safest laxative?

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
kathyd

Re: safest laxative?

Post by kathyd »

So sorry --one more quick question... what did you mean by "no tissue leaves the anus"?
And if i may ask, are you able to have normal soft BMs? Do you take nightly laxatives/
Pls don't feel you have to answer if you'd prefer not to!
I go usually every other day but I take stool softners and nightly Dulcolax.
My pain doc feels maybe Ive become tolerant to it?
Pt says the anal spasms produce the 'constant urge' feeling... However tonight was different. i could tell stool was there if only a small amount. After emptying a lot 2 days ago, maybe the system just doesn't have much there, but in my anxious case the spasming feeling of pressure..' "must empty now'.... continues daily!
Have a good day...so sorry for all these posts on this lovely subject.
Take care again,
Kathy
kathyd

new laxagive product

Post by kathyd »

Hi All,
Has anyone here taken a new med for constipation called Movantik?
I just started it on Sunday.
My pain doc handed me the script last week. He said to take this medicine on an empty stomach and don't eat for one hour after you take it. He also said take no other laxatives with it. I thought he may have mentioned not to take stool softeners, but my hubby remembers the doc saying only to not take laxatives. My memory has been dim lately on my current level of pump dosage ,tho I usually do remember everything that's said so whethet I or my hubby heard correctly regarding the stool softener. ( i am in need of it tonight)

( My doc was repeating the info the drug rep had given him; he admitted this drug was brand new to him).
Anyway I don't think stool softeners are considered laxatives as they don't induce pooping, just make it softer and easier to go.
Things have 'gone' pretty well most days, but today I had no 'results".I took it around 8:15 am and then unintentionally fell back asleep. I usually relax in bed in the AM to keep my pain from starting early.
( It starts whenon my feet).
i woke back up about at 10 :15 ish, grabbed a small piece of bran muffin, but didn' t have a full breakfast until almost 11:00Am. I wondered if I'm supposed to have breakfast exactly an hour after taking the drug.
I didn't do so other days either and still had results. I think Im over thinking things!
Just feeling that bad backed up feeling this evening, and it makes me panick.
I haven't found much practical info online as to how to take Movantik , other than what I stated above.
It's new to the pharmacist too, but am hoping he has more info for me on his system, tomorrow. Hubby thinks its ok to go ahead and take the Colace softener,
I have been taking stool softeners for years, my system is used to them, and wonder if stopping stool softeners, cold turkey is a bad idea.

BTW I had a bad experience (felt faint, dizzy and nauseas ) when I tried the injected drug Relistor for constipation about 18mos ago. But I had a lot of other laxatives in my system that day,.. thus the bad reaction!

Movantik is a tablet, not an injection, but it works much like Relistor.
Thus my fear of taking the Colace stool softener. ( even tho its not a laxative)

The doc gave me the higher dose of Movantik as I think that's how you are supposed to start it.
If anyone takes this drug.. would appreciate any advice on whether its okay to take a Colace softener tonight or soon.
Thx and I will keep you posted on this new medicine.
kathyd

Re: safest laxative?

Post by kathyd »

Hi Blossum.
How are you? Hope you are well!
I am becoming more active, and getting out on my own more, due to the work and encouragement of a great PT and her urologist partner,
My pelvic floor "problem areas" are looking healthier, according to my PT.
But my pain issue is still quite bad and hasn't changed too much. for the most part. I also have a constant urge to 'poop' quite often, which my PT believes is more from the spasm at times... but its an awful feeling!
You mentioned Nature Calm.. Thx so much BTW!
I bought this supplement and take it during the day to add to my laxatives. I bought the plain version.

How much do you take if you don't mind saying in order to 'get results'. I started with a 1/2 tsp daily as per directions but am up to close to a tsp.
I can't tell if it's helping or not or if it's the laxative product that gives the less than optimal results 'Im getting.
I know we are all different in the meds we take and the effect they have on our digestive systems, but it would be great to just take the
Nature Calm and not have this guessing game about how much laxative to take.
I was told by the first doc who gave me pain meds to take a laxative with it to prevent painful constipation, An article i just read said the same, but I would prefer the natural version of laxative
Thx for any info on your results with Nature Calm.
You can PM me if you prefer ,or even email me if its easier when. convenient for you. Best wishes!
Take care and thx again.
Kathy

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”