any benefit to nerve block at alcock canal location?

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Violet M

Re: any benefit to nerve block at alcock canal location?

Post by Violet M »

I don't know Lexie -- there are stronger opioids than vicodin but I don't know if you want to go there. Clonazepam helped me some with shooting pains.

Have you ever tried an inferior hypogastric plexus block?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uterovagin ... s_(nerves)

"The Uterovaginal plexus is a division of the inferior hypogastric plexus. In older texts, it is referred to as two structures, the "vaginal plexus" and "uterine plexus".
The Vaginal Plexus arises from the lower part of the pelvic plexus. It is distributed to the walls of the vagina, to the erectile tissue of the vestibule, and to the clitoris. The nerves composing this plexus contain, like the vesical, a large proportion of spinal nerve fibers."
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Lexie,
I have taken tramadol 50 mg and it helps and sometimes oxycodone APAP 5-325mg but like Violet said you may noot want to gothereespecially the oxy on a regular basis.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
calluna

Post by calluna »

I have found tramadol to be quite helpful - the full dose is 400 mg per day but I don't take it at night (it gives me disturbed sleep) so my max is 200mg. Best pain management with this, from my experience, is using slow release.

Also good is oxycodone, which I am told is stronger than hydrocodone - that's what's in Vicodin, I believe. I do take it occasionally but it is very addictive so I have to be careful.

With regard to pregabalin, this did help when we got it up to 250mg a day. When I was post-op I was taking pregabalin plus tramadol plus paracetamol (acetaminophen) plus ibuprofen (Motrin).

Wish I could suggest something helpful. Don't forget to keep using ice.
lexie

Post by lexie »

Violet, janet and calluna.
this is all very helpful and I will try these options but I think I am allergic to oxycontin and oxycodin.

I have tramadol and will try this on a regualr basis and also I will look into the clonazapem,

thanks violet for thee info on the nerve details but I am going home now in december or january as I can no longer stay here and try more nerve injections as I wish I had seen hibner to at least discuss the optionsof these other nerves.

do you think I could get this done by an obgyn adn not go to phoenix and have it done via ultrasound maybe but hten again they need to talke medicare which hibner does for me. going to phoenix is the best option now that I think about it but I have to go hme.

I will take this info on this nerve you have mentioned above and if I cna get back I will make an appt. with hibner and discuss this with him or have someone ask him about this.

today I rested alot and walked a good bit and sat for 15 mins and I was Ok ish but i get bad once i go to the bathrom and poop!! I dread going to the bathroom cos I know it will take 2 days for it to go down. I am ogin got keep taking mirilax every day and tons of water so that I am not straining in anyway and hopfeully that will help me. thank you all I will stay in touch and I hope you are all doing better in some way.
this info you have given me in invaluable--I THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!! ---love lexie
calluna

Post by calluna »

Know exactly what you mean about pain following a BM, by the way. Horrible. For me, it seems to be the pushing that does it - the involuntary pushing that happens by itself. When I had a biofeedback session and they were asking me to push in order to measure the response - it hurt. And a flare afterwards. I think perhaps the thing to remember is that it does go away. I keep reminding myself. Although not so easy at the time.

Think you are being very sensible taking Miralax/Movicol every day, and plenty of water, so no straining - I take a magnesium capsule every evening and it makes everything a lot easier. Plus Movicol on days when I take oxycodone. Anyway, really hope this helps you.

I do hope things improve for you soon, lexie. Lots of us thinking of you, anyway. :)
lexie

Post by lexie »

Thanks Calluna,
I wish I could help someone on here.............i feel I am always asking ofr help. when i was better in the past i did try to post hings hta helped me and i hope that got to someone on here b/c in the past for me, rest, walking and not getting constipated was the key for me along with muscle relaxans etc and amitryptylene which was a godsend to me in the past.

anyway I dont want to jinx myself but there is a very slight improvment..aobut 0.5% if that.
I notice that after bowel movement the clitoral pain sets in and I must NOT sit right after that cos the irritated nerve is then hell to sit on,

so I poop (sorry about the wording here everyone) and then walk or rest until the slight sharpness subsides.

lets see how this pans out. I amonly one 3 lyrica a day 50mg each is that enough and 600mg gabapentin per day.

is thisenough somehting tellsme ist not enough to be honest.
anyone know a dr. dellon in the usa and where he is..hes supposed to be god with clitoral pain--anyone know--but hten again does he take medicare as Hibner takes medicare thank god.

love lexie XX
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Lexie,
You may be helping others just with asking for help and we answeryour question and someone else benefits. In the early stages it is like that but you can keep the forum in mind as you get better and then help others. I am on 1500mg Gabapentin and it helps some but most guidance says higher than that is needed to really make a difference. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Dr Dellon from Baltimre Maryland does not take any insurance. Hopefully someone can give you an alternative?
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
calluna

Post by calluna »

Hi again lexie - with regard to gabapentin, people usually have to take it up to 1800 mg a day before they start to get any relief, some people have had to take it as high as 3600mg.

With regard to pregabalin/Lyrica, people usually need 300mg to get effective pain relief, I have heard of people needing to go as high as 600mg.

But it is really important that you do not change the doses you are taking, not by yourself. You need to see a doctor and follow their advice. For a start, you are taking both these meds together and that is not usually done. If you are not getting good pain management with your current combination of meds - and it really does sound that you are struggling at the moment - then please do see your doctor about this.

No idea re which doctors might suit you, sorry - am in the UK here.
lexie

Post by lexie »

Hi calluna,
my doc said it was ok to take these together as far as I remember but they are low doses.
How much does lyrica cost in the uk. I have no insurance here in the states or health insurance in ireland so here in the usa its about $400 for a months supply on a low dose.
Can I get htis cheap in the uk or ireland somehow.
can you let me know I have no way of finding out from here.

thanks calluna

love lexie
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lexie, I'm not sure who told you about Dr. Dellon. The results of patients who have been to him and posted on our forum have not been very successful.

I've not heard of taking both lyrica and gabapentin -- they are closely related drugs. Most people say they have to take at least 1800 mg of gabapentin a day to get any pain relief. Some patients have posted that they are taking much larger amounts.
If you go back to Ireland I hope you can drop in now and then and let us know how you are doing. We missed you for awhile before and I was wondering how you were. I'm sorry you didn't get cured yet but I'll keep hoping for that!

Hugs,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”