swimming

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
smitzel

Re: swimming

Post by smitzel »

wow! thanks for all the helpful responses, I greatly appreciate them. Ok, I mush say... how sad is it that laughing can actually cause a flare. This condition is seriously $%&^#/!

Seriously, thanks
Stephanie
Suffering for 11 years after running marathons and weight lifting. Diagnosed with PN by Dr. Antolak in 2006 and Dr. Weiss in 2010. Taking Cymbalta, Gabapentin and Baclofin. Just made an appointment to see Dr. Hibner for MRI and consultation for surgery, can't get me in until Dec.
enid

Post by enid »

Swimming helped me a lot! My symptoms really decreased. However it's important for me to swim regularrly. I have take a break for more than 3 days I feel much worse.
smitzel

Post by smitzel »

What kind of strokes does everyone tend to do? I mostly do the back stroke and my neck gets sore but my PT recommended not to do the breast stroke.

Steph
Suffering for 11 years after running marathons and weight lifting. Diagnosed with PN by Dr. Antolak in 2006 and Dr. Weiss in 2010. Taking Cymbalta, Gabapentin and Baclofin. Just made an appointment to see Dr. Hibner for MRI and consultation for surgery, can't get me in until Dec.
nyt

Post by nyt »

No frog kicks that's why no breast stroke. I do the breast stroke and just let my legs hang behind me. I do a variety of strokes and exercises in the deep end with a floatation belt and sometimes the water weights. Since surgery I've been back in the pool about 3-4 weeks and it is slow going but everytime gets a little better. I find water walking just flares up my legs so I don't water walk.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

I have problem with feet also, so I can't walk much. PT says swimming is good for groin. Been doing it since first of year. I don't know if it is good for PNE, but it sure feels good to get some exercise even though I don't like swimming, specially in public pools.
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

I've always read not to do breast stroke too, because of the frog leg kicks causing repetitive hip flexion, but now Dr Dellon has confused me by saying specifically to DO Breast stroke (p.340 of ch 12). This is important to me as I really like to do breast stroke and swimming is the main exercise I am able to do. I had started doing breast stroke again, but think maybe I should play it safe and just do straight leg kicks.

Those of you who are Dellon patients, it would be great if you could ask him to shed more light on this. He obviously feels that water therapy is very important to prevent nerve re-entrapment.
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I know that breast stroke leg kick is going to result in more symptoms for me and like you I would much rather do that stroke (used to be good at it)
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

nyt wrote:Since surgery I've been back in the pool about 3-4 weeks and it is slow going but everytime gets a little better.
NYT,
Does being in the water help you at all? Not so much from an excerise standpoint, but even just to float? I just have a little 12 foot inflatable pool and it's been a godsend for me this summer!
It's not big enough for me to swim laps in, but I can do some limited exercises (dog paddle, gentle leg kicks, make large circles with my arms) and my most very favorite thing is diving and gliding from one side of the pool to the other. I love the feeling of being weightless and NOTHING hurts while in the water. I often wish I were a mermaid! :lol:
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
nyt

Post by nyt »

I just love the feeling of being in the water even though it is painful when I swim. However, it is the easiest place for me to get exercise. As we all know, not doing anything at all and laying in bed all the time is the worst thing one can do. It is all about finding that perfect balance, which by the way I'm terrible at!

Even if a dr. told me to do frog kicks I physically can't do it with my right leg because of the obturator nerve damage. I have tried in the past and I can bring my legs partly up to start but then my right leg just flops when I try to do the whip part of the kick. For me, when I tried in the past I could feel it pull in the area of Alcock's canal and then I would get a terrible flare in my perineum and rectum. So for me, no frog kicks.

We swim at our local "Y" 2-3 days a week and right now the pool is closed for maintenance until after Labor Day. My plan is to start going 4-5 days a week after Labor Day.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

nyt wrote:It is all about finding that perfect balance, which by the way I'm terrible at!
You're so not alone with that, NYT. ;) I'm very happy to hear the pool makes excerise easier for you. How about pain relief, though? Even temporary, from gliding or floating?
I'm so glad you have a pool local to you!
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”