pain meds and constipation

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
stephanies

Re: pain meds and constipation

Post by stephanies »

Kathy,

Have you made any substantial progress with your pain through PT? If not, are you sure it is worth the pain flares you seem to be getting from her work and then your homework? Do you have any time after the work where your pain is reduced? Have you thought about a second PT opinion? I absolutely offer you my encouragement and praise because I know first hand how hard it is to maintain some semblance of normalcy for young/teenage children when a parent has pain. This is my priority in life and my struggle everyday.

Sincerely,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Stephanie
Hope you are well, I wasn't sure if I answered your post as I hadn't checked on responses for a long time.

About the PT,, Thx for your concern!
My Pt says its painful because working on trigger pts. in the painful spots, whether it be vaginal or anal, is violating to your body..The body takes a hit, tho it's necessary to work on those trigger pts regularly to eventually get rid of them.. (That's why she assigns homework so the body can learn a new way to be and not go back to the tightn state its been in) Because of her work it is painful after, sometimes worse than others.
For the past couple times, I asked her to skip the anal area and work on the other spots.
But yes she has helped me--- much more than any PT ever and Ive seen severalover the years.
She explains the logic of everything she does, so I understand. She knows the pelvic floor better than any doctor or PT I ever met.
This time last year, before she began work on me, I was stuck a home mostly lying down .. had no social life etc
Now I can tolerate dining out, at least once a week, and even driving locally to shop.I feel much better when shopping (distraction of 'retail therapy' ) My pain is due to 'clenching' so I if I do something fun, the clenching is reduced.
I also find that I can enjoy dining out more if I order wine (just a glass)-- I look for less acid brands, due to my varying bladder issues ). This relaxes my muscle too and I feel little pain.(again due to less muscle clenching!)
Sometimes, I don't feel the after- pain as much, tho ii does vary!.Wine (alcohol) is not a solution, but for a girl like me whose pain is driven by worry and fear of pain, relaxing the muscles helps. I still have the afte-rpain and I still find it hard to trust any practitioner's knowledge, but I see a big difference in this PT. She trained and continues her training with a practitioner whose methodology relates to my causes for pelvic pain. Thx again for thinking of me
I know how hard it is for you with taking care of young children and pray that that you are feeling better.
Thx again and hope you're doing okay.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Everyone , Carl ,Dusty Stephanie and all!
I am plodding along trying different things for dealing with pooping issues due to my a pain pump, and my baclofen suppositories for pain, but still dealing with varying issues.
I was given (as mentioned Amitiza (not a true laxative but a med that adds water to stool and works on certain technical parts of the body,brain etc ( I forget which!) in order to get things moving.

I was frustrated last week as one day I felt backed up and took it twice daily for 2 days along with the Movantik my pain doc advised.I was used to taking Amitiza only at Bedtime ( tho the bottle says twice daily) Docs don't give much v advise much on this , thus here I am aksing for help.
After 2 days of the above Amitiza doses I had a had normal BM! .. after taking the Amitiza midday as well and taking my usual walk. I was happy, but it soon turned into "the runs" and I basically emptied the contents of my colon for an hour or so. I figured " fine," it was time for a clean-out...anyway.
But that was this past Friday and I haven't pooped since then.. Its now Monday night.
My Movantik drug ( which is supposed to prevent opiate constipation) causes urge to poop but I get no results other than a tiny bit of whitish pasty stuff (which I think is the remnants of my pain suppositories.
I haven't gone up on my meds.
Is this normal?..Is it because I'm so cleaned out!
I know pooping varies ...some people go daily, others every go couple days etc. Everyone is different.
(For ex; My pump nur se goes once a week only! and she seems fine with that. She got herself into bad bowels habits years ago, .. which remain today.

That aside,, Im concerned as Im used to pooping daily, even if only small amounts or soft lumps ....its relieving.
I don't feel too bad today, but I know my worry and thus "clenching" inabout this is causing this also (tightening thr sphincters.
Hubby suggests taking Xanax to calm things, but Im reluctant to add in meds that could add to the constipation or whatever.
Im starting to think I'm never going to poop. Im drinking water, eating prunes , raisinbrain muffins (which I love!)
My nurse assured me in the past that I would poop eventually and not to obsess over it ... We are supposed to talk tomorrow but I think my system has her stumped.

