Has anyone heard PROCTALGIA FUGAX

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Missingmylife42

Has anyone heard PROCTALGIA FUGAX

Post by Missingmylife42 »

This happened to me last night. I was sleeping and then i was awken by sharp stabbing pains in my rectum i have had pains before but this was like charlie horses that would not stop in my rectum we put a bella donna up there and ice the pain was worse than labor pains. So scared to ever feel that pain again. I was screaming it felt like a knife it lasted for at least at least 15 min I felt like I was going to pass out from the pain. Dan just held me and I I was screaming out to God. We both passed out and woke up two hours later it felt like a nightmare. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE. A:'(

Dan looked it up. http://surgerysearch.blogspot.com/2008/ ... fugax.html

Alisa. :'( I am petrified
calluna

Re: Has anyone heard PROCTALGIA FUGAX

Post by calluna »

You don't need to be frightened Alisa.

Proctalgia fugax is not nice but it is pretty common - more so in women under the age of 45. It is believed to be due to muscle spasm, and yes it does hurt a lot. I used to get it quite often, less so now that I am older. It usually lasts less than 20 minutes and is not linked to any disease process. Your experience of at least 15 minutes is about par for the course, from my own experience.

So - it will go away. You will not get stuck like that, it doesn't happen. Breathe through it, focussing on your breathing ..... the more stressed that you let yourself become, the worse the pain will feel.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Alisa

I used to get those sensations very often before I had TG surgery; nowadays I do still get spasms more often when i have walked too far and when constipation is an issue. It will pass for you too.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
drds89

Post by drds89 »

I believe you have made the correct diagnosis and am sorry you had to go through it. Most doctors at least have heard of it --unlike PN-- and can give you the reassurance you already received here. Many will go to the ER the pain is so severe, only to find by the time that they are seen, the pain is (thankfully) gone, and they are embarrassed to have gone to the ER. [Not unlike the child with croup and trouble breathing, which the cold air 'heals' on the way].

Some had found relief by inserting a lubricated, gloved finger to break the spasm; I don't remember what the success rate is, apologies, but definitely worth a try if recurs.

Don
Fell skating 2008. Abnormal PNMLT R perineal branch 12/08. Pudendal block +relief for several hours. Complete recovery, off medications, using cushion after 9 months; re-injured late 2009 doing yardwork. Major flare after injections 2&3 Feb. 2010. No sitting/hyperprotecting since 2/2010 to present. Symptoms gradually better, but not like the first time; still with pain up to 5, but 1-3 most common and 0 while recumbent.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”