Dr. Hibner's associate and PT

Botox, Nerve blocks, Transgluteal decompression surgery
Faith

Dr. Hibner's associate and PT

Post by Faith »

I made an appointment with Dr. Hibner today. The first available was 8/17/11. Wow. The receptionist said he likes you to see Loretta, his PT. When I called Loretta they said she doesn't take insurance (except Medicare) and it would cost $274!! I called the Hibner's office back and asked if it was necessary to see Loretta because I have already see 4 PT's. She said, "no, just bring your PT records with you to the appoitment". Did you all who are pt's of Hibner's have to see Loretta?

They also asked if I wanted to see Dr. Hibner's associate Dr. Castellanos and if so I could see him in a couple months. I said no because if I am flying to AZ I want to see Hibner, but has anyone see Castellanos yet? Apparently he treats PN too and consults with Dr. Hibner after seeing the PN patients.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
GraceUnderFire

Re: Dr. Hibner's associate and PT

Post by GraceUnderFire »

Hi Faith,

I was not told I "had" to see Loretta; but I am certainly glad I did. I learned so much from her about all the inner workings of the pelvis and I thought I already knew just about everything. Secondly, she was able to tell by her physical exam that my muscles were not "tight" and not in spasm which indicated that I was a surgical case of PN which correlated with my history as well. This meant no more blocks, botox or anything :D Dr. Hibner's office will give you a "letter of medical necessity" for your insurance company to submit with an out of network claim. Because of that letter, I was reimbursed for everything but the normal copay.

I do not have any knowledge of the other doctor, but I too decided to wait for Dr. Hibner.

Just sharing my 2 cents :) Best of luck!!

Grace
Woke screaming from ab hyst 6/08
Diagnosed w/PN, ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neuralgias 1/09
3 PN blocks w/Dr Quesada
Rt side TIR, ilioinguinal neurectomy & vestibulectomy 5/09 Dr Conway
Left side TIR 2/10 Dr Conway
Potter MRI 9/10 and consultation w/Loretta & Dr Hibner 12/10
Bilateral ilioinguinal, iliohypogastric, genitofemoral release w/Dr. Hashemi Aug 2011 left & Sept rt
Bilateral TG surgery w/Dr. Conway will be in January 2012
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Can't you just see the associate for the consult, shave 6+ months off your wait time, and be that much further ahead for surgery? Dr. Hibner would still review your case and be the one who does the surgery. It sounds like a good deal to me.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Dr. Castellanos was the assistant on my surgery. I have seen him for my pre-Botox consult in September. He is the fellow for Dr. Hibner.
What this means is he has already completed a residency (most likely in OB/GYN) and is now doing a fellowship (advanced training) in minimally invasive gynecology with Dr. Hibner. I read somewhere that these fellowship spots are very hard to get into --- which means that the doctor must be very good in order to "match" with a fellowship program. St. Joseph's is a teaching hospital. Dr. Hibner is a professor in Advanced Minimally Invasive Gynecology. Dr. C has been a fellow since July '10. Hibner's former fellow, Dr. Nita Desai, is now in practice with Dr. Hibner. I do not know what she specializes in, but I know her name was on Dr. Hibner's scientific article from 2010 or 2009 (she most likely did a lot of research).

While moaning in pain for them to just "take me to surgery" (this was at the pre-Botox consult with Dr. C.) I remember asking him "are you going to learn the PNE surgery?" And he said, "well it is a very intricate and specialized surgery and I have only observed about 6" (remember folks, he started his fellowship in July '10 so cut him some slack). I remember begging him, BEGGING him to learn the PNE surgery, that there just weren't enough PNE surgeons and too many hurting patients out there. Soooooooooo, MAYBE HE IS STARTING TO LEARN IT!!! This is good news!! Maybe Hibner is giving him more leeway to see patients regarding PNE, etc. Faith, I'd jump on it and go out there and see Dr. C. He will report to Dr. Hibner, (he has to, as Dr. H is his attending physician).

