Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Griff522

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Griff522 »

My OS found my hernias through ultrasound. He works closely with a radiologist that actually does the ultrasound. They had me perform the valsalva maneuver during the ultrasound and that's how they could see it. Basically, they had me hold the back of my hand to my mouth and blow into the back of my hand and not release air. Kind of hard to explain. I would think a medical professional would be familiar with it. Anyway, it caused my abdomen to sort of expand and then the tissue would balloon out of the hernia holes. And your right, most OS don't do that kind of thing, but this guy went above and beyond to help me find the source of my pain.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I know I have said it before Griff but this technique sounds so weird but so very convincingly apt. I simply have no clue WHY it isn't employed across the board. Too simple? too non tech?? Sometimes, in this world it is only worthwhile if it costs. . . . .
Which is nonsense of course!
Meanwhile not employing something so simple may cost people like you years of suffering.

Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

Pizzarios

I agree with Griff about taking prozac. If it helps why not take it? I'm currently on Lyrica but would much rather be on something like prozac. At least that has been around long enough that there have been ample studies on its side effects, long term effects etc. I know what you say about not wanting to take medications of any kind. I hate most aspects of taking medications; the side effects, the routine, the cost etc. But if it were me and it helped I would take it. Its not easy taking other peoples advice about taking medication so its pretty much up to you.

As for the hip it sure sounds like a tear. Literally. If you are hearing the popping and clicking those are hallmark signs I believe. I've had them for years but never thought much of it til recently. Keep in mind that the quicker you get it done the easier the surgery will be (in theory) as the tear can potentially get worse as time goes by.
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Another vote for the prozac but agree it is up to you. I did not think I needed anything and then when I started the Gabapentin to help with the pain, a cloud came off of me. It was a significant difference. Had I known I would have taken something earlier but it all worked out. It was only a few weeks from when my GP asked if I needed anything and I said I would need more than they have if the surgery failed! Although nothing is perfect it seems every little bit helps. Good luck and take care
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Does anyone know of anyone who experienced PN pain relief from labral repair/FAI surgery who did NOT have a psoas release ( other than Lernica)? It seems like everyone who has had good results had a psoas release and I know it's pretty common for Dr Coleman to do this.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Faith
How are ya?
I don't fall into the category you mentioned,but I did have a psaos release with my right hip labrum tear repair. Ironically as you know, when I got to Dr Andrew he says according to him my psoas muscles was like a rock,--- one of the tighest he'd seen. (my PT agreed)
Coincidentally Dr Coleman called and wanted me to come in for a follow-up to see how i was now doing. I refused saying that if this re-evaluation would be to address my pain I would come, but otherwise it wouldn't be worth the trip.. (they even offered to pay tolls and parking)
They basically wanted to check on my status as part of completing their study.
They mentioned possibly another MRI of the left side.

Dr Coleman asked if the PSoas was now looser due to his release? .. I told him it just the opposite!
Who knows what that surgery did? I didn't think it caused damage however, at some point during the rehab PT I had following this surgery ,my ability to sit deteriorated more and more,----and by the end of the rehab, my local driving was decreasing quite a bit. So in thinking back maybe that surgery also hadsomething to do with putting im my present state of severe pain with sitting etc.. Not sure?

I've always blamed the nerve recsection surgery done in 2011 for my anal rectal pain, as within about 3mos post surgery the awful rectal pain came on but may be the labral surgery was a part of my pain picture?
Tho I had a labral tear did it really need to be repaired as unlike others I had no hip pain or clicking popping? I

Justing thinking out loud and trying forever to solve this puzzle. It is complicated..Have you gottne any closer to finding relief or answers? I hope so.
Pls let me know how you are doing..
Thinking of you .
kathy
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Faith,

You might be interested in what "Katy Says" about psoas releases: http://www.alignedandwell.com/katysays/ ... den-tiger/. She strongly advises against them.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Fascinating Lernica! I love that website. Maybe someday I'll actually get down to doing the exercises... Anyway, like I posted on hipchicks, my PT told me that Dr. Kelly doesn't do psoas releases, he only shaves down the bone underneath if necessary. The PT said this was because of the long-term effects on the muscle (I guess what the website is talking about) and problems with recovery. Very interesting.
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Thanks for sharing Lernica. I have learned so much from you! Heading upstairs to relax my psoas now!
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
Anne smith

Post by Anne smith »

Well guess what?
After chasing up university London hospital!( after nearly a year after two m.r.is at last I have the results! Spine ok but hips!!! Guess what? One side, bursitus(inflammation) probably from sitting at strange angles? And the other side? Torn labrum!! There seems to be a common denominator here? But hell I only read with humble gratitude the letters on this matter!
I have turned down the offers of cortisone injections(hell!! The pain of p .n.e by far over rides an achy hip! Or like many of you should I see this as a connection ?
Listening to your opinions on this
Anne smith
Iliostomys at twenty five, just after delivery of baby
Started with rectal pain about twenty one years later
Ten years to get diagnosis, had to research myself!
Two horrific surjurys two(mend) a perennial hernia
Now with mr baranofskis team and traveling to London shortly for injections into alcocks.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”