Questions on post-op journey

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Barb

Re: Questions on post-op journey

Post by Barb »

I'm back with a question for the group. I am continuing my post-op recovery and of course, I always get online when I am in a flare and need support and advice. I can not determine what I have been doing that is causing more flares lately. This last one was caused, I think, by doing a stretch of my back. I was doing the cat stretch where you arch your back while on your knees with your palms on the floor. Does that make sense? I am thinking I could have engaged my core, but if I did it was not much. It has been a year since my surgery, so I was thinking I could begin some exercises, but I guess not. :(

I am also having a lot of internal pain on the opposite side from the surgery. The PT said it felt very puffy and inflamed. I have a lot of scar tissue from the mesh, so I am sure that is part of the reason. It just feels very irritated and the irritation is making the back of my leg feel tingly, and gives me PN type pain. This is my good side that has not had surgery, so this is very frustrating. Any suggestions???

Acupuncture is actually helping with the surgery scar and for that I am very grateful. I am also walking a lot and that seems to help......at least release of the endorphins help with my mood. :)

Hope everyone is doing well.

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Barb, I know it's frustrating trying to figure out what might be causing the pain to creep back in. For me the pain usually doesn't show up the same day of an activity. Sometimes it slowly creeps in over several months when I am trying a new exercise routine and I just have to back off and try something different. It's taken years since surgery to figure out what I can and can't do. I couldn't do much just a year after surgery but now 10 years later I have a great exercise routine. So take it slow and easy -- you'll get there. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Blossum

Post by Blossum »

Hi Barb
Just thought I would say that it is great that you are trying exercises and stretches..... Sorry it causes "flares". I am so afraid to try new things. I am finally feeling good that I don't want to jinx this. I only walk and do light leg and arm lifts. I am so paranoid of this PN pain coming back in full force! Do you feel that way as well? I actually went to see a movie for this the first time in 3 years yesterday!!!! Yeah!!! I sat on my good side and wiggled around and of course brought a new custom made cushion. I would say, just take it easy and remember this will take us a good 2-3 years to recover. Baby steps!

Take care!!!
PNE since 2011, started from a routine gynecology surgery. TG surgery Dr Hibner 2013..... Nerve pain improved.
Barb

Post by Barb »

Thanks Violet and Blossum,

I actually feel great today. I had to go to a board meeting this morning and I sat with no cushion and I was fine. It gives me a lot of encouragement, because the last time I went to this meeting, which was about 3 months ago, I sat on my cushion and was still uncomfortable. I know this may only be temporary, but it still feels wonderful.

Thanks Violet for reminding me that this takes time and patience. I know that, but I still need to be reminded. I have made great progress, but when I have a flare, I get frustrated. I did find out that a lot of my pain is coming from a trigger point in the levator ani muscle. It feels better, but just takes time to resolve.

Blossum, I would be interested in what kind of cushion you have. So great you were able to go to a movie. I still haven't tried that yet and it has also been three years since I have been to the movies. I asked my pain doctor about lidocaine infusions and he hasn't done those, so guess I am out of luck with that. He is talking about a PFCN block for the pain in the gluteal fold, but he hasn't done those either, or if he has, he has not done many, so I think I will wait.

Thanks for the advice!
Take care.

Barb
12/10- Vaginal prolapse surgery. Surgeon used mesh. Had incredible complications.
11/11- mesh removed at UCLA.
PT diagnosed hypermobile SI joint
5/13- Potter MRI.... pelvic floor scarring causing entrapment of the inferior perineal branches and the dorsal nerves to the clitoris.
9/13- Prof Aszmann discovered entrapment at ST/SS ligament causing more pain than dorsal nerve....he opted for TG surgery. Also had injection to calm down inflammation at ischial tuberosity. Still healing
Blossum

Post by Blossum »

Hi Barb
I found this store that makes furniture for restaurants.... so I kindly asked them if they would make me a "custom cushion". I gave them the measurements of my car seat and my "butt" and they made a 2 inch thick beautifully wrapped cushion. The material is custom (almost like a lazyboy type furniture material) and it has a zipper so I can wash it if I need it. I paid $80 cash. The lady made it in one day. When I picked it up I cried when I saw it. No more lugging around my ugly old cushion. I am proud to carry this gorgeous new one with me everywhere I have to sit. I love it! I will have it for years.
How are you feeling? I'm doing good......fingers crossed.
PNE since 2011, started from a routine gynecology surgery. TG surgery Dr Hibner 2013..... Nerve pain improved.

Return to “SURGERY”