Any neurosurgeons for this trapped nerve in groin

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
acw

Re: Any neurosurgeons for this trapped nerve in groin

Post by acw »

Hi Hank,

The doctor suggested the cryoablation. I think the other method that I read about on their website at the time was RF ablation, and I had asked if that was an option, but he said that the cryo was a better option for this situation. I didn't ask a lot of questions why, as long as I knew that he had considered both and recommended the cryo method.

At the time, I did have some relief from a couple injections, but the relief was very short-lived and he didn't want to be repeating them frequently. He said the relief from the cryoablation should be at a similar level, but last longer (possibly permanent). It's been a while now, but I think it was May 2007 that I had that done. I found the relief to be even more effective than the nerve block injections. Some discomfort started to return about 6 months later, although not nearly at the level it had been. I did inquire about the possibility of having the cryoablation done again, and the doctor agreed that was an option. So in February 2008 (9 months after the first treatment), he did another cryoablation. I haven't had any issues since then, and don't think about it much anymore. There is some numbness in the area, but I really didn't notice that after the initial healing period. I think some of the sensation has actually returned over the years.

The cryoablation procedure itself was pretty easy. Guidance was done under fluoroscopy. The probe has a tip on that can also send an electrical signal (in addition to doing the freezing), which was used to verify it was in the correct location before doing a freezing cycle. The doctor would guide the probe based on initial marks he made when asking me to point the the area of the pain, the fluoro, and other "landmarks" to get him to the nerve. Then he would send this small pulse to ask if it was in the area where I had the discomfort. If so, he would do a freeze cycle; if not, he would reposition the probe and try again. They numbed the superficial area of the skin where the probe was inserted, and there was a very tiny incision which was just covered by a small band-aid afterward. I used to describe the scar as about the size of a pencil eraser (maybe 1 cm?), but this many years later you can't even see it anymore. You have to be awake during the procedure in order to give feedback on the positioning of the probe, but I did get a mild IV sedative during the first procedure. It was so easy that when I went in for the second procedure I actually requested to do it without the IV sedation and did fine (although wouldn't recommend that for everybody).

I'm thrilled with the results. I had been to several doctors who weren't much help before I was referred to this physician, and only wish I would have found him sooner.

Anita
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Anita,

Thank you for sharing your success with cryoablation. I was wondering about the procedure the doctors used and appreciate the information you provided. Do you remember if you had a pain flare after the cryoablation, before you began to feel the relief from your pain?

Thank you,

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
acw

Post by acw »

HI Stephanies,

The nerve pain relief was basically immediate after the cryoablation procedure. I remember a bit of soreness/stiffness in the hip area afterwards, but I think that was more related to the procedure, positioning, probe being inserted, etc.

Anita
hank3.14

Post by hank3.14 »

acw wrote:HI Stephanies,

The nerve pain relief was basically immediate after the cryoablation procedure. I remember a bit of soreness/stiffness in the hip area afterwards, but I think that was more related to the procedure, positioning, probe being inserted, etc.

Anita
Hi Anita,

Can you tell me the name of the Minnesota clinic and its location where the cryoablation of the ilioinguinal nerve was done?
acw

Post by acw »

hank3.14 wrote: Hi Anita,

Can you tell me the name of the Minnesota clinic and its location where the cryoablation of the ilioinguinal nerve was done?
It was done by Dr David Schultz at MAPS Medical Pain Clinics in the Twin Cities area. There are several locations, and I"m not sure which ones Dr Schultz is currently working out of now. You can check out their website at www.painphysicians.com for a list of locations.
Dr. Jason G. Attaman

Post by Dr. Jason G. Attaman »

hank3.14 wrote:
janetm2 wrote:Hank,
You may try searching in this forum in the right top box for ilioinguinal to see if anyone has a post with some doctor or lead.
Janet
Thanks Janet. Yes, I did a search here and found out about Jason Attaman, DO, of Seattle. He may treat this and he does do PRF (pulsed radiofrequency) which I know, sadly, is NOT covered by any insurance in the US.

Some good news: Today I got a phone call from a medical school in my state. The woman who called me told me about an anesthesiologist who uses PRF for chronic physical pain problems. I hope I can see her in time and have proper medical treatment for this nerve-caused physical suffering and misery.

Though there's been indifference, neglect, obstacles, roadblocks and dead-ends that I encounter, I keep getting hope renewed now and then.
I have indeed treated treated many cases of ilioinguinal neuralgia and pulsed radiofrequency treatment (PRF) is one such treatment option.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”