Surgery with Dr Azsmann

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
rea

Re: Surgery with Dr Azsmann

Post by rea »

Meliora,

Need to ask you something..can I PM you?
Symptoms began 6/27/12. Diagnosed with Vulvodynia.Estrace and Lidocane with no relief.
Uretha enlarged Aug. 2012. MRI of Lumbar in Sept. 2012.Normal. Did MRI 3 Tesla of ischial spine to Sacro Spin- Normal. Houston-Nerve Block 10-31-12 & MRI (MRN) entrapment of perineal branch, more on right side. Dr. Hibner- block of perineal branches and sclerozation w/relief over 1 month. SIJD/Piriformis Syndrome Left Side. Gabapentin 2400 mg.
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Of course you can! Will look for your message.
flyer28

Post by flyer28 »

I ll try to get back to the title of this thread, if I might:

Last time I was talking to Dr.Aszmann he said the he is doing an extensive reseach concerning all his patients with dorsal nerve decompression surgery. Their outcomes, post-operation difficulties etc. I think the number of patients who were operated by him might exceed number 100, so this data would be extremely interesting. I am confident that data from dr.Aszmann would reflect the reality. Does anybody know if this research was published? or at least some unofficial data?

I have spoken/emailed with both groups of patrients, those who are cured/benefitted and those who had no benefit. dr.Aszmann told me that till now he did not make anybody worse and I believe him. Does anybody have any info of this research?
summer 2009 - episodic post ejaculatory pain,
early 2010- major flare-up, chronification
february 2011 - ESCW wave. major flare-up, lasting 5 months
february 2012 - diagnosed CPPS with irritation of pudendal nerve, hypog. plexus block
june 2012 - dorsal nerve block, no relief
2013 - starting PT with moderate results
2014-2017 better periods interchanging with heavy flare ups
2018 first long remission (several months)
2019-2023 most of the time almost assymptomatic with cca 2 flare ups yearly
Earl

Post by Earl »

Well I did have my surgery this past Monday with Dr Hibner. I flew into Phoenix Sunday afternoon on a liquid diet buying the extra seat.All went as planned and I'm optimistic because Dr Hibner said my nerve was quite badly scared showing a definite need of surgery and yet it took only a very small electrical impulse to get the nerve to respond.Dr Hibner too was very optimistic .All my questions on whether it was my spine or previous hernia or appendectomy were answered.Now for recovery and waiting . The surgery on the left side is possible down the road and though this is awful I know what to expect and am not as fearful. The pain pump and all the pain meds are needed without interruption .The pain pump was on upon awakening from surgery but I wasn't numb for awhile after surgery and it seems my fear of having a numb penis from nerve damage from the surgery are eased though at present I am now temporarily numb because of the pain pump and this is normal.The saint Josephs Hospital treated me VERY good.I loved all their nurses and doctors including the anesthesiologist .The whole experience was much better than Santa Monica hospital with Dr Filler.Although the book keeping and records needs a definite overhaul at Saint Josephs- very confusing.Pain is pretty bad right now . Cutting that ligament and sewing it back together I guess is a big deal. I'm just glad they sew it back together. I was not able to sit at all or even lay on my back before and now walking and even standing is painful but with all the drugs I'm doing OK.My wife is the best and prettiest personal nurse out there although technically she doesn't have any nurses training. She logs the time -even in the middle of the night -for the next oxycodone and all the other stuff including washing my hair and bathing me. Shame on me but she's very willing .My church had an anointing service to ask God for my healing. Going in front of a couple hundred people was humbling but I do believe in prayer and it gave me courage .
Dr Hibner said he had a patient from out of the country I think who had 2 surgeries with Dr Roberts in Europe who he performed the third surgery with complete pain resolution.He told me not to be discouraged by previous failed surgeries. He told my wife while I was in recovery that doing both sides at once is almost out of the question because he is under the microscope the whole time and feels quality of surgery would suffer.I think he is very cautious and careful It would be hard to walk and handle both sides at once.
Well of course I'm not a success yet but I have some reason for optimism and am so glad this part is over .I don't regret it for a moment .Since we are not from Phoenix I am recovering in a hotel for a week or 2 before I fly home to Idaho. I hate the loopy feeling I get from pain meds and it shows in my post but I hope to give my progress for all of your good too.
7/09 penile numbness, sitting discomfort after injury 2 weeks post vasectomy.Neurologists MRIs and urologists. 2/10 Dr Antolak steroid injections ,PN diagnosis. 3/10 MRN. 12/11 Periformis /pudendal surgery Dr Filler . 5/12 "Headache in the Pelvis " . 9/12 Potter MRI .11/12 Dr Hibner -Botox,Sclaritization, nerve block .Worsening.Scheduled for Right TG Surgery with Dr Hibner April 2013.
Earl

Post by Earl »

Well I did have my surgery this past Monday with Dr Hibner. I flew into Phoenix Sunday afternoon on a liquid diet buying the extra seat.All went as planned and I'm optimistic because Dr Hibner said my nerve was quite badly scared showing a definite need of surgery and yet it took only a very small electrical impulse to get the nerve to respond.Dr Hibner too was very optimistic .All my questions on whether it was my spine or previous hernia or appendectomy were answered.Now for recovery and waiting . The surgery on the left side is possible down the road and though this is awful I know what to expect and am not as fearful. The pain pump