PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Violet M

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by Violet M »

My understanding is that you can have withdrawal seizures when abruptly quitting gabapentin even if you weren't taking it for seizures. You can see a list of articles confirming this in the references of this article. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/722526

Clo, I don't think the activities you are describing with minor pressure put on the nerve could damage it. If you have a nerve entrapment then you want to avoid stretches but I don't think you have been diagnosed with PNE have you? Maybe it would be helpful if you could get some professional help in dealing with the anxiety. Some people say that just being anxious can make their symptoms worse and cause them to tense up their pelvic floor.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
whatislife

Post by whatislife »

I recently started Lexapro. Right when I take it i feel nauseous, not enough to make me throw up but it's pretty bad. I see it help me by like 60-80% but the nausea is just too much -is it temporary?
Bluebird24

Post by Bluebird24 »

don't know where to begin my story...

I've been battling many health problems for yrs now. I have epilepsy, and panic disorder. I take topamax, celexa, and Xanax for those issues.
The past few months my body has taken a turn for the worst. Some days I am bed ridden, I can feel my joints and bones all over just aching. I have sores and ulcers in my mouth , hair loss, constant fevers. But I would take all that any day over what is going on "down town"!

When things in my body flared up, I had this ...I don't know how to describe it without sounding sexual... A constant feeling of climaxing in my clitoral area. I thought...ok, I'll try to "scratch the itch and fix it myself" IT DID NOT STOP!! I had an old tube of lidocane cream and rubbed it on the outside Just to get some rest... Didn't help . now it has begun to throb internally as well.
I don't know what to do anymore! I feel like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff 24/7.
I have multiple ice packs bc that seems to be the only reliefe I get from this pain. I sleep with them between my legs at night just to catch some sleep. Now I have burns from ice on my inner thighs.
I don't know why this is happening. Or what it is... This is the first group that gave me a sense of hope.

It's so embarassing to talk about to anyone. I'm 32 and told my mother. We went to the er and they looked at me as if I was crazy. Asked me about crazy sex toys...humiliating!

I know my post is allover the place and in so sorry. I'm typing this on my phone.

The only way I describe it to my bestfriend is that my vagina is Pac man . its constantly spasming. Like if I was climaxing or having an orgasm.

Thank you all so much for reading this. Again I'm sorry if it's a rambling mess.
Bluebird24
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

whatislife wrote:I recently started Lexapro. Right when I take it i feel nauseous, not enough to make me throw up but it's pretty bad. I see it help me by like 60-80% but the nausea is just too much -is it temporary?
What dose did they start you out on? Maybe they could lower the dose until you adjust and then slowly increase it. If the nausea doesn't settle soon you could try a different SSRI or a tricyclic antidepressant. It took me 3 different drugs before I found the one that worked best for me.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Bluebird24 wrote:The only way I describe it to my bestfriend is that my vagina is Pac man . its constantly spasming. Like if I was climaxing or having an orgasm.
Welcome to the forum, Bluebird. I used to make ice balloons and insert them to stop that feeling of spasming. I know it sounds it sounds pretty extreme but it was better than the alternative of going nuts. When you insert the ice it can feel pretty intense at first and you may have to slide it in and out several times until you adjust but it can help calm down that feeling and allow you to get some sleep. I never had any permanent damage from doing this. It's a temporary solution though.

Another option is valium vaginal suppositories to relax the vaginal muscles. Some people insert the oral tablets vaginally. I've never used this but I know it has worked for some people. You would need to make sure whoever prescribed them knows you are on xanax too since they are both benzodiazepines -- just to make sure you were not getting an overdose of benzos although the vaginal suppositories do not affect you systemically as much as the oral medication would.

One option for you would be to see a physical therapist who has experience in treating people with this -- at least for an evaluation of the pelvic floor to see what might be going on and whether there might be any neuopathy of the pudendal nerve or pelvic floor dysfunction. It was a physical therapist who finally gave me a proper diagnosis of pudendal neuralgia when the physicians didn't have a clue. If it turns out that your PGAD is related to pudendal neuralgia you might find this newsletter helpful. http://www.pudendalhope.info/sites/defa ... ne2013.pdf

There are other options you can try too but these are just some ideas for starters.

Violet
whatislife

Post by whatislife »

Violet M wrote:
whatislife wrote:I recently started Lexapro. Right when I take it i feel nauseous, not enough to make me throw up but it's pretty bad. I see it help me by like 60-80% but the nausea is just too much -is it temporary?
What dose did they start you out on? Maybe they could lower the dose until you adjust and then slowly increase it. If the nausea doesn't settle soon you could try a different SSRI or a tricyclic antidepressant. It took me 3 different drugs before I found the one that worked best for me.
They put me on 5Mg once a day. I've only started it today but It has helped lower this disorder a lot. I'm going to give it a couple more days if the nausea doesn't go away I'm probably going to try something else then. Thx
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

That is a low dose. It's the same dose I was on and I don't think it comes in a lower dose but I could be wrong. I hope the side effects will calm down for you soon.

Violet
clo236

Post by clo236 »

Hi violet,

I am hoperfully talking to my CBT nurse over the phone on Monday, so hopefully she will be able to help a little with the anxiety.
I went to a womens health physio on Thursday that first said that my right hip wasn't in line and maybe that is why the pain has been lingering so long also that internally my pelvic floor on the right side wouldnt relax as well.

See if I was getting into my mums car today because its a 3 door, I had to bend in to get into the back so I had one foot in the inside the car and one foot outside the car and hat to squat down a little to get in but now I'm a little worried incase my genitals hit off the car as I was getting in or something??

Tomorrow I'm starting day 2 of 50mg pregabalin so I'm praying that all hell doesn't break loose.

Tonight I was watching tv with my mum on the sofa so I probably had my upper back against the back of the sofa and lower back flat against the on the sofa with my legs stretched out infront of me on the table. So I wasn't lining down completely flat but waist an all the way down was flat on the sofa. That was probably for about 2 hours. I had to get up though because I was getting an ache in the right bum cheek where Ive never had pain before. I'm just worried that I might have irritated the PN?? being in that position before has never annoyed me.

I actually am so frustrated I feel like I can't do anything without annoying the nerve

Thanks,

Chlo xxx
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Well, Clo, you have to go on living, so try not to get too worried about what position you are in or whether you might bump yourself. Try to change positions frequently so you won't stress things too much. Hopefully the pregbalin will help and the physio will be able to help too.

Violet
clo236

Post by clo236 »

Hi Violet,

Just a quick question. I was sitting on the toilet doing a pee and the flow was good. Then I felt a downward drop/push for about 2 seconds. Now I'm wondering if that was me accidently straining or if it was just my body's natural process. Would you know if you were straining to go to the toilet, would it have to be a conscious decision? Sometimes I get bladder spasms so its hard to tell whats going on
Could I have done any damage to the PN

Thanks,
Chlo xx

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”