Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery recovery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
seanashton42

Re: Pudendal Nerve Decompression Surgery - post surgery reco

Post by seanashton42 »

Day 2.

Sore to be honest. Fully mobile but sitting on both cheeks a bit of an issue. 200 mile car trip today - wish me luck!!! I should that I'm an airline pilot and the end game in off the drugs (I can't fly on them) and to be able to sit (strapped in) for 6hrs. I'm hoping to be back at work for Sept and run an endurance race in Oct so the pressure is definitely on.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

Back home and in pieces!!! In bed, Tramadol and TENS machine on. My initial hopes have taken a setback. I have to add too that whatever position or potion was used during surgery has caused my scrotum to burn/bleed so pain both front and back!

I'm going to collapse now so I'll get back to you later!!!!
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Sean,
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time right now. However, it's to be expected after such a surgery. It's very important you take things slow and easy for the next several months.
Nerves don't heal the same way other structures do, and take much longer. It may be helpful for you to measure improvements monthly, rather than daily or weekly.
seanashton42 wrote:I have to add too that whatever position or potion was used during surgery has caused my scrotum to burn/bleed so pain both front and back!
It's normal for the PN to act out after surgery, and you may have increased pain/symptoms for a while. Is your scrotum actually bleeding????
Wishing the very best for you. Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have. What you're experiencing right now is normal. What you initially reported after surgery is not.
Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Very best wishes for your recovery Sean. Take notice of your wife!! Let us know how you progress as I'm sure you will.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

Thanks all. Without wanting to contradict The Verve "the drugs do work"! I've never been high before but thankfully last night I managed a state of consciousness where I didn't care if I was sore or not! A good nights sleep always helps.

This morning I'm sore. My symptoms where solely rectal and it seems to be a factor that I get to a state of comfort then go for treatment and we start again. I went for a walk today (about 3-4mile) which I find relaxing and exercises the relevant parts smoothly. Walking is when i am most comfortable, much better than standing and definitely better than sitting.

The burning issue in my scrotum is subsiding....thank The Lord. It's not much fun getting in the bath and screaming so loudly your sister-in-law charges into the bathroom to see who's being murdered! Though seeing me in the altogether holding my parts must have produced some comedy value. I think that what ever was used to clean "me" during the operation must have pooled and reacted with the skin...ill leave the pictures for another time.

For those in pain I cannot recommend a TENS machine highly enough. While the probes may have to be placed in rather delicate areas the relief/distraction is amazing.
rj419

Post by rj419 »

It has almost been one month since the surgery in Houston. Dr. Ansell was very helpful in educating me on the recovery. First I had to go get a nerve block. After one week with no relief, I was scheduled for surgery. He said the "exploratory" surgery was a success! My pudendal nerve was trapped bilaterally. The operation took 4hrs. I was in recovery and released the next day. What he told me was that nerves are basically like electrical wires. They have a coating. When nerves get trapped, the coating can be worn thin, or even to nothing. This coating is one of the things in the body that takes the longest to heal.It could be up to 18 months before I know how well the surgery worked. I highly recommend Dr. Ansell and his staff. You can reach him at: Lee V. Ansell 5420 West Loop S # 1100 Bellaire, TX 77401 (713) 664-0894. Good luck to all of you! I will make another post in 17 months!
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hi rj

Good luck for your recovery and thanks so much for the updates.
Take care
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
seanashton42

Post by seanashton42 »

1 week post surgery.

On the good side the rectal pain is starting to subside. Still there but no longer the hot poker up my bum.

On the down side. I've been trying to walk 3-4miles a day since the Op just to keep moving. However, now the brushing seems to have come out and the incision has split. To be honest it's pretty darn uncomfortable. I had no problem sitting after the Op until yesterday. Now I can't sit at all, I can't put any pressure on my RH buttock. Car travel virtual impossible and its very tiring standing all the time. Fingers crossed that will change soon.
Rosemary

Post by Rosemary »

Hi Sean

I hope that you are in touch with someone post surgery to have your incision checked if needs be - seemed a bit alarming to me when i read that.

Wishing you well.

Rosemary x
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

No, don't like the sound of that either sean. Best get it checked.

Take care,
Helen

Return to “SURGERY”