Sitting

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
catherine a

Re: Sitting

Post by catherine a »

Most people in the UK and Australia wouldn't have health insurance cover Violet as we have a public healthcare system. Some people do take out extra private insurance anyway. When I lived in Scotland I didn't have private heatlh cover and didn't have it here in Australia until recently. We are very fortunate to have a healthcare system where everyone is treated the same at the doctor's surgery (minimal cost)or hospital at no cost. The costs are covered by taxpayers through our Medicare levy. NHS in the UK.

Pn'rs are struggling with thier insurance company for help with treatments. For example, there is no rebate for Botox and physio is only covered for limited visits in one year. I received more treatment and help through the public health system than I did with private health care. I did however have to keep on going from one doctor to another until I found one that fianlly listened and who took an interest in PN conditions. My pain specilaists both work at public hospitals and they have never charged me anthything. I only had to pay for my medications and we get these subsidised too. I think wer'e very fortunate to live in a country where medical care is available to everyone regardless of how much it costs. It might fall short sometimes, but there are many countries where people can't afford good medical care.

The Roho cushion I purcahsed cost me I think around Aus.$140 bought online from the Roho shop. US. I looked up an Australian site and the price would have been around $500. So anyone out there who wishes to purchase a Roho, I suggest you buy it yourself online and not from a local supplier. It's outlasted all my other cushions by far and is the most comfortable.
2004 PNE following vag. hysterectomy and A & P repair. 2007 TIR surgery France. severe entrapment at Alcocks canal & SS ligaments . Have my life back. 90% cured.No longer have medical appts.or physio.Some pain remains but is tolerable. 2012 Flew from Australia to the UK without pain flare. Very manageable. Almost back to normal. Now hold support group meetings at KEMH Subiaco Perth WA. Every 2nd Sat. of the month. Still pace my activities. PN doesn't dominate any more.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

catherine a wrote:Most people in the UK and Australia wouldn't have health insurance cover Violet as we have a public healthcare system.
Yes, there are many faults with the NHS system here in the UK but cost isn't often one of them, mercifully! Great to read you have a similar set up in Australia, Catherine - though very sad to read on your case update that it still cost you your life savings :(. But 90% cured, what a fantastic outcome for you!! Yay!!!!! (we need a party/thumbs-up smiley on here!).

Not sure if Lenny has additional private health cover, he may well have up in the Highlands where access to a doctor is limited. He's previously mentioned Baranowski's fees which wouldn't come into the picture if he was an NHS patient, but I bet any private health cover here wouldn't recognise PN-related desks and seating :evil: .

Some of these ortho cushions are a complete rip off price-wise (as are many other "disability" items). Sometimes I've been tempted to buy my own contour or memory foam in a block and cut it to individual requirements since we don't all have the same size bum, nor the same problem with that bum! I had an idea after reading Jude's post I think it was on Tipna, or maybe PelvicPain (sorry!) where she says she uses 2 pool noodles cut into strips inserted into a cushion cover and balances her buttocks between those. She says she can sit for 5hrs driving, through a film/theatre/restaurant. Wonderful!! Regretfully I decided the pool noodles would be too thin for me and then I happened to be in the Family Bargains store at Staples Corner Retail Park, NW2, (I think they're part of the 99p Stores chain) and saw a thickly contoured memory foam leg spacer, y'know the ones that keep your knees apart for sleeping. After experimenting and using it variously as a leg spacer, neck pillow, and arm support (all good), I went back and bought another one (complete bargain at £7.95). Placed both leg spacers on my chair and then put the back of each of my thighs in each of the nice thick curved sections and hung my nether regions inbetween. Bliss!!! Can sit for much longer with this arrangment than any of my cushions, cos it doesn't hurt the backs of my legs either.

Here's a couple of links for the USA, would you believe I can't find any online ones here in the UK (?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HoMedics-Orth ... 09wt_38748
http://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-Therapy- ... B000GB1HKA
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.
birdlife

Post by birdlife »

PS. When I said i couldnt find any UK links, I meant for the exact type I bought which the box says is a HoMedics product. Lots of other ones about. I liked this particular one because its got rounded contoured edges and a removable cover. Just did find one solitary link here in the UK and it was advertised at £48, when I got it for £7.95 (?!?) - see what I mean about overcharging!
PN, possible entrapment at ischial spine -Dr.Natasha Curran, National Hospital for Neurology, London.
2 -Xray guided double nerve blocks -Dr.Baranowski - no relief.
TP self-massage reduced piriformis pressure on p nerve.
Dr.Greenslade/Bristol:
CT guided block (left) 16.7.12- success! Could sit without a cushion! On a brick wall!
06/2/13 - Sit pain gradually returned, L3. Offered further CT-guided block, or an op. Had to decline at time.
Feb '15. Applying to be referred again to Dr G.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”