Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Griff522

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Griff522 »

I was using my TENS right before surgery and it was a big help. But my issue is that I'm not really sure where to put the electrodes. Did you just figure out or did a PT show you? I would like to know your placement.
Burning vulva pain began 10/09
Treated for SIJD 9/10 and burning stopped and pain localized to rt side
Surgery w/ Dr Dellon 5/11 - didn't help my pain
2012 - PT, massage therapy, and ART therapy from chiropractor
MRI showed labral tear and US of groin found hernias
2/13 - surgery for sports hernia
5/13 - still have obturator internus spasms
5/13 - appt with ortho spine dr
8/16/13 - Arthroscopic surgery to rt hip for FAI and torn labrum
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

PT told me where to put them. I had two channels so I could do both sides at once.

One electrode goes just medial to the bony prominence on each side of the front of your abdomen. (also known as the anterior superior iliac spine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray435.png (medial meaning towards the center of your body -- so the electrode goes just inside that bone that sticks out in the front/side of your abdomen.

The other electrode in that same channel goes near your top inner thigh, close to where the body meets the leg.

Is that as clear as mud? :lol: The important thing is to do it for at least 2 hours a day. I turned it up to where I could feel it but it wasn't painful.

It was a bit of a trick keeping the electrode sites from itching after awhile. I used them over quite a few times because the used ones weren't as itchy. Sometimes used paper tape to keep them in place since it is hypoallergenic but what worked best was to wear thigh shapers to keep them in place.
http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp? ... age=family

Thigh shapers also worked well to keep gel ice packs in place, btw.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Thanks Violet.
beverley

Post by beverley »

Violet: This may be a stupid question but how does it get your OI?
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Good question Beverley. I've tried my TENS several times in different locations and haven't been very successful in getting much relief. I need a wireless Bluetooth version of a TENS machine because all those wires criss crossing across my crotch makes it difficult to use the bathroom. Just not very sanitary!!!!
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

beverley wrote:Violet: This may be a stupid question but how does it get your OI?
Not a stupid question at all, Beverly but I don't know if I can give you a smart answer. :lol:

The electrode down on your inner thigh should be buzzing -- that's what helped the muscle relax for me. But don't ask me about the science on why a TENS unit works. :oops: This link gives a basic description of why a TENS unit might work: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/guide/tens-for-back-pain

Anyway, that's where my pelvic floor PT told me to put the electrodes and it did work for me. (after the nerve was released through PNE surgery). If you only leave it on for 2 hours hopefully you won't have to use the bathroom during that time. You can easily clean the wires with an alcohol wipe or something though. How did we get on this conversation, anyway? :lol: :lol:

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
beverley

Post by beverley »

Well, i wish i had good news but i don't. I have been going to pelvic floor physical therapy for about four months and it really isnt working at all -- and i mean not at all. I have had it work in the past so i know what it feels like to get improvement and i have made no improvements during this time. The gabapentin is working but if i dont take it exactly when i am supposed to -- the pain will come back. I can't have sex without terrible pain. I have been going to someone who does ART and breaks up scar tissue and adhesions -- i dont think this is working at all. I am pretty sure that whatever is going on involves the ilioinguinal or genitofemerol nerve as most of my pain is clitoral and some labial and i am not really having classic PN pain (pain with sitting) but sitting irritates my hip so it doesnt feel good. My "hip" hurts but i just had an MRI of my hip and it looks good. Since the ilioinguinal and genitofemeral nerve run in front of the hip and through the psoas -- i wonder if that is what i am feeling. I am having an injection for the ilioinguinal nerve tomorrow and i am hoping it is either diagnostic or helps. I am verrry frustrated. Sorry for such a gloomy update.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
3/12 Potter MRI
3/13 Flared - present,
Griff522

Post by Griff522 »

Beverley, is it possible that you have a core muscle injury (sports hernia)?
beverley

Post by beverley »

I have read all the threads on ilioinguinal hernia and hernias in general and, yes, i could have one -- my symptoms do match. I didnt read of anyone who got theirs fixed with improvement but i find this site (and all of them) to be the cases that don't get better -- so there are not a lot of success stories. It is on my long list of things to follow up on. If my memory serves me -- you were test for a hernia? What was your experience?
3/12 Potter MRI
3/13 Flared - present,
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Good luck Beverley! I am having a flare right now too, but I know that we will get back to health again. We both felt well for a long time, and I hope this is just a bump in the road.

With love,
Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”