Underwear

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
make-it-stop

Re: Underwear

Post by make-it-stop »

I don't know how I was able to tolerate the Victoria's Secret cotton panties that I wrote about in my original post. I must have gotten a bit worse since last year.

The underwear that I've found to be most comfortable these days is:

For sleeping and relaxing at home: Hanes 100% cotton panties, in a size that is 2 sizes larger than what I would wear without pelvic pain; tried looking for the exact ones online, but can't remember the exact packaging. They don't have a lace waistband.

For when I need to wear pants, like going out of the house or sitting: Hanes Premium Invisible Smooth Microfiber Bikini; I don't think they are the exact ones that Quilter mentioned in the post above this (these are usually sold in packs of 2), but they are also made with the smooth microfiber material.
Link:
http://www.target.com/p/hanes-premium-w ... microfiber

http://www.target.com/p/hanes-premium-w ... microfiber
5/11: burning in all areas innervated by PN; self-diagnosed PN
5/11: pelvic floor PT (PT #1) did not help after 2 sessions; she gave up
12/11: Kalinkin MRI doesn't show anything significant
12/11: Consult with Hibner; agreed with PN diagnosis, likely due to tight pelvic muscles
12/11 - 12/13: Tried 4 other pelvic PTs - tbh, they weren't great - no results
1/14 - 11/15: pelvic PT with PT #6 (better results, feel about 30% better after 2.5 years of PT)
Related conditions: MPS, S.I dysfunction
Lily721

Post by Lily721 »

I get mine from (sorry had to edit here) Macy's (not JC Penney) 100% cotton bikinis (though they're not like a bikini really) Not the greatest underwear in the world (as I have to cut off the lace edging which bothers my legs near where I shave) but I find them fairly comfortable and it's hard to find 100% cotton these days so I make do. At least the designs are pretty and they sit below my belly button which I like and are not restrictive at the waist

:)

L
quilter

Post by quilter »

I'll check out your suggestions, need some new undies anyway. I can't tolerate anything tight at the waist either and buy larger sizes, bikini or low-rise. At home I don't wear any if the vulva is irritated and get by with soft, baggy exercise-style pants.
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
Lily721

Post by Lily721 »

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/char ... %20panties

this may help. I hope it's ok to post the link here. The only issue with these is (for me) the lace around the legs (which can be cut off) and sometimes the tag in the back separates from the elastic so I usually just put in a few stitches of thread in the hopes that that won't happen. Very pretty designs. New ones for summer.

I see they now come in XXL too which is good. These also do not have the extra little piece of fabric that some of them have (that almost forms a pouch at the crotch) At first I missed it but then realized it's less irritating without it.

I usually find them on sale for cheaper than $8.00 as well
L
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Just thought I would update here as I have had some new experience with the pump implant.

I am a guy so this applies to the appropriate equipment :P

The Hanes new "cool fit" stuff is way too tight for my PN, put my hypersesitvity through the roof, I washoping that these would prevent me from having to buy $18 a pair daluth trading boxers but that was not the case.

Good news is the daluth trading are going on 3 years with very little wear.

Plus from a distance they look like the light mesh running shorts, and they are buttoned in the front so there is no wardrobe malfunction, I can wear them around the house comfortably.

Belts are a big issue for me, as a former military person I am not dressed to go anywhere without a belt. But when the pump was installed and I was wearing the binders around my waist and chest the belt was not working so I bought some suspenders. They helped a lot from keeping the belt too tight around the waist. I took about 6 weeks for my, DT crotch gusset, jeans to fit right gain.

I found that putting a crotch gusset into existing jeans makes a huge difference. It keep the area from being tight and lets you move around without pain. Any seamstress should be able to do it fairly quickly, my mother is one, and she can do them in about 25 min a pair. You just need some matching fabric from a donor pair of old jeans that don't fit.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
quilter

Post by quilter »

Lily, what's up with that little pocket, right? Is there something I'm supposed to put in there that everyone but me knows about? Unknowingly bought a pack once, never again - annoying.

Blightcp - thanks for the gusset idea, will ask someone who sews clothes how to do it since I have a good machine.
Thank you for your service. Used to work with 2 ex-Army guys; they dressed sharp every day, and had a running contest on shoe-shine results & technique. Thanks to them our surgical practice ran very efficiently, we took care of our patient's needs quickly, and the 3 of us got frequent job offers from other docs. That's why I get so frustrated with medical offices that are poorly run and take weeks/months to accomplish the simplest task of patient care - I know it's possible to be the best. Glad you're doing better with the pump!

Enjoy the weekend! We finally have sun after weeks of 60's & all-day coastal fog; maybe my tomatoes will survive.
Last edited by quilter on Sun May 31, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Maybe you could put ice in the little pocket? :D

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
quilter

Post by quilter »

Good ida, hadn't thought of that. Usually I wrap my frozen tubes in thin cloth or a snack-size ziplock and place it right on the vulva. Thanks!
quilter

Post by quilter »

Update on the Hanes Microfiber. Today I went to a Hanes/Bali outlet store for bras; couldn't find the panties. The clerk said they're being discontinued and they can't get anymore. Found 1 pack (wrong size) at a WalMrt yesterday, but will check other stores this week. Have previously found them at Target and JCPenney, so look fast before they disappear!

Recently bought a pack of Fruit of the Loom Micro-Mesh ventilated (tag-free) low-rise briefs (a size larger than me). Have worn them all day and they're very comfortable. The true test was I still liked them after a brisk 40-min. walk tonight. Slightly thicker than the Hanes, but thin and breathable; these may become my Hanes replacement. Think they also came in a bikini and maybe boy-cut.
Last edited by quilter on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
make-it-stop

Post by make-it-stop »

Thanks for the info. I just saw them at one of our Targets so check Target and stock up :)
5/11: burning in all areas innervated by PN; self-diagnosed PN
5/11: pelvic floor PT (PT #1) did not help after 2 sessions; she gave up
12/11: Kalinkin MRI doesn't show anything significant
12/11: Consult with Hibner; agreed with PN diagnosis, likely due to tight pelvic muscles
12/11 - 12/13: Tried 4 other pelvic PTs - tbh, they weren't great - no results
1/14 - 11/15: pelvic PT with PT #6 (better results, feel about 30% better after 2.5 years of PT)
Related conditions: MPS, S.I dysfunction

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”