Pharmaceutical R&D on neuropathic pain

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
Dave

Re: Pharmaceutical R&D on neuropathic pain

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:Supposedly there have been some recent advances in spinal cord stimulation. We don't have too many posts on that topic, though I've heard it can be very effective against many forms of chronic pain. I can do some research on that, and I'll post it in the neurostimulation section.

See my post in the Neurostim Section:
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =33&t=3335
jogom

Post by jogom »

Very interesanting post. I yet don´t understand how it works. Is an implant system? It looks as a promising way of research for lower back pain.
Following your list I´ve found http://www.empr.com/phase-3-study-of-av ... le/226856/
How does it follow?. Do they have to ask FDA for aprobation?
I don´t know what´s happening with NGX-1998.
The other drugs seems to be on a very early stage, some of them in preclinic.
The worst part for me is that my neuropathy was clasified as Idiopathic, so I don´t know what kind of neuropathy pain killer can help me. diabetic neuropathy pain? hiv neuropathy pain? postherpetic neuropathy pain? gen mutation neuropathy pain? I hope that tramadol keeps helping me working untill i get the retiremente age at less, nothing new will i see on my lifetime... In my country I can´t buy Tapentadol. Is it best than tramadol?
Dave

Post by Dave »

jogom wrote:Very interesanting post. I yet don´t understand how it works. Is an implant system? It looks as a promising way of research for lower back pain.

Spinal cord stimulators are implanted and usually emit a tingling sensation (paraesthesia) to block pain signals.

See: http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/22

Supposedly, the Nevro unit will block pain without the tingling.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi, please see the attached spreadsheet of potential drug therapies in development.
pain R&D.xlsx
Future pain drug spreadsheet
(39.9 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
jogom

Post by jogom »

That´s what i´ve searched for several months. You put a lot of valuable information there. Thanks a lot. Now let´s pray for the success of most of them.
jogom

Post by jogom »

As i see, AVP-923 failed to be approved by FDA, because on the tials there were death people. Really very sad for us, because it was very promising.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jogom wrote:As i see, AVP-923 failed to be approved by FDA, because on the tials there were death people. Really very sad for us, because it was very promising.
Hi, I may not have seen the same report that you've seen, but I do not think that this is exactly the case for AVP-923.

A few years ago Avanir had higher rate of death in the drug treated group than in the placebo group in a study for treating ALS / Lou Gehrig's disease. I do not believe that there was any similar problem in the diabetic neuropathy studies.

I've learned, unfortunately, that the drug is on hold for the indication of diabetic neuropathy for several reasons:

1.  Avanir conducted their diabetic neuropathy studies using 30 mg quinidine when they now prefer to use 10 mg (for perceived safety reasons I believe).

2.  Avanir wants to focus on neuropathy for multiple sclerosis, a niche market with no competition and requiring a smaller salesforce.  This is in phase 2 and uses the 10 mg quinidine dose.

Bottom line is that there will be much delay for AVP – 923, but I do no believe it has failed.  Please let me know if you seen any recent news report that says otherwise.
jogom

Post by jogom »

You can read it there
http://www.gekkowire.com/?p=5206
You have to jump page by page untill the end.
The older name of AVP923 was Zenvia. Of course, for several people, the failure of this drug is a great new, if they invested on nasdaq on other company that search other drugs for neuropathic pain. If i misunderstood the whole article, sorry, but my english is very limited.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jogom wrote:You can read it there
http://www.gekkowire.com/?p=5206
You have to jump page by page untill the end.
The older name of AVP923 was Zenvia. Of course, for several people, the failure of this drug is a great new, if they invested on nasdaq on other company that search other drugs for neuropathic pain. If i misunderstood the whole article, sorry, but my english is very limited.
The article is from 2010. As I explain above, they are reformulating to lower the quinidine dose to 10 mg and targeting the MS market. This slows things down, but the drug is not failed.

Dave
jogom

Post by jogom »

Thanks for the clue. I hope then they put the project out of the freezer and beging the trials with the new formulation. In the last two years I see they didn´t.
By the way, i found that very interesating page
http://www.nature.com/nrd/journal/v11/n ... 24_T1.html
Anyway, those drugs aren´t available on my country. In fact as i don´t have qutenza, i started to prove capsaicine cream 0,075%. It really helps me a little, but the first half an hour after the application I felt a terrible burning. I think that it´s the way the thing works, but i will save it for cases of terrible pain.

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”