Surgery in Houston

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Violet M

Re: Surgery in Houston

Post by Violet M »

Ahhh, Greg, you are such a warm, fuzzy, huggable guy. :D

Did you get my PM's letting you know I had moved some threads into quarantine for the moderators to discuss? I had just finished editing some offensive statements out and moving some threads back into circulation when I discovered this new thread that you started. I'm sorry....I have a job and I have to work a lot of overtime so I'm not always able to keep up with the forum as well as I would like.

Could you please show me where on this forum the moderators have endorsed or made negative statements about any particular PNE team or doctor?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
donstore

Post by donstore »

I would like to make on observation from my personal experience. From what I understand the PN surgery is not a particularly difficlut procedure so that any doctor who has done it a lot is probably pretty proficient, There are surgeries that require a lot of surgical skill but from what I can gather the PN surgery is not one of them so since the surgery is in the same place all the time and there are only so many variables.As an x-ray tech, I go to the OR all the time for pacemaker placements and the company guy from the pacemaker manufacturer knows way more about the procedure than any of the cardiologists he is there to assist. He talks the doctors thru particularly challenging moments during the operation. If i had to choose one person to put a pacemaker in my body, I would choose him and he's not even a doctor.If you do one thing a lot and you're a reasonably smart person, you get good at it, regardles off your official title or specialty.Now results are certainly a valid measure of success although there are a lot of variables such as length and severity of extrapment,age, type of procedure performed, age, etc. all worthy of discussion. Thats what the forums are for, It's the only place where we go can on endlessly about our favorite subject without people's eyes starting to glaze over. It's where we help and inform and disagree with each other. Life without them would me even more isolationg and depressing than this miserable disease already is.

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

GregT wrote:You maybe need to look up the definition of the word "taunt", Karyn. I asked that question (and it is a little bit hard to taunt someone by asking a question, don't you think??) because they removed a statement similar to the one I made above only a few days ago. I've begun to wonder if this website would allow any positive statements about the Houston team or the traditional trans-gluteal surgical approach.

It was only natural for me to wonder if they would delete this positive comment about the Houston team too.
Greg, please. You're not merely asking an innocent question. You've got something going with ONE member of this forum. Your question about this site allowing positive statements about the Houston team or traditional TG could've very easily been answered if you read more of our site.
FROM THE TIPNA FORUM:

GregT
What's going on on pudendalhope.com
I know that many of you spend time over there, but I just want to point out some stuff that they're doing.

I made a post that was a positive post about the Houston team. They yanked it down and are deciding what to do with it. All I said was that the most cures that I knew of came from Houston.

Also, when I questioned Ali about the dreaded ligament topic (Ali tries to frighten everyone against having their ligaments cut, and he's also referred to how some other patients in France called Professor Robert "the butcher" for doing this), they take down my posts where I've refuted his statements (which are a combination of lies and great exaggerations). They do it under the guise that "we don't want arguments on our website", but I believe they've got some people over there who have their minds made up about the doctors, and it strongly influences what is and is not allowed on their website.

The only thing that I've ever taken down on this website was Ali's comment about Professor Robert, who has selflessly taught his TG surgery to probably 20-30 doctors around the world. This is the same doctor who did all of our surgeries in France at no benefit to himself. While we paid the hospital a paltry sum of money for the 2 days of being in the hospital, Professor Robert got nothing. The doctors who did the testing got around $350 each. The "butcher", again, got nothing. He continues to respond to my emails when I send him ones. He's as sweet and humble as people come, especially considering what all he has accomplished in this world.

Now, regarding me and my comments about Dr. Hibner, you all know that I've always spoken well about him, about his innovations which I hope(d) will bring about better surgical results. You know that when I saw him that I said "he's as nice as they all say", and how he went out of his way to get me an MRI while I was in Phoenix, the same thing that Dr. Potter is doing in New York, supposedly. The only negative thing I've ever said about Dr. Hibner is when others (yes, mainly Ali) have tried to exaggerate of over-inflate the results or successes of his surgery. I've taken a wait and see approach to his patients. He's quoted as having roughly the same surgical results as the Houston and Nantes team of doctors. He told me the same thing when I saw him in January.

So, you all who go to "hope" just be a little bit careful and wary of the slant that this group of moderators use when they decide what kind of posts to allow, who they seem to let run amuck with careless, reckless and false statements.

Yes, I will say that Celeste, who is on this and "hope" will defend the traditional TG surgery very fiercely. But, she's also about the only person still on the forums who is completely cured, and that cure just happened to be from the traditional TG surgery. Who could really blame her, and who could blame her for getting angry when others belittle and degrade the very surgery that cured her and changed her life forever?