Oh, just remembered, right before I was wheeled back to surgery, they introduced me to Dr. Hibner's chief resident in OB/GYN who was this young guy (younger than me) who I again asked if he was going to learn the PNE surgery (because he was also assisting on my surgery... ha, he's probably the guy that stitched me up.... if so, he did a good job, scar looks fab). He said he had just matched at an advanced minimally invasive fellowship in KY and I said NOOOOOOOOOOOO you have to learn the PNE surgery. Believe me, I have been blasting this to every doctor I saw at St. Joe's. He kind of laughed and said "well, Dr. Hibner is REALLY good at what he does." I was like "well YOU could be the next Dr. Hibner!!"

I guess one of my gifts is encouragement. Who knows.

Anyways, Faith, my 2 cents is go see Dr. Castellanos.

AM :P
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

I called the office today and made an appointment with Dr. Castellanos. I actually called asking for an appointment with Dr. Hibner or his associate. At first I was told I would have to send over all of my records then they would call me back to schedule an appointment. So I asked for the info on where to send the info. Then she asked why I wanted to see him and I replied "for Pudendal Neuraglia" and her entire attitude changed. All of a sudden she was really nice. She said Dr. Hibner wouldn't have an opening until September but she could get me in sooner with Dr. C. So I took the appointment on April 6th!! (My sons 17th bday.) I was not told anything about seeing Loretta nor was I even asked much about why I thought I had PN. But I'll still take the appointment. I figure Dr. C works directly with Dr. Hibner so he would be consulted on the decisions (I would hope). Better than what I'm receiving in care down here in Tucson. Since I'm only 2-3 hrs away I can do the multiple trips if necessary.

So, two months and I may start to feel like a dr is finally willing to listen. :) I'll let you all know how things go with Dr. C.

Good Luck everyone!!!
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
nyt

Post by nyt »

At my first appointment with Dr. Hibner in July of 2010 Dr. C. was there for the initial interview. Dr. C. was also there for bladder sling removal and obturator decompression surgery in Sept 2010. He was always with Dr. Hibner during my hospital stay. Dr. C. did the follow-up phone consultation a few weeks post-op. He seemed to me to be a very bright and compassionate physician. If Dr. Hibner didn't think Dr. C. was capable of evaluating patients Dr. Hibner's office wouldn't be offering this is an option. I think you will be glad you saw him.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Faith

Post by Faith »

TracyB,

Keep us posted on your appt with Dr. C. You are so blessed to be only 2-3 hours away from them! i turned down an appt with Dr. C (could have had it in March) and am holding out for Dr. Hibner. Maybe it's a mistake, but I feel like my cause is very complicated and unusual. I have a lot of biomechanical issues so I think I probably will see Loretta. What do you think caused your PN pain by the way?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

I honestly have no idea what caused my initial pain. After reading all of your histories and doing my own research I'm wondering if I haven't had issue's with it for a while, but they never lasted long so I wasn't worried about it. Last January is when things started going downhill for me but nothing that I can pinpoint except being off for two weeks over the Christmas break and laying around reading and doing housework. By late last April I was no longer sitting. This is a bizarre health issue to deal with. Today I took my boppy into a meeting of 50+ ppl just so that I could try to sit for the hour meeting. Now I'm wishing I had just stood through it. Alas, as you all know, we deal with this daily, live and learn. :oops:
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
donstore

Post by donstore »

TracyB,
I am currently getting my records together to send down to Arizonia and I was hoping that you would clarify one thing for me. Is it true that if you see Dr. Castellanos for your initial consult that Dr. Hibner would be the one to perform your surgery if they offered it in your case ? Since the waiting time for surgery is so long after the consult, is it possible that Dr. C would be the one to do the surgery ? Just wondering. Keep us posted.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

You know, I didn't ask that question. Sorry. Originally when I asked for Dr. Hibner I was going to have to fax everything before they would even call me to set the appointment. However since I was willing to take the appt with Dr. C they said I could just bring my records with me that day. And there has been no mention of an appt with Loretta before hand either. Soooooo, I'm not sure if this will at least get me in the system as a patient of theirs and bump up the time frame for me on care or if I'll end up in a holding pattern for Dr. Hibner. I'll definitely keep everyone informed as I learn more.

Return to “Dr Hibner - Arizona”