Severing ligaments -- does it matter?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
A's Mommy

Re: Severing ligaments -- does it matter?

Post by A's Mommy »

Thank you, Ali, for posting this. I am so appreciative that Dr. Hibner took the time to clarify these points for the PNE community.

Like I've always said, I can grieve not being able to run again and things like that, but I CANNOT give up fighting for as normal of a life as possible. And for me, the only way to that is a TG surgery.

A's Mommy

PS: I hope I can be of help to anyone on the forums. That is my true wish.
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
ezer

Post by ezer »

Thanks for the clarification Ali.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
JODDY

Post by JODDY »

Severing ligaments--- does it matter? It matters to me!
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Actually, Dr. Renney is in his 60s and still climbing. He climbed Mt. Elbrus (Russia) when he was over age 60; it's one of the Seven Summits. He tells me he's not going to go for Everest (the tallest of the Seven) but if he did attempt it, I can 't say it would surprise me because he's just really into it.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
ezer

Post by ezer »

Between Dr.Hibner and Dr.Roche/Prof.Robert/Dr.Ansell/Dr.Wong etc... I see a difference in philosophy but so far there is not a discernible difference in outcome.
I appreciate Dr.Hibner's willingness to improve the outcome of surgery but I am wondering if the neurowrap, pain pump, reconstruction of the ligament do not come with their own set of problems. Off topic but some neurosurgeons believe nerve-wraps are just a gimmick for example.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Excellent points, and I totally agree. I think patients want to know that they have the best possible prediction of outcome going into surgery, but we still aren't in a place where we know who will or won't get well from surgery. No matter how badly we want that assurance, wishing doesn't make it so.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Ezer,
At least none of Dr. Bautrant's or Dr. Hibner's patients developed SIJD issues.Dr. Hibner and Dr. Bautrant can vouch for that.That's one step forward in the right direction.Whereas the patients of both the Houston and the Nantes team have patients with SIJD issues all over the board.

As far as the results are concerned,there are no gaurantees from these kind of PNE surgeries and it needs to be evolved tremendously to get better results.Both TG and TIR surgeries are flawed surgeries with very low success rate.So as the ligament debate goes,either don't touch it like Bautrant's TIR surgery or repair it with Cadavers like Hibner.It is always Better safe than being sorry.
Regards,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

The biomedical publication from the University of Michigan drives my beliefs and all the suffering of the patients that I have heard after their TG approach from the Houston team as well as Nantes.Further on,Following is the presentation by Dr. Bautrant that was translated by Ezer I believe.
The first thing is to learn how the ligaments work and what is their purpose and why God created them.

http://www.engin.umich.edu/class/bme456 ... ligten.htm

http://www.pudendalhope.org/sites/defau ... comes.pdfe

Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

I wanted to share something I learned yesterday about Dr. Antolaks & Dr. Conways TG approach in regards to the ST ligaments. They make a verticle, center slice to gain access. Dr. Conway informed me that by the time they're ready to sew you back up, the ligaments are already rejoining themselves. For extra insurance, they do stitch the incision, using dissolvable stitches. Is this right? Is this wrong? I don't know. I'm merely passing on information that was presented to me. Something else to ponder in the world of ligaments! :P
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

Karyn wrote: I wanted to share something I learned yesterday about Dr. Antolaks & Dr. Conways TG approach in regards to the ST ligaments. They make a verticle, center slice to gain access. Dr. Conway informed me that by the time they're ready to sew you back up, the ligaments are already rejoining themselves. For extra insurance, they do stitch the incision, using dissolvable stitches. Is this right? Is this wrong? I don't know. I'm merely passing on information that was presented to me. Something else to ponder in the world of ligaments! :P

Just to clarify, Karyn, it sounds like there are at least 3 approaches being used??? 1st is severing the ligament with no repair, 2nd is Dr.Hibner's method of repairing the ligament with cadaver tissue, and 3rd is the method you described above, in which the ligament is sliced vertically and sutured shut again without cadaver tissue? That is the first I have heard of that, also makes me wonder if these are the only 3 approaches being used. Thanks for sharing it.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.

Return to “SURGERY”