Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Lernica

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Lernica »

Jackie,

(I posted an earlier response but I seem to have lost it, so here it goes again.) You said earlier that your hip does feel better, so you don't have to lie about it! Just focus on the hip with your OS, not the pelvic/perineum pain. I learned early on this journey that you have to focus your conversations with doctors in the area of their expertise. Otherwise, they tell you they can't help you. At my first appointment with my OS, I complained mostly about my perineum pain. His told me that he couldn't help me with that and to basically go away.

When I came back with more imaging and he saw the pathology (namely FAI), he agreed to do the scope. At that appointment I didn't even talk about the PN; only the hip pain. Then he was all bushy tailed and keen to go.

Good luck with everything, and please keep me posted.
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Lernica,
That is really helpful advice. I did flare up a little in my hip joint this evening as the initial part of the injection wore off, but I definitely had some relief right afterwards. (like down from a 5 to a 2 in some stretches) I also think there was so pelvic floor help too. We will just watch and see. I don't want to have surgery if I don't need it, but I definitely want to have stable hips that don't hurt! Next time I talk to him I will focus on the hip relief with the injection.

At least his PT is 100% convinced of the connection in my case. It felt so good to have someone say definitively that my hip was causing my pelvic floor pain, and he is someone who sees people with hip issues all day long. He actually told me to stop focusing on internal work with pt and start focusing on my hips. :) Yay.

Thanks for all of your help,
Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Jackie, your PT rocks! You are lucky to have a team that knows how to connect the dots. I've had to educate mine. With a team like that, you are going to get all better, girl!
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
pregmom

Post by pregmom »

I saw Dr Coleman at HSS Yesterday and he wants to do the steroid injection too. I am scheduled for sept 14 and to see dr c again 6weeks from now to determine next steps i.e. surgery. I have to say i am extremely freaked out about worsening of symptoms. My gosh one of the complications iinvolves the pudendal nerve. I dont want to be worse i have a baby to take care of and its hard enough as it os :(. Beverley had posted on here that she spoke with 5 women, 1 of whom got worse and new others that got worse as well. But also women whom had success' with the surgery. I would really love to talk to anyone else whom has had the surgery, good and bad. Please PM me if would rather not disclose on the board.
Healing thoughts and prayers to all :)
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Pregmom,

I am six weeks post-op on the left (PN) side. Both my hip pain and sitting/perineal pain are improving slowly each day. Beverley has also reported improvement in her PN pain. She is now 7 weeks post-op.

But you don't have to make a decision about the surgery right now. Wait and see how the steroid shot goes. The steroid injections in my hips had no effect on my PN pain. The pudendal nerve is nowhere near the hip joint. And if the injection helps your hip pain, it will be useful information for your decision about surgery, which you can make later.

We PNers seem to be keeping hip surgeons busy these days, especially at HSS! Good luck in your treatment decisions.
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Good to hear you and Beverley are doing well Lernica, I agree with your advice. No one recommends rushing into surgery, but it does seem to be helping those with the right criteria. Something to keep in mind on your PT journey, Pregmom, is that in my experience, PTs seem to over promise what they can fix. They are a great tool, but they have limits.

I also wonder if some of the women who became worse after the hip surgery did not have proper after care involving lots of PT and proper exercises to realign the muscles. Just a thought. We are all pioneers!

Hugs, Jackie
Started with vulva itching 2/11. Diagnosed as vulvodynia and then PN in 01/12. Progressed to sitting pain and constant burning. Received 4 nerve blocks with only temporary relief, did year of pelvic PT before being diagnosed with bilateral FAI and hip labral tears 7/12. Did orthopedic PT 1.5 years. 3/13 Arthroscopic hip surgery at HSS with Dr. Kelly. Take cymbalta and lyrica daily. About 97% better than worst point thanks to combo of surgery and meds. Yay!
Elmwood

Post by Elmwood »

Definitely intrigued by what you all have said about hip/PN issues. I have had issues for years and was just diagnosed with hip arthritis on both sides. Had an injection to no real avail. Just had a bilateral PN block today. It may not have been wise to get a hip injection and then a PN block with out having the docs consult with each other......but anyway. Does anybody have experience with arthritis and PN? I am a male by the way.

Thanks in advance.
Scrotal pain and tingling started in 1999. Soreness after ejaculation. Occasional numbness in Scrotum. Some urinary frequency. Symptoms disappeared for 3 years in 07 and came back in 2010. Tingling and tickling in penis 2011. Pain in buttocks with sitting started in July of 2012. Not much success with PT. Tried the usual meds with some success, but didn't like the side effects. Dr. Potter MRI revealed pelvic floor varices. Both hips opperated on in 2013 for FAI. Some help with supplements.
beverley

Post by beverley »

I am 8 weeks post op. I am still taking 30mg of Elavil but have NO PN PAIN as long as i dont wear tight jeans. Sometimes i even forget that i have it! I am still doing pelvic floor PT but am not having the post surgery flares that I mentioned earlier. FYI, i didnt really experience huge improvement in my hip pain when i had the hip injection. I am still doing massage, chiro, rolling on a foam roller, anti-imflamatory diet etc. My hip feels good but is still weak. I feel very hopeful.
prolonged sitting summer -- Vulvar Burning, Vulvadynia, Urinary Frequency, Lower Back Pain, Numbness in Foot, Pain when sitting, Hip Pain
1/12 90% Better after Pelvic Floor PT and 10 mg of Elavil
3/12 Potter MRI
4/12 MRI showed Labral Tears in both hips
4/12 Hip Injection with Dr Jordon -- some improvement
7/12 FAI and Labral repair Hip Surgery, Dr Coleman, HSS, 10/12-3/13 99% better!
3/13 Flared - present,
7/14 Ilioinguinal nerve block positive
Faith

Post by Faith »

That's wonderful Beverley! Are you able to sit without pain as well?
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Jax87

Post by Jax87 »

Wonderful! You have given me so much hope Beverley, thank you for posting!!

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”