Gp Problem

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
johnd.h

Re: Gp Problem

Post by johnd.h »

Hello Gentle Artist, I hope I can be of help to you. As previously mentioned by Helen I did pay privately to see Professor Carlstedt, that was back in November 2010 and he told me that surgery was out of the question until I had been properly assessed, and so I was referred to Dr. Baranowski, again privately. Had the Nerve Blocks, and surgery was recommended.

Now, both of these Gentlemen can be seen on the NHS, but there is the obvious delay and of course you have to get round this problem of your GP. My advice first of all is to ask to see another GP for a second opinion, it is your right to do so. Don't be fobbed off by your current GP. Believe me, if you push hard enough, you will get referred, but you have to really be assertive, and prepared to do whatever is necessary to get the referral. It shouldn't be that way, but it is, so go for it. I would include contacting your MP in that if needed.

You might consider having a private telephone conversation with Professor Carlstedt, it will cost you £50, explain your symptoms and ask for his advice, explaining that you need to go via the NHS route and are having trouble getting referred by your GP. He is a very warm and understanding man, I believe he will help if he can. Pm me if you need contact details.

Another option would be to try Dr.Greenslade in Bristol, from what I have been told he is very keen to get his patients to go the NHS route, and the waiting time seems to be far less than in London. Had I not had Private Health Insurance, that is the route I would have taken. By the way, my Health Insurance expires at the end of April, so I have sought the help of Professor Carlstedt in getting the surgery (bilateral in my case) done within that time frame. He has been totally accomodating. Had the right side done on 22nd March, one week after my telephone conversation with him, having the left done this Thursday.

I, and many others on this forum, totally understand your frustration, but trust me, you can get this sorted, be brave, be assertive and be determined.

Always here for advice if I can help.

John
johnd.h

Post by johnd.h »

Sorry, Gentle Artist, having read your post again, I see it is Dr. Greenslade that you want to be referred to, maybe a private phone conversation with him would be a first step, instead of Professor Carlstedt, although I can't speak too highly of Prof. C.

Good luck, persevere.

John
johnd.h

Post by johnd.h »

Just looked at my last letter from Prof. Carlstedt, and he is referred to as a 'Consultant Nerve and Hand Surgeon' rather than Orthopaedic.

John

Return to “UK & IRELAND”