I still recognize that the percentage of the people I know who got better just isn't high enough. My hope is that the population that I'm looking at are composed of those whose condition just went on for too long, causing permanent nerve damage. The perfect surgery wouldn't come close to curing them.

I just like to keep an open mind, allow spirited and even heated debates and for people to just be honest without any agendas, and I detest the idea that "hope" likes to quash any semblance of people disagreeing.

Greg

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:10 pm

GregT
Re: What's going on on pudendalhope.com
I just made a post on "hope" in the surgery section stating that I believe that the most cures are coming from the Houston team, that I believed in the idea of having a group of doctors doing the diagnostics, and that I believe in the idea of having a neurosurgeon do the surgery.

Then I asked them if they were going to delete this post.

Y'all keep an eye on it and let's see what happens. It'll be interesting.

This has nothing to do with "who's the best", but more so whether or not "hope" will allow people to speak positively about the Houston team of doctors.

Greg

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:01 pm

HOPEfully, your question has been answered.
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
GregT

Post by GregT »

Violet M wrote:Ahhh, Greg, you are such a warm, fuzzy, huggable guy. :D

Sarcasm noted. :roll:

Did you get my PM's letting you know I had moved some threads into quarantine for the moderators to discuss?

Yes, I did. Here's my opinion. It is offensive to have your post "quarantined" for the moderators to discuss. It takes time to make these posts and it irks me to have a post of mine quarantined. Why don't you all just leave the post up and if you feel the need to change it, then change it and spell out for everyone to see what parts you omitted or changed so that it is apparent/obvious to everyone what is considered to be offensive or against the code of conduct? This would be a way of letting people know where the line is and where it was crossed, rather than just immediately removing it.

I had just finished editing some offensive statements out and moving some threads back into circulation when I discovered this new thread that you started.

And, again, what is offensive? Who was offensive? If it is not spelled out, how is anyone to know? How will they know next time when they are posting if they are being "offensive" regarding how you or the other moderators define this word?

I'm sorry....I have a job and I have to work a lot of overtime so I'm not always able to keep up with the forum as well as I would like.

But aren't there like 5 or more moderators? And, again, why immediately remove the post? That, to me, is offensive, removing a post with no explanation.

Could you please show me where on this forum the moderators have endorsed or made negative statements about any particular PNE team or doctor?

I believe you told me that a post that I made which stated that I thought the Houston team had the most successes was being quarantined. I have also heard this from some tipna members, that you dare not mention anything positive about the traditional TG surgery on "hope" or you'll somehow be dogged or the post will be modified. Not having spent a lot of time on hope myself, I can't point them out to you. But, I have no reason not to trust the members of tipna who also participate on hope.
Had surgery in Nantes, France in 2001 with Professor Robert. I advocate physical therapy with PTs who specialize in the pelvic floor. I also advocate injections to help diagnose PN and I am in favor of having PN surgery to release the nerve when the diagnoses points to an entrapped nerve.
GregT

Post by GregT »

Greg's post:
I've found that the most cures are coming from the Houston team. I firmly believe in the idea of having a team of doctors who do the diagnostics and in having a neurosurgeon do the surgery.

Are y'all going to delete this?

Greg
Karyn,

What are you talking about with your post that's a few posts before mine? You say:
Greg, please. You're not merely asking an innocent question. You've got something going with ONE member of this forum. Your question about this site allowing positive statements about the Houston team or traditional TG could've very easily been answered if you read more of our site.
FROM THE TIPNA FORUM:
You then list a post on tipna where I'm asking my forum members about how certain situations are handled on "hope". The ones responding seem to agree with me, although you don't bother to include their posts in your post here.

And, yes, it is an innocent question and certainly not a taunt to ask "are y'all going to delete this", especially when I posted a simple post about the Houston team and that post was removed or quarantined. I have no idea what has been done with it.

Greg
Had surgery in Nantes, France in 2001 with Professor Robert. I advocate physical therapy with PTs who specialize in the pelvic floor. I also advocate injections to help diagnose PN and I am in favor of having PN surgery to release the nerve when the diagnoses points to an entrapped nerve.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Well Greg, it seems to me, based on your TIPNA posts, you aren't trying to engage mature, respectful conversation with members of the HOPE community. Appears more like: I'm going to throw this out there and see what I get for a response. Your intentions are not what I would call altruistic. More like passive-aggressive.
Karyn wrote:I just made a post on "hope" in the surgery section stating that I believe that the most cures are coming from the Houston team, that I believed in the idea of having a group of doctors doing the diagnostics, and that I believe in the idea of having a neurosurgeon do the surgery.

Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
GregT

Post by GregT »

Karyn wrote:Well Greg, it seems to me, based on your TIPNA posts, you aren't trying to engage mature, respectful conversation with members of the HOPE community. Appears more like: I'm going to throw this out there and see what I get for a response. Your intentions are not what I would call altruistic. More like passive-aggressive.
Karyn wrote:I just made a post on "hope" in the surgery section stating that I believe that the most cures are coming from the Houston team, that I believed in the idea of having a group of doctors doing the diagnostics, and that I believe in the idea of having a neurosurgeon do the surgery.

I made the post on my website. I've been on a pudendal website since 2001. Everyone knows who I am. The people on tipna do not seem to have a problem with my post. In fact, some have solidly agreed with me on this issue. It is a mature and respectful discussion and one that needs to be addressed if a pudendal website does not allow or censors positive comments about one of the foremost surgeons and teams dealing with PN in the U.S. Let's just say I'm trying to keep you guys and the moderators honest and fair to all of the providers. I do the same thing with Ali and all of his comments (I call them scare tactics) related to the ligament issue. If I become too much of a problem on here, trying to keep some form of balance, the mods can always ban me.

Greg
Faith

Post by Faith »

So Houston and Nantes teams have success rates of 33,33,33,1? Are there publications that tell that? And by the way I am not trying to say Hibner is the best. I have never met him. I just want to see published success rates. Will Houston operate if you have SIJD? I did at one time but not as much now. How do you join TIPNA? I tried and it said my emails were banned and I tried like 4 different ones! I'm glad you are here Greg to broaden our perspective. I just wish people woulnt get so hung up on "backing their doctor" and instead focusing on research and sharing experiences. I kind of think you will never be able to say a specific doctor is best because PN is so complex and each person presenting isnt exactly the same. It's not like having a hip replacement which is more cut and dry. Men with PN don't have hormones and childbirth to deal with like women. Then some have SIJD and tons of biomechanical issues while others don't. Our mechanism of injury is all so different. Some women have complex pelvic pain issues like IC, vulvodynia, etc. And some have complex pain issues like central sensitization going on.

It would be interesting to me to see how many people who have multiple issues like this and had surgery were cured from it. I think the numbers would probably be low.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
GregT

Post by GregT »

Faith wrote:So Houston and Nantes teams have success rates of 33,33,33,1? Are there publications that tell that?

Pretty much and yes, there are articles that state this.

And by the way I am not trying to say Hibner is the best. I have never met him. I just want to see published success rates.

Will Houston operate if you have SIJD?

From what I understand, if you suspect you have any issues with the SI joint, they'll send you to a PT in Houston who'll give them her opinion about the condition. Celeste can probably answer this particular question better.

I did at one time but not as much now. How do you join TIPNA? I tried and it said my emails were banned and I tried like 4 different ones!

Send me an email at admin@tipna.org. We'll figure it out.

I'm glad you are here Greg to broaden our perspective.

I'm sure there are great people on Hope. I just believe that a few are too set against certain things that aren't proven and are just their hunches or opinions, and I just want to offer another viewpoint.

I just wish people woulnt get so hung up on "backing their doctor" and instead focusing on research and sharing experiences. I kind of think you will never be able to say a specific doctor is best because PN is so complex and each person presenting isnt exactly the same. It's not like having a hip replacement which is more cut and dry. Men with PN don't have hormones and childbirth to deal with like women. Then some have SIJD and tons of biomechanical issues while others don't. Our mechanism of injury is all so different. Some women have complex pelvic pain issues like IC, vulvodynia, etc. And some have complex pain issues like central sensitization going on.

It would be interesting to me to see how many people who have multiple issues like this and had surgery were cured from it. I think the numbers would probably be low.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

I don't think anyone's ever claimed that pudendal nerve decompression can address other issues that people might have, though. If you have other issues going on, you'll need other avenues for getting rid of those other problems. Nothing says that compression of the PN is the only thing a person can have going on, and unfortunately some have a combination of problems and will have to chip away at it from different angles (I know I use that phrase all the time, but I really can't think of a better analogy). I think we see people have a need to connect many different pains and problems to the PN, and want for there to be one thing that fixes it all...sort of like an episode of "House", where disparate symptoms are all finally explained by one syndrome that has a simple fix.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org

Return to “SURGERY”