Dr. Martin

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
paulette

Re: Dr. Martin

Post by paulette »

Calluna,
My friend has several port holes on her hip, because Dr. Martin wanted to check out the sciatic nerve, as well as the pudendal and PFCN. That is what amazes me about his surgery. He was able to visualize several nerves.

Someone asked whether he uses the MRI as his guide. My friend had a 3T MRI from Dr. Potter, but I think he just recommends a 1.5 MRI done in Oklahoma City. It seems some surgeons prefer you use services near their practice.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Helen,
You asked about my recovery. I don't have anything to compare it with, except my SI fusion. The pain in the pudendal area is not as bad as it was when I had SI fusion. And not as bad as before surgery if I haven't done anything to irritate the nerve. But when I had SI fusion done, I think it increased the pressure on the nerve, whereas with this surgery, the pressure was released. If I lie down, I have no pain, just like before the surgery. If I stand in one place too long or walk even a short distance, like a block, the pain becomes pretty severe.

The numbness is unchanged. Sometimes, if I run my fingernails over my clothing, it seems like I can feel more. I try to do what Violet wrote at one time. I run my nails along a normal area then along the affected area. It is crazy, but for a while, it seems like I have increased sensation.

Last night I did something dumb. I was cold, so i got up to turn up the heat. When I returned to bed I hope into bed, landing on my bottom. Needless to say, I have some new pain today. So now I will wonder if I have caused the nerve to become entrapped again. Hopefully not from a mattress.

I hear others talking about PT and rehab. I have no instructions in that area. I don't think Dr. Conway believes in much PT. I would appreciate anyone sharing with me about their exercises and PT in general.

Don,
Thank you for the well wishes. Yes, I do take medication - just as much as before surgery.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Paulette! ! you are going to have to go everywhere with cushions strapped to your bottom! No more bouncing! ! :) I guess it's early days yet for the numbness to go, but glad you can find a position to be comfortable when lying down. I know that Karyn posted a post surgery schedule some time ago
http://www.pudendalhope.org/forum/viewt ... 2ec5c5bbab Here it is.
Glad you are 'doing well' Calluna. No bouncing for you either :) Well not yet.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
paulette

Post by paulette »

Don,
You asked if Dr. Conway found my entrapment by reviewing my MRI. My MRI was useless, as I had it done it Denver. But when I had EMG's done at his office, they picked up on the sites of entrapment right away.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

paulette wrote: It seems some surgeons prefer you use services near their practice.
This is worth reminding people about before spending alot of money and trekking across the country for a Potter MRI. This is why I'm holding out (for a Potter MRI) until I decide whether to have surgery and with whom.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

frickla wrote:For more information you can read about it here. There is a video under supplemental materials. Dr. Martin wrote this paper.

http://www.arthroscopyjournal.org/artic ... 0/abstract

If you visit his website, under is biography there are many papers by him.

Though this article is based on sciatic nerve release the same techniques are applied to address the pudendal nerve and others like the obturator internas and the posterior femoral cutaneous nerve.

Endoscope techniques are used in many minimally invasive surgeries for the spine, joint replacement, hysterectomies, gall bladder and other organ removals, etc. Small incisions using small surgical tools.

Surgical photos of the location of the incisions have been posted on another support group for piriformis syndrome.
Thanks for posting that article Frickla. It's exciting to hear that an orthopedic surgeon is joining the growing number of surgeons trying to find ways to help pudendal patients. 8-)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SURGERY”