VHI & HSE Applications

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
lexie

Re: VHI & HSE Applications--where to start for PNE coverage

Post by lexie »

Amanda,

I was so looking forward to meeting u in Dublin when I was at home. going to grafton Street , getting a coffee or dinner or a beer in a fun pub somewhere anywhere in Dublin. Just gettting to meet u another PNE person I was so excited and again I think I had the wrong number god knows who I was calling LOL!

Anyway I hope u get these messages Amanda and when I return home again soon I hope we can hook up, I can get the train to Dublin and it would be so nice just to meet u if you wish, that is up to you of course girl!! no pressure.

If u could throw some light on my above message for me regarding the health insurance aspect for me and how to be in a position to gt to the uk and france and on the insurance that will cover me for furhter treatments cos I am broke now with no health coverage in ireland buts its so important anow that I have to come home that I am in a position to be able to see uk and french dr.s that treat PNE.
YOu are the only person that cna give me some info as I have no idea where or how to start with this or your recommedations Amanda would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to find out but no one could help me at all at home and did not know how to help me or just say they did not know especially when I need help with PNE in uk and franc e now.....thankyou very much---lexie
lexie

Re: VHI & HSE Applications--RESEND --sorry!

Post by lexie »

Amanda,

I was so looking forward to meeting u in Dublin when I was at home. going to grafton Street , getting a coffee or dinner or a beer in a fun pub somewhere anywhere in Dublin. Just gettting to meet u another PNE person I was so excited and again I think I had the wrong number god knows who I was calling LOL!
Amanda
sorry for resending
I am having some problems withthe laptop here-apologies. Will get it seen to today.

Anyway I hope u get these messages Amanda and when I return home again soon I hope we can hook up, I can get the train to Dublin and it would be so nice just to meet u if you wish, that is up to you of course girl!! no pressure.

If u could throw some light on my above message for me regarding the health insurance aspect for me and how to be in a position to gt to the uk and france and on the insurance that will cover me for furhter treatments cos I am broke now with no health coverage in ireland buts its so important anow that I have to come home that I am in a position to be able to see uk and french dr.s that treat PNE.
YOu are the only person that cna give me some info as I have no idea where or how to start with this or your recommedations Amanda would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to find out but no one could help me at all at home and did not know how to help me or just say they did not know especially when I need help with PNE in uk and franc e now.....thankyou very much---lexie
lexie

Amanda

Re: VHI & HSE Applications

Post by Amanda »

Hi Lexie

i dont know about the phone number if its the right one or not.
Why dont you send me an email and we can make arrangements to talk things through.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
lexie

Post by lexie »

Hello Amanda ,
I am moving today for next 2 months here in the usa for my next block then I have to ocme home in jan.
ONce settled I will e-mail you before I go for the block or when I get back i the next few days to a week.
I must go to pack now...........
I will e-mail soon amanda..
should I use your PM? is that your e-mail.?

thanks again
lexie
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

I am now on my 17th successful application from the vhi to approve my ongoing treatment in Belgium to review and assess my stimulator next year I will have to replace the system so this year I will be discussing the costs etc in great detail so as to allow enough time to process my application next year.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Oh wow, good luck with this Amanda. I think you are the queen of getting your applications approved! :D

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
alfphysio

Post by alfphysio »

Hi there,
I'm new here and looking for advice on who to contact in Ireland to get an opinion on my symptoms...
I had a baby 14 months ago, and from about 2 weeks post birth, I felt like I was wet down there, like there's air getting in between my labia, really sensitive when wearing underwear, with an irritated feeling. I don't have pain, but I am uncomfortable all the time. I have been having Physio for about 8 months and after my last session, I felt great for that day. Unfortunately, it's back to the way it was.
To add fuel to the fire, I have a mild rectocele....
I'm just totally fed up and would be delighted if anyone could point me in the right direction of a consultant who will actually listen to me and my symptoms, and then do something about it, as opposed to the urogynae who keeps telling me that it will get better, I just need to give it "time".
Thanks in advance...
nyt

Post by nyt »

alfphysio, first, congratulations on the baby. However, I am so sorry that since your delivery your recovery has be difficult.

Hopefully, someone from the UK can offer you some advice on any doctors to see in your area.

I just thought you might find this of interest. I'm reading a book called "Unlocking The Female Pelvic Floor" by Dr. Peter Petros. This book is quite different than the other pelvic floor books I have read because it focuses on what happens to the bladder, uterus, vagina and/or recturm when the ligaments get stretched out. The book is based on the idea developed by the physician Dr. Peter Petros called the "Intregral Theory System." He might give some helpful information for you as he discusses some of the problems women develop after childbirth due to stretching that occurs during vaginal delivery and the hormones that make the ligaments lax during pregnancy. He also discusses what is called the perineal body that is between the vagina and rectum. During childbirth the perineal body can be damaged and you can develop a rectocele. I'm not saying this is what has caused your rectocele as it could have been a ligament, muscle and/or perineal body involvement that resulted in the rectocele. There are some simple tests, questions and exercises he has in the book to help quide you to figure out what the underlying problem might be. The ebook is cheap and if you Google "Intregral Theory System" by Dr. Petros there are a couple of scientific papers that you can get for free. I haven't read the scientific papers yet, just glanced through them, but they have some of the same diagrams as the book.

The "National Association For Continence" might be another forum that might give you some guidance. That is how I found out above "Unlocking The Female Pelvic Floor" it was suggested to me on that forum. It isn't as active as this one but the more knowledge you acquire the better off you are to work with the doctors and nurses that treat you.

Keep us posted.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hi All,

Just to let you know that my 18th application to the vhi was successful and they approved my replacement stimulator operation. I had this done on March 9th in Belgium with Dr Van Buyten. All went well and I atttended his clinic every few days for dressing changes. I was so glad to have my stimulator working again as the previous weeks when it was turned off led me to have two kidney infections and so much extra pain.

Almost five weeks later I had a scare as the wound became red and sore, I feared the worst that there may have been an infection which would have meant removal of the system...leaving me back to square one. It was a huge worry and very stressful time. I sought advice from my gp and after two weeks antibiotics I can report that the scar looks much better. It has meant that I have not been able to recharge as yet so I have not got the best benefit from the stimulator however I hope to be able to recharge this week so that I can turn it up and appreciate the benefit.
I have had to adjust my choice of clothing to accommodate the new placement of my stim and have had to wear looser clothes to avoid friction on my scar. This seems to be working and has eased the soreness on the area.
I await my bill from Belgium which I will submit to the vhi I am sure it will be passed no problem.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Alfphysio,

I am sorry yu have had so much discomfort since having your baby. Feel free to email me and if I can help you find some medical advice.

Return to “UK & IRELAND”