerMajesty wrote:
Griff522 wrote:$300 for a therapy session?!

If I could blow $300 in just about any other way I could think of (clothes comes to mind) that would be therapy enough :lol:

Totally agree with you there HM -- I am also a clothes horse. :P
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hello,

I really have to agree with everyone here. It is your decision on whether or not to go and see a psychologist. When people go and have neurostimulation done, they have to pass a psychiatric exam in order to have the unit placed. There have been many studies showing that the more depressed you are, the less likely that you will have a good outcome with treatment. My experience is this......I was the most depressed person you could have ever imagined, when I went to see Dr. Hibner. My results...Fantastic! So, I am not a true believer that psychology helps more with treatment. I think PN causes situational depression and once that is fixed, your mental health status comes back. I hope this helps.

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Wendy, WOW, you're back!
glad to hear your great news!
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hey Pianogal,

You are so sweet! Thank you for such a warm welcome!

I have the time to be on the forum and I really want to be like I used to be on the forum. I sometimes come back and then leave, but I have this feeling that I'll be back on the forum for good now.

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
Faith

Post by Faith »

Wendy,

I've read your story on the home page and it's good to have you back on the forum to help those of us who are still struggling so much. I was wondering if you could post here or maybe under "success stories" your current pain levels and what you can do now. Can you sit...for how long? How much does your pain affect your daily life now? Thanks for your comments as well!
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Dear Faith,

In my whole PN walk, I have also seen a slew of Christian psychologists, psychiatrists, etc. I can honestly say I gleaned the things I needed to from them, and discarded the rest. I believe this with every person I meet too. Not every person is going to be perfect or the perfect match. Our only perfect match is Christ Jesus. So, my advice to you would be to seek the Lord on your face for the answer to what you should do about this. I have no doubt in my mind that He will give you not only the answer, but perfect peace about it.

With love,

AM
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org

Return to “SPIRITUAL AREA”