Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Antonia

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Antonia »

Yeah, I will do that. I've been focusing right on the hip with all of them, but honestly, my pelvis was horribly out of place. I worked on it today in PT, and muscle spasms had actually pulled it up an inch out of place on one side. It's hard to tell what's going on when your whole body goes into spasm...it's even in my bowels at this point, everywhere there's soft tissue. Lots of foam rolling and diaphragmatic breathing. If I use anything at all it spasms. Arm, hand, bowels, bladder....lol...I'm a mess! It's very frustrating!

Dr. Coleman is looking at just the hip and the possible (since no docs here are sure) groin strain/hernia. Just because that's on the reports/records. He has 4 MRI disks, two CTs and an x-ray, I'm assuming he'll come to his own conclusions without me saying much. The pain in the hip itself is the rough part, and he certainly will be able to assess that enough. And man, does it hurt!!!

When you're in this much pain it's hard not to mention it. Thanks for the tips though, I stay away from doctors like the plague and really don't know how to deal with them at all.

Lernica, you got it all calmed back down? Any pointers? LOL Glad to know, hope that's what you meant!
Pain starting at ischial tuberosity 2013 (minor hamstring tendon tear); labral tear July 2013, referred pain to groin/bladder. Sept. 24th '13, tore my abdominal muscles and adductors at the pelvis; pain and spasms so bad I couldn't stand, walk, or go to the bathroom; misdiagnosed until Jan. 27th 14; double procedure 4/3/14, hip arthroscopy & muscle repair. One adductor still driving me nuts. Slowly working my way back to health & working to educate more about pelvic injuries/pathologies.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

My main worry about the muscles as pertains to Dr. Coleman (or anyone else doing this) is just that with the traction it seems a bit rough on them....mine seem unable to heal at the moment, but if there's a groin strain I'm not sure if that makes the surgery impossible or not. Whew. Pain or no, if this was one of those things that could just heal I would seriously stop pursuing treatment right now and find a spa that takes you for a whole year.
Pain starting at ischial tuberosity 2013 (minor hamstring tendon tear); labral tear July 2013, referred pain to groin/bladder. Sept. 24th '13, tore my abdominal muscles and adductors at the pelvis; pain and spasms so bad I couldn't stand, walk, or go to the bathroom; misdiagnosed until Jan. 27th 14; double procedure 4/3/14, hip arthroscopy & muscle repair. One adductor still driving me nuts. Slowly working my way back to health & working to educate more about pelvic injuries/pathologies.
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Yes I got the pain all calmed down, although it does pop up still now and again when I'm nursing an injury. Like I have recently developed plantar fasciitus in my left foot from too much walking. (When I joined this forum I couldn't walk at all!). And the pain in the foot, when severe (eg. at the end of the day) actually travels to my left vulva! This is simply my brain playing a trick on me, remembering the pain I had there for so long. There's no organic cause for it. And because I understand this, I'm not freaking out about it.

Lorraine Faendrich, Women's Health Life Coach, helped me immensely in recognizing the mind-body connection to chronic pain. (See my signature below for contact info.)

Antonia, I couldn't help noticing the similarity of our cases. We were both athletes. This can lead to hip deterioration if your hips are slightly dysplastic (hip joints not lining up the way they're supposed to.) This can lead to hip degeneration, including FAI and labral tears. Also, you mentioned that your pelvis is out of whack. So was mine. My right pelvis, when laying down, was two inches higher off the table than the left. This was due to chronic muscles spasms due to the hip pain and pain from endometriosis. After undergoing extensive shockwave therapy to my pelvic region, my hips evened out. My experience with shockwave therapy is described under the thread entitled "Lernica's going to Cornwall for ESWT treatment!" (I tried to link the thread here but for some reason was unsuccessful. To find the thread, use the "Search" function at the top right hand corner of this page, typing in the thread title.)

You will get through this, just like I did! But you have to pursue your treatment plan aggressively. The time of waiting until you get better is over.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Lernica, thanks for the reply! Yes, this is due to muscle spasms for me as well. Full body, but especially everywhere in the pelvis and abdomen. This doesn't even feel like my body anymore. I have no forward flexion and my abdominal muscles won't bend or relax enough to even manage anything like that. Was there anything that helped other than the shockwave therapy? I am not even sure what that is. The spasms didn't twist me out of place until 2 months after the injury but had started before the injury due to a medication reaction. I find it easier to deal with them when recognizing what they are and just trying to go about business without worrying, but it certainly doesn't make them go away.

I'll look for your thread, sounds like you've had an interesting journey. Whew.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Yow, I just got an injection, and it REALLY hurt to get, but it has significantly altered how I feel already. I would hate to go through it again, but that released every last bit of muscle tension I have been having. In pretty much the entire body. Internal injection. Not pleasant. Hip still hurts like mad, but everything else is dulled down again enough to be able to function. So glad I found this doctor, willing to do injections and use them diagnostically. Not even sure why I'm sharing this here, but after 5 months of extreme pain I feel such relief I had to share.

