PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Violet M

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by Violet M »

Good idea to get a second opinion. I could be way off base, and I hope I am, but I am coming from the experience of having my gyn tell me not to have a pelvic floor repair because it could increase my PN pain if the pelvic floor was pulled too tightly. I'm not sure what the treatment would be but I'm wondering if pelvic floor PT would help to loosen up the pelvic floor if it was pulled too tightly. Or, maybe a TENS unit could help relax the muscles some. A TENS unit helped me get the muscles relaxed after PNE surgery. I also know someone who had pain post-hysterectomy who is helped significantly by neuromodulation. So, I think there is reason for hope and there are things you can do for pain relief. Heat and ice, including alternating hot and cold sitz baths, can be very helpful too.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
April

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by April »

Hi Holly,

I'm just now seeing your earlier question about whether or not I have ongoing pain. I do, but it is much less frequent and less extreme than before the surgery. I have flares periodically and can usually manage them with a heating pad on high. But, I did just start a medication for the first time in four years (Cymbalta) to see if it will help with the flares. I'll keep you posted.

Hi Sweet,
I always had burning pain throughout my pelvic floor, but the left side had sharp and stabbing pains periodically that felt like they were coming from a couple of inches above my pelvic floor. The ischial spine area on the left was also extremely tender, and I didn't have that on the right. So, it clearly felt like the pain was originating from the left but creating pain on both sides. Now (several years post surgery), I still have tenderness on the ischial spine area on the left, but I don't have the stabbing and sharp internal pains like before. But I do notice pain inside my vagina now in a way I didn't before (e.g., after a bowel movement). (But, I think my pain was so extreme and broad before that it was hard to pinpoint where it was coming from.) Is your pain one-sided?

April

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”