opinions?

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
gentle_artist

opinions?

Post by gentle_artist »

I have been suffering from pain, particularly when sitting, for about one year.
Last edited by gentle_artist on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kath

Re: opinions?

Post by Kath »

Hi,

I saw Dr Greenslade for the first time 3 weeks ago and he diagnosed me with PN. You could get a referral to him at his NHS hospital or do what I have done and paid privately for the inital consultation and now I am waiting to be referred onto his NHS list. He said the wait would be about 11 weeks.
Kath

Post by Kath »

Hi,

I saw Dr Greenslade for the first time 3 weeks ago and he diagnosed me with PN. You could get a referral to him at his NHS hospital or do what I have done and paid privately for the inital consultation and now I am waiting to be referred onto his NHS list. He said the wait would be about 11 weeks.
gentle_artist

Post by gentle_artist »

Thanks for the reply.
How much did the private consultation cost? I will have to pay for it because I have an excess on my policy.
Did he carrry out any kind of test?
Did he say what treatment options there might be?
Kath

Post by Kath »

Hi,

The consultation was £195 for an hour and that included an examination. My first line of treatment is medication, then if this is not sufficient, nerve blocks and then potential decompression surgery. He knows his stuff, is a very nice man and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. I called his secretary who got me an appointment within 10 days and then went to my GP to get a referral letter. Hope this helps.
Kath

Post by Kath »

Just to add, it is maybe worth keeping your London NHS appointment incase you want a second opinion. Who did you see in London?
gentle_artist

Post by gentle_artist »

I'm not sure what my GP will say about making another private appointment and keeping my NHS appt-are there any rules about this?
ow.
Last edited by gentle_artist on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Hi gentleartist - welcome to the forum!

I am also in the UK. I am waiting to see Dr Greenslade at the moment, my appointment is at the beginning of April, the waiting time was 10 1/2 weeks when I booked. (If I was nearer London then I'd be going to Baronowski, who needs the long train journey, not me...)

Your GP obviously thinks your pain is neuropathic as he has prescribed amitriptyline. Have you tried nortriptyline instead? It has much less by the way of side effects than amitriptyline, and much the same effect on neuropathic pain, often people who can't get on with amitriptyline are fine with nortriptyline. (I asked my GP why prescribe amitriptyline first, he said that many people are fine with it and it is 'cheap as chips', so it gets tried first.)

With regard to seeing Dr G - am I right in thinking that after you've had one private appointment, if you then choose to go through the NHS, you have to go on the waiting list? Because if that's the case, I'd be wanting to get on the list as soon as poss. But that's just me, and I can't afford to go private.

I have no idea about booking private appointments and also keeping your NHS appointment, but I can't see how there could be a problem, probably best to just ask your GP don't you think.

One other thing, I have found that lifestyle changes have been of more help than any medication. I have found cushions that really help - particularly this one - I don't sit without them. I pace myself, and I plan rests. I take care to exercise and I take care to relax. Life is still good.

I hope that things improve for you, too.
Kath

Post by Kath »

I agree with Calluna about lifestyle changes. I too find that minimising sitting, having lie down rests and just being careful not to overdo things when you are having a good day to be beneficial. So far I've not found a comfy cushion, am tempted to try that one from Amazon but it's alot of money if it's no good.
gentle_artist

Post by gentle_artist »

Thanks for your post Culluna.
Last edited by gentle_artist on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UK & IRELAND”