On Q Pain Pump

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Violet M

Re: On Q Pain Pump

Post by Violet M »

Mu understanding is that intrathecal pain pump is long-term while On-Q is temporary. Typically On Q is used post-op but theoretically it could be used at other times too -- maybe inserted using a long needle? I don't know, I haven't had one so I'm just guessing here but the instructions mention an introducer needle. http://www.iflo.com/pdf/products/1307112a.pdf

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
kathyd

Re: On Q Pain Pump

Post by kathyd »

Thanks Violet,
That makes sense. From what Ive read it sounds like the "On q pump" is a post surgical intervention.
I haven't read all the details, but maybe cause the person is resting and in a reclining position, they can receive the therapeutic amount of medicine right away, and feel numbed to the pain, as opposed to the intrathecal pump, where the dose has to build up slowly over a long period of time, for people who are mobile and whose goal is to be able to do the normal amount of daily life activity with much less pain. (They have to be careful with dosing so the person can be upright and walk etc.)

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”