This time Im worried, Maybe Im just cleaned out and it takes time..
Im only 115lbs with a small belly. I don't eat enought as Im afraid as most folks probably.
My belly is not bloated or sick feeling.
Any thoughts /reassurance would sure be appreciated.
BTW gastro docs are of no help in these matter. Ive found they dismiss you with common sense suggestions one can come up with on their own.They are only interested in doing procedures.
Thanks in advance!
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Hi Kathy,

If you are used to going everyday, 3-4 days seems like it would be a long time, even if you were completely empty on Friday. It seems like you are doing everything you can and eating foods that will encourage your body to go. I guess you could try to tackle it from the other end with a suppository or enema if things don't progress over the next couple days. I hope that you have a positive update soon.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Stephanie,
Thx for your reply. Ive looked through my many detailed posts on this yucky subject and am embarrassed that Ive gone on about it!
Apologies to the moderators and you guys for the ongoing saga!

My varying 'irregularity ' issues seem to be from a combination of the meds in my pain pump and my pain issue itself; anal spasm
causing the severe pain and bowel irregularity,plus the worry worsens the whole scenario.

BTW Stephanie, I used Milk of Magnesia Wed night (about 3 1/2 Tbsp). I had some gradual results throughout the day, and tonight thankfully.
Still not totally relieved, but and used use a smaller dose Tues/ night. Am trying to reach my pain doc to get him to change my "laxative" Amtiza, to something else I have checked into. We are all different, but Amitiza was not too helpul for me.

So Ive been trying to weed out the best "laxative solution" and re-reading all ideas .
Thx everyone for all the info and what works for you. I appreciate it!
If I could get my mind off it, I would be so much better as well.

I use a baclofen/valium suppository as you may've read.. for pain. My pain doc says the Baclofen could be constipating , but spoke with my pharmacist who disagrees!

The doctor urged me to press the button on my pain pump instead, which sends extra opiate and a numbing med to my body,
and not use the pain suppository as much. I use the supps 2 X daily , but have cut back to once lately. The supps are cooling and provide more instant relief, whereas the pain pump meds take awhile to work. I need to press the button more than once a day to feel any pain relief. With the pump button, I have to wait about an hour before I can press it the second time, so I prefer the pain supps , when I need instant relief. Im not sure the pain pump is for me, but to push the meds to a higher amt would mean possible worse constipation, due to the dilaudid in it. (alto not like oral opiates.

As a busy Mom, I am always picking up, bending etc, so pain kicks in. I know you can relate!
Tho PT has given me improvement...but
I still need those pain supps,, esp after activity. The activity is well worth it tho for normalcy and morale!
Does anyone use just valium suppositories for pain relief? I''ve heard those mentioned here .. The pharmacist says to try each type of suppository separately and see if either one helps more.... so we'll see what the doctor says.
If so, could you post about your experience with it? I would like to continue using pain supps as needed, and want my doc to try valium suppositories.
Thanks in advance.
Meanwhile I think that Milk of Magnesia is a safer option for many of us than the harsher stuff. Eating prunes seem to help a little.
Also drinking warm prune juice followed by water,, warm is probably better.

Those of you on opiates, you might try Movantik - a new med, designed to 'prevent opiate constipation'. I have 'so-so 'results with it, but my doctor raves about the results some of his patients have. Its very new, so the internet info is limited, but there should be more soon..

I want to try unfiltered aloe vera juice and unfiltered Apple juice-- Where can you buy 'unfiltered' apple juice ---supermarkets? or online?
Whole Foods maybe?
Btw about fiber gummies I have the flavored fiber gummies, not the chickory root kind, Will they work as well? I guess one has to eat a lot of them daily, tho the package says just 2....

I save laxative suppositories as a last resort, as their results have been unpredictable at times.
I found a mini -emema product called Docusate Plus, which looks much simpler to use and way less invasive than a conventional enema (which I want to avoid unless necessary). Haven't tried the Docusate, yet tho, Has anyone used it? I have not yet
Thx again Stephanie and everyone!
Hope you are feeling well, Stephanie!

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”