Dr. Jordan - Recommending Botox & sympathetic nerve block

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
JeanieC

Re: Dr. Jordan - Recommending Botox & sympathetic nerve bloc

Post by JeanieC »

New Mom and Ezer,

Nucynta is a drug with opiate and SSRI components. It is supposed to be particularly helpful for neuropathic pain. Generic name is tapentadol, but tramadol/Ultram is a different drug. I'm not sure if you were saying they were the same but that was the way it read to me. I thought I should make this post because Nuycynta has a major interactions warning with tramadol because of serotonin syndrome.
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
ezer

Post by ezer »

JeanieC,
Nucynta has been developped by the same pharmeceutical company as Tramadol as a potential replacement (the same way Lyrica is trying to replace Neurontin).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapentadol
While its action reflects aspects of tramadol and morphine its ability to kill pain is more on the order of hydrocodone and oxycodone, so not as weak as tramadol but not as strong as morphine.[3] Tapentadol is a new molecular entity that is structurally similar to tramadol (Ultram). It has opioid and nonopioid acitivity in a single compound.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol
Structurally, tapentadol is the closest chemical relative of tramadol in clinical use. Tapentadol is also an opioid, but unlike both tramadol and venlafaxine, tapentadol represents only one stereoisomer and is the weaker of the two, in terms of opioid effect.
Unfortunately for Grunenthal, the pharmaceutical company, Nucynta was classified by the FDA as schedule II which will limit its market (In many countries, Tramadol is available OTC).
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
JeanieC

Post by JeanieC »

Thanks for this information, Ezer, although I can't quite figure it out even after reading about all this on several websites and pondering over it for a while.
I suppose the main information would be that you could take tramadol or nucynta but not both of them?
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
calluna

Post by calluna »

Just wanted to say thankyou for posting this information about tapentadol/Nucynta. My major help is from tramadol, and I note that tapentadol is likely to have more effect on neuropathic pain. For me, this absolutely has to be worth investigating!

JeanieC, I'd say you are right. Basically you wouldn't combine two drugs with the same action - for instance ibuprofen and naproxen - or tramadol and tapentadol - and in this case the specific risk is serotonin syndrome. With regard to interactions, it is the same with any other drug with SNRI or SSRI action - any TCA interacts with both tramadol and tapentadol.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”