Cymbalta? Tramadol?

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
Violet M

Re: Cymbalta? Tramadol?

Post by Violet M »

Paulette, I was wondering that exact same thing in a different thread. I don't see how an MRI could with 100% accuracy determine if there is a stretch injury.

I can't remember if you have had a physical therapy evaluation yet -- by someone who knows what they are doing. With your complex issues I think you would have to think several times before letting a PT near you but maybe at least for an evaluation it might give you some answers. Also, Denver is not all that long of a plane ride form Phoenix. Have you thought about seeing one of the PNE docs for an opinion?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
wendy7

Post by wendy7 »

Hi Paulette,

I am not up to date on the MRI's and how well they can see things. A stretch injury would definitely be tough to see, unless there was something like the PN being attached to an area that it was not supposed to be attached to. But, that is something that I would love to hear from the docs that are doing the MRI's!

Also, to Scaredgal,

I can understand you not wanting to take any medications. Medications can have side effects, but they also can help as well. The one thing that I want you to know, is that there is always a treatment out there! You need to try absolutely everything, whether it be surgery or a stimulator or anything and everything, before you make a decision to do something to hurt yourself. The one thing that you may not think will work, may be the one thing that works the best for you. I hope this helps.

Take care,
Wendy
Unlilateral Surgery 9/27/07 - Dr. Conway
Redo Unlilateral Surgery 10/15/10 - With Dr. Hibner AND Dr. Conway
Results - Fantastic!
scaredgal

Post by scaredgal »

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I'm still investigating what I should do next - one concern about medication is trying something, then it doesn't help and trying to wean off of it. Most of these meds you can't just stop cold turkey. Why isn't anything easy?????

Paulette, I'm so sorry for your suffering. I'm almost wondering if you might have some scar entrapment from your previous surgery at S2/S3/S4? This is where the pudendal nerve originates, so it seems like it would make sense. I'm wondering if Dr. Potter's MRI could pick that up?
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Scaredgal, I've weaned off a few meds and the worst were paxil and Lexapro. But I did it and I was okay. I just felt a little spacey for a while. Weaning off isn't bad if you just go slowly.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
scaredgal

Post by scaredgal »

Hi Griff,

I weaned off Zoloft and Prozac years ago (about 9) - my gosh the brain zaps! I guess I've just had a hard time finding a doctor I can really trust. Thought the pain doc might be good until he made me worse with the PN/Epidural injections and prescribed Cymbalta with Tramadol - now not so sure......Where are the good docs? (other than the ones that don't take insurance or take 6 months to see????)
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Where are the good docs? (other than the ones that don't take insurance or take 6 months to see????)
They're out there, but sometimes you just have to be patient (no pun intended) with them. For instance, I might talk to your pain doc and tell him, "hey I've got some concerns about taking these two drugs together because I've done a little research and they don't seem compatible.". Then see what he says. If he's arrogant and acts like he knows everything then you've learned what kind of person he is and you can decide if you want to continue seeing him. My pain dr was quite the opposite with me. The first time I met with him, he told me "I'm not an expert in PN but I have read a great deal about it and taught myself how to do the guided nerve blocks. Each time he would meet with me and ask if I got any relief and how long it lasted. Then he'd ask me again if I wanted to try it again. When the third block didn't provide long term relief either, he was frustrated that he couldn't relieve my pain, and he knew I was researching and forming a plan of my own. So he told me if I needed any referrals or meds that he would take care of it for me. And he has come through for me on several occasions.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
paulette

Post by paulette »

Violet,
I am sorry for taking to long to reply. I have a hard time finding all the places I ask questions. Yes, I have been to three PT. One I saw several times before the SI joint fusion. He mainly did deep tissue massage, which loosened me up. I also see a pelvic PT in Ft. Collins, CO. In fact, I saw her yesterday, and she did dry needling and myofascial release. It made me feel better than I have felt in a long time. I also saw Jerry Hesch in Las Vegas. So i have seen my share of therapists, and I definitely believe it is worth it.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Looks like you've pretty much gone the PT route, Paulette -- with some relief but not enough. So, maybe what this new PT is doing will really help. I hope so. ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Thanks, Violet,
She told me she didn't think PT was going be the key that "opens the heavens" in her words. I saw her several times before the Si fusion. She thinks i should look into decompression surgery. But if a surgeon opens me up and sees that the nerve is not entrapped in the ligament, because it is simply being stretched , will he still cut the SS ligament? Could he tell it was being stretched by looking at it? I would hate to be opened up, then closed up because they didn't find an entrapment. Whether it is entrapped or stretched, it is still painful, and I would want the SS ligament cut!!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Paulette, that has happened to some people -- they went for surgery and were told afterward they were not entrapped. Surgery reports often describe what state the nerve is in so I think the surgeons can tell during surgery if it's entrapped and they will cut the ligament if necessary.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”