New to this Forum

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
pregmom

Re: New to this Forum

Post by pregmom »

Thank you Lernica :).

Actually this is my 2nd baby... I have a daughter who is 11 who I delivered at 29.5 weeks after 14 hrs of labor but the actual delivery she was out in about 3 pushes; of course she was so little, I had no tearing or anything. Now, at 43 yrs young, here i am again, at 32 weeks heading towards the finish line :) and extremely concerned of the aftermath as if you couldn't tell :(....

Thank you for your kind words!
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

if I were you, I'd just play it safe and have a C-section. Pregnancy is not shown to aggravate the pudendal nerve, but Vaginal Childbirth is.
http://pudendalhope.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=307

ps- Lernica, thanks for your comment
the PN pain I feel now is the exact same burning pain I remember experiencing while pushing out my babies for hours on end many years ago.
It answers my question for years... wondering if PN pain feels like childbirth. HA! Now I can tell all my "mom" friends that basically, I am in labor 24/7, so I'm pretty darn cool for getting anything done with this pain. Vindication!
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Great article, Pianogal. You're pretty darn cool with or without PN. ;)

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Thanks Lernica!: ) So are you!
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

If anything PregMom, you can show this to your doctor to request a C-section since it quotes Sultan's paper which stated that nerve damage could occur from attempting labor and going to a c-section. The quote is on the lower left side of the page in that link. Dr. Sultan has written a lot about delivery and the pudendal nerve; he had a paper saying that posterior presented babies (the kind that give you back labor) can result in pudendal nerve damage on the left side...which was tremendously validating considering that this was my case in a nutshell.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

celeste, why do you think only on the left side? oh... haha... left side of page, not left side of vulva! lol
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

pianogal wrote:celeste, why do you think only on the left side? oh... haha... left side of page, not left side of vulva! lol
No, both. The paper in the link has a quote from Dr. Sultan on the lower left side of the page, AND Dr. Sultan wrote another paper about left-side nerve damage in women who had had a posterior positioned baby. They're face up when they should be face down...so the less yielding part of their skull is pressing on the mom. You can sometimes tell a posterior lie in a pregnant woman because there is a flatter stomach, not nearly the intense need to urinate due to pressure on the bladder, and then back labor--instead of pain all over the back and abdomen, it's all focused in the lower spine. :shock:
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Celeste wrote: Dr. Sultan has written a lot about delivery and the pudendal nerve; he had a paper saying that posterior presented babies (the kind that give you back labor) can result in pudendal nerve damage on the left side...which was tremendously validating considering that this was my case in a nutshell.
Me too: posterior-presented babies; now left side pudendal pain. This is the first time I've heard about the connection. Validating indeed. If anyone can find this paper I'd appreciate seeing a copy. Thanks. I'll send it to my ob/gyn.

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Lernica wrote:If anyone can find this paper I'd appreciate seeing a copy. Thanks. I'll send it to my ob/gyn.
Here's a link to the abstract at least.
http://pubget.com/paper/8297863

I can't find the link to the whole paper. The abstract doesn't mention posterior presentation; I think it was in the full text, though.

sgrandy

Post by sgrandy »

It is a miracle that women get through childbirth with no lasting damage at all! If I were you, pregmom, I would inform your doctor that you do have the right to decide what happens with your own body. If he is not willing to perform a c-section then I would ask him to find someone for you who will. If it were me, I would not be having a vaginal birth with even the slightest hint of a problem with the pudendal nerve. My problems mostly stem from SI dysfunction and a pelvis that pops in and out of alignment which leads to mild pudendal neuralgia symptoms that come and go based on alignment as well as pelvic floor dysfunction due to the same issue. Given that, I have zero plans to ever have a vaginal birth and I will advocate for myself until the end of time to ensure that I am not rail-roaded into putting my body at risk for further problems. Remember, you will be the one who has to live with the consequences of having a vaginal birth not your doctor if it turns out that it causes more of a problem than you currently have (I also don't have pain when the nerve is pressed). It may very well be that you could have a vaginal birth with no detrimental effects...it really just depends on the chance you want to take and what you are comfortable with.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”