A's Mommy's MRI with Dr. Potter

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
Violet M

Re: A's Mommy's MRI with Dr. Potter

Post by Violet M »

One reasons varices and pelvic congestion are not considered to be a cause of pudendal neuralgia is that soooo many people have varices and pelvic congestion who do not have pudendal neuralgia. So I wonder if possibly a blood vessel can be up against a nerve but not cause irritation unless the nerve is sick or damaged from some other cause?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
chuck

Post by chuck »

Hi guys,

Violet, Celeste, et al. It's great to reconnect with y'all. It has been a while. I would like to say that I can report that all is well with Callie, but if you have been on tipna and read her most recent posts, you will already know that she is far from being cured, and we are again searching for answers.

A's Mom--thanks for posting all this fascinating information. We are especially interested in pursuing the 3T MRI in NYC. There is a pain management group that also works at the same hospital (Hospital for Special Surgery). I wonder if anyone knows anything about them...

As for the question of pelvic varices causing PNE symptoms, this is something that has interested me for a long time. During Callie's pregnancies, she had the most God-Awful varicose veins (in her legs) that any of her doctors had ever seen! They ended up thrombosed; she had to be on daily heparin therapy, etc, etc. After delivery of our last child, the veins becaome much improved, but she eventually had sclerotherapy done to shrink the last ones away.

I only mention this because knowing that she had a propensity for varices always caused me to wonder if pelvic varices were somehow involved in her PNE symptoms. It makes sense to say that the varices are so "soft" that they couldn't cause nerve compression, but when you remember that nerves often travel alongside blood vessels, and that they often travel in enclosed areas (like Alcock's canal), you begin to wonder if a dilated vein running next to a nerve, in a confined space COULD cause a problem... (Geez, I'm starting to sound like "Ava"!!!!) :shock:

A's Mom, what did Dr Hibner say about your varices> Did he address them in any way during surgery?

Wishing you all the best. Have a pain-free day!

Chuck
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

You had to mention "Ava"! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is awful about the thrombosed veins during pregnancy; however, nobody here who has had them sclerosed has reported any relief from it from what's been reported. None of the PN doctors (for what it's worth) think they could have anything to do with the pain. I can see why you would think it's at least a partial answer, though.

We had one lady here whose scan showed Tarlov cysts. She had a completely arduous back surgery with the one doctor in the country who treats them, and got tremendous relief from her PN-like pain symptoms. But she hadn't had a hyster. It's all so confounding, I know. I'm just throwing it out there since we're talking about non-traditional mechanisms of the pain. Others will be told they have Tarlov's and not get relief from the surgery. No way of knowing if some of them needed PN treatment.

I am so sorry that you've had to find your way back. I hope the B&O can do something; I thought they had worked at least somewhat in the past and then went off the market, so hopefully if you can get a new supply they'll still work.

C.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hey Chuck,

For all we know, Ava may be lurking here so be careful what you say. :shock: :lol: :lol:

It's good to see you but I wish it was only to hear that Callie was cured. I hope the 3T with Dr. Potter will give you some answers.

Not sure what to say about varicose veins. My gyn mentioned that she had seen women with very large ones who had no pain at all and did not think they could possibly be a cause of PN pain -- but who knows, maybe theirs just weren't in the wrong place right against the nerve. But it seems like Dr. Hibner have dealt with this during surgery wouldn't he?

Remind me again -- what triggered Callie's pain in the first place? Was there a surgery or incident or did it just happen out of the blue?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
chuck

Post by chuck »

Hi Violet-

Callie's pain started almost immediately after she underwent an abdominal hysterectomy for fibroids. It was Dec 28, 2004. Since that time she has tried literally eveything: PT, injections, Botox, acupuncture, Dr Wise's protocol, voodoo, "magic power crystals", etc, etc. We spent much of 2005--2007 traveling the nation looking for answers. She finally underwent surgery with Dr Hibner in June, 2007. Since then it has been an up and down journey. She is still on medication, and overall, has been much improved. Unfortunetaly, things have been a bit worse lately (possibly due to increased activity levels and the stress associated with having a high school senior on the premises :shock: ) We are getting ready to be "empty-nesters" and thought that now might be a good time to once again travel the nation (fun!) seeking medical help for this wretched condition. :roll: The MRI sounds interesting, but unless one is committed to having MORE surgery, I don't know how useful it would be...

Have a great day!

Chuck
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Chuck,
You might find something that wasn't addressed at all in the 3 Tesla MRI.It is also possible the PN got re-entrapped in scar tissue or the pain could be coming from the other side.

I would highly recommend Dr. Potter.We are finding quite a few things that were missing from the PNE surgery.

Could you also highlight where did Dr. Hibner find the entrapment and what symptoms actually improved and which didn't.

Thank You,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
chuck

Post by chuck »

Ali-

I will have to go back and find Dr Hibner's notes. I recall that he DID find entrapment of the PN, and I THINK it was at Alcock's canal, but I really don't recall the details. Callie's pain has always been on the right side, and that is where her pain remains. Could the nerve be "re-entrapped"? Yes, I suppose it could be, but then again, Callie NEVER experienced a "cure" after surgery. In fact, at first, she was in even MORE pain after surgery than before. Over many months, and with aggressive pain management (including a variety of opioids--long-acting morphine, short-acting, etc, etc), her pain slowly eased. She has NEVER been pain-free, however, and has continued to rely on medication in order to live a relatively normal life. Was the decrease in her pain due to the surgery? I honestly don't know. I Do know that she has no regrests about having the operation.

We are certainly considering a trip to NYC to see Dr Potter, but also to see the pain management docs who work there.

Best,

Chuck
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Chuck,

Wrote you a PM. Hope it answers some of your questions.

AM :D
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Chuck,
What I have heard that people mostly entrapped in the Alcock's Canal usually heal and get cured.It is quite possible that her dorsal nerve in the Pubic symphysis might be entrapped as well.Was her nerve flattened in the Alcock's Canal or the myelin sheath damaged.

I was also entrapped in the Alcock's Canal,and I have seen some improvement in my symptoms so far after a year of surgery with Dr. Bautrant and I am on no major medications other than 75 mg lyrica and 2 mg Clonezepam daily.Sometimes,I take rectal suppositories when I have rectal burning but that is very seldom.Although,I wasn't on any medication before the surgery.

But I can't sit on a hard surface at all and all due to Dr. Quesada's PN block which he gave me in 2007.Otherwie,life would have been 80% better.

Regards,
Ali

PS
That's what worries me about my redo surgery with Dr. Hibner that if I become worse then what will happen.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Chuck, have you read any of Dr. Marc Possover's publications? He has a different take on post-hysterectomy pain than some of the other PN docs.

Return to “MRI/MRN”