Glad to find this board

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
helenlegs 11

Re: Glad to find this board

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I think you have got it spot on going to PT first. It's part of the process and hopefully a solution too :) Is there anyone near you on the list of pelvic physio's on the home pages? If not, because things are moving forward all of the time I would e mail one or two more prominent ones and see if they have any contacts more local to you that may be able to help. After that ring around your local PT's to see if anyone is PN aware. It will be no use seeing someone who isn't PN aware.
Seeing a knowledgeable PT will help you get a handle on what's what, which bit might be causing the pain etc and if it is muscle related help to relax those muscles.
oldcarguy wrote: otherwise I wouldn't have had abnormal PNMLT but is it true entrapment by ligaments .
There can be other reasons behind what would be described as true entrapment btw a muscle can get develop scar tissue and//or lesions which can in some extremely acute cases calcify. I have heard post surgical reports where the nerve has adhered to the bone and of course there is alcocks canal. Mine for instance is the piriformis muscle which is probably scar tissue from a haematoma after a fall. The pudendal nerve takes such a torturous route through the pelvis there are a few places that could be responsible for true entrapment. Even more reason to get a good PT and try and work things out.
I have never seen a proper pn aware physio, although I have had countless sessions but still think it would be an advantage if only to rule pelvic floor dysfunction out. I would have loads of questions to ask too :)
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Re: Glad to find this board

Post by Violet M »

OCG, I agree with Helen that you probably want to give PT a try before agreeing to surgery. It's not because I don't think you are entrapped -- I really have no way of knowing for sure and the docs don't always know before surgery either. I think it's just such a major step to decide on surgery if you can get well with more conservative therapies because once you have surgery that's final -- you can't take it back.

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”