update diary after pn surgery

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Positivepoppy

Re: update diary after pn surgery

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi chillijava
Sorry to learn that 8 months post surgery things are no better . I had bilateral surgery with Mr Wong 3 months ago and it has been a roller coaster had the most frightening delibilating flare up last week lasted 5 days, crying in pain. I have left lots of messages with Mr Wong and Greenslade to contact me but no joy? Did you ever get referred to see a dr carney after surgery? Are you seeing a pain consultant now and if so are they knowledgeable and able to help? Did you work before surgery and if so have you been able to return? Sorry for all the questions just feel very isolated at the moment
Take care
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi chillijava
Hysterectomy feeling now, have you had a better week. I have been alternating heat and ice this week normally just use heat and its helped ease my nightly flare ups.
Best wishes
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Andrea, if you are still having problems with the incision site you might want to see if you can find a practitioner who does cold laser therapy. I've heard it can be helpful -- not for the PN itself but for the incision/scar. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC522143/

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Chillijava
Meant how are you feeling now, predictive text on kindle is bonkers!
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Hi Violet
Hope you don't mind me asking but how soon after surgery did you return full time to work? (Sorry if already answered in another thread). I'm a full-time teacher and also head of 7 departments in a secondary school and the job is both physically and mentally exhausting though I love it. I'm looking to offer a phased return start of July then full time Sept but so apprehensive as know how demanding the job is when I am fit and well. At present apart from light swimming I am lying down most of the day. I'm hoping and praying that in a few months things will hugely improve but not sure that is the case. I had bilateral decompression surgery, Leftside was tightly tettered to left SS ligament and right side nerve was embedded in mass of scar tissue. Both SS ligaments were severed and removed but nerves were in a sorry state.
I know every case is different but in your expert opinion do you think my back to work plans are overly ambitious, what seems to be the average length of time off work as in my current state I could not imagine being there.
Just to say you have been an inspiration to me since joining the forum, your knowledge and balanced views have been a massive help. Thank you and best wishes for your health and happiness
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Poppy, it never hurts to be ambitious, in my opinion. When to return to work probably depends on several things such as how much you have to sit at work, how high your pain tolerance is, how effective your medications are, and how functional you are on meds. Maybe you could start out part time and see how it goes.

I wasn't working before surgery since I was a stay at home mom. I went back to work 4-5 years after surgery, after my kids left home. Personally, I would have found it pretty challenging to return to work prior to 18 months post-op because that's when I could pretty much count on a decent day. I started going off my meds at 9 months post-op so I was feeling better by then but not sitting a lot yet. Wish I had super-duper good news for you but as I'm sure you've read (and are sick of hearing) nerves take time to heal. Hope yours will heal quickly as I know you love your job and I'm sure you must be an inspiration to your students. I do love your positive attitude. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

Thank you for your honesty and kind words, I will remain positive that I will return to work as I do love my job. I also remain realistic and know how delibilating this condition is. Tried a swim this am but had to get out of the pool as too painful today so it's back on settee with tramadol and heated wheat bag, there are worse ways to spent the afternoon!
Take care and thank you for your response
chillijava

Post by chillijava »

sorry i have not posted on here for a while, but just wanted to let you all know that the surgery i had july 2013 didnt work and i have been very lucky that i am now under under a new pain consultant at a local pain clinic, who has put me forward for possible neuromodulation, i have just heard after an assessement with him and the neuro surgeon that i am to be given a trial to see if it helps and i am now just waiting for a trial date, i consider myself very lucky to have been given this chance

andrea
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

I have sent a PM hope all ok?
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

So sorry surgery has not worked although I'm only 4
Months post surgery I feel the same, seem to be in worse pain and abandoned by those that I trusted to perform this! I really hope you manage to get the help you need and get some pain relief. Did you try physio after surgery, any luck?

Return to “UK & IRELAND”