Anyone else have help with these sort of things?
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Yay! That's great news. Yes many people on this forum have had injections, with various degrees of success. What kind did you have?
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Marcaine and I believe an anti-inflammatory as well, but had two different answers for that. My hip hurts like crazy now, it's funny how much it hurts when the muscle spasms are down in any way. My abs have been in a constant state of tug of war with those muscles below in spasm, and they immediately let go. I am now having a lot of pain in the side that is usually fine, though. Not sure if I should call back or not (??).

I figured loads of people here would've had to have tried this. It hurt really bad, though, I yelled and I didn't even do that in childbirth! I certainly hope the doctor and nurse aren't religious people, my use of the names of certain religious figures was likely heard from here to Australia. In other words, if you heard that, pay it no mind, it was just me getting an intra-vaginal injection....lol. :oops:
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Antonia
Im so glad this helped you! You must be so happy as well as relieved!
Would you consider this shot a nerve block? Many of us have had those with as said, varying results.. (I had no luck with them, but it does depend on who is giving the block and where it's put.
When you say your abdominals were tight...did they mention the PSoas muscle...(large muscle in the abdominal area on each side)?
I have tight abs and tight PSoas ..in fact was told by severa practitioners (Dr Andrew in Cornwall was one of them).... that I had one the tightest Psoas they'd ever felt.
So though I have both anal rectal.....and bladder (and now bowel issues due to meds)/
they feel if the Psoas could release, it could be a big help
If you like could you tell us where he injected you and if you are located in the US?
I am on the East coast ..NY area.
I do believe that so much depends on the doctor who is treating you and their knowledge of this type of neuro-muscular pain.
Best wishes on your continued healing and
would appreciate any info on the above, if you would.
Thank you!
Kathy
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

Yes, the psoas on that side in particular is very tight, but the left is now tight from sitting so much. It REALLY hurts to lay down, so I'm spending a lot of time sitting despite the ischial tuberosity pain. OK, that injection helped a lot at first, but then wore off and caused excruciating rebound pain, then that finally wore off. I never take anything for pain due to sensitivities but actually broke down and took a tramadol tonight. I've had a few psoas releases done by a pt, and it felt really great, but definitely didn't address the root problem. But boy, it is tight. My main problem is actually the rectus abdominis, which is pulled tight due to the other pelvic tightness, I'm guessing. THe injection today wasn't into the rectus (which do attach at the pubic bone) but released them anyway. I was shown a method of release today by my PT that seems to be really good, still working on it a bit! I found a video that showed the same release a while back, have you tried any of this? This is exactly what my PT showed me, except with me moving my own leg instead of someone doing it like in the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQVoJ-DCZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBoZSmlZJ5E

I'm in the US, Midwest. He did intravaginal injections, and I swear childbirth didn't hurt that bad. He kept saying I was tensing up too much and all I could say is, "YOu have a needle in my vagina! Of course I'm tensing up!!" It's the area from the hip to the vaginal wall on the right side that is just so spasmed and tender. No one's sure yet if it's referred pain or trigger points or what. I am sorry I didn't get the names of the muscles, but one was the bulbocavernous I believe, at least from my PT's diagram sheet she gave.

Has anyone here had experience with Dr. Marc Phillipon at Steadman Clinic in Vail, CO? I got a call back from his office today and am getting him my records as well. He is a pretty huge name in hip surgery.
Antonia

Post by Antonia »

kathyd wrote:Hi Antonia
Im so glad this helped you! You must be so happy as well as relieved!
Would you consider this shot a nerve block? Many of us have had those with as said, varying results.. (I had no luck with them, but it does depend on who is giving the block and where it's put.
When you say your abdominals were tight...did they mention the PSoas muscle...(large muscle in the abdominal area on each side)?
I have tight abs and tight PSoas ..in fact was told by severa practitioners (Dr Andrew in Cornwall was one of them).... that I had one the tightest Psoas they'd ever felt.
So though I have both anal rectal.....and bladder (and now bowel issues due to meds)/
they feel if the Psoas could release, it could be a big help
If you like could you tell us where he injected you and if you are located in the US?
I am on the East coast ..NY area.
I do believe that so much depends on the doctor who is treating you and their knowledge of this type of neuro-muscular pain.
Best wishes on your continued healing and
would appreciate any info on the above, if you would.
Thank you!
Kathy
P.S. does your tight psoas feel a lot like a stitch in your side, but in slightly the wrong place? That's what mine feels like! I initially thought I had a strained psoas, but it is unfortunately a bigger issue.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”