Ischial Tuberosity pain

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
helenlegs 11

Re: Ischial Tuberosity pain

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I was diagnosed with severe enthesitis of gluteus min and med,(from my 1T MRN scan) which I was then told was an inflammation of the entheses ,where the muscle originates and terminates next to the bone. I have presumed that ischeal tuberosity pain was related to that, as it is at the end part of bone. I know that if I rub my illiac crest I also get pain so it made sense.
I have just discovered that neither of those muscles end or start there, so that explanation can't be right. . . .However of course the sacrotuberous ligaments do and enthesitis can affect ligaments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enthesitis and can be related to 'recurring stress' I don't know how a diagnosis of ligament enthesitis is reached (can it be seen on MRI??) but I guess that could be one answer to ischeal tuberosity pain, although admittedly I have never even heard enthesitis mentioned in any report apart from mine,so this could be completely wrong. Just throwing it into the mix.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Faith

Post by Faith »

Interesting Helen. I have never heard of enthesitis. Sounds possible at least from the definition.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Faith

Post by Faith »

Interesting Helen. I have never heard of enthesitis. Sounds possible at least from the definition.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Kathy, similar to an MRI, an MRN may or may not show an entrapment. An MRN is essentially an MRI using special software/settings. If something shows up on the MRI or MRN it can be helpful but unfortunately, these tests are not proven to be 100% accurate in the diagnosis.

I'm sorry the embolization didn't help. What other diagnostic tests have you had besides the MRI? Have you been evaluated by a PT who specializes in pudendal neuralgia yet?

My pain prior to surgery was always a deep, toothache-like pain which eventually progressed to knife-like pain near the alcock's and ischial spine area. This was located via internal examination by a PT who was knowledgeable about PNE. Also felt like I had been hit in the butt and crotch. So I can't say what's going on in your case, I can only tell you my pain was very similar to what you are describing and that the deep knife-like pain was one of the first things to improve after surgery.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Violet,
I just read this older post. The knife-like pain you describe is the exact pain I have had from day one, and it seems to be in the same location. In my op report, Dr Conway states the alcock's canal was clear. It says nothing about the falciform process. Did Dr. Beautrant open up your alcocks's canal? I have read that Dr. Ansell actually opens up the canal along the fascia. You state the knife-like pain was one of the first things to improve. I have had two surgeries, and the knife-like pain is screaming at me. How long do you mean by "one of the first things to improve?" Thanks, Paulette
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Paulette, as I understand it, Dr. Bautrant doesn't completely open the alcock's canal but in my surgery he was able to shave off part of the falciform process of the ST ligament.

I had soreness at the ischial tuberosity but the knife-like pain was at the ischial spine where the ST and SS ligaments cross. I wish I could remember exactly how long it took for that knife-like pain to improve but I think it was within the first 3 months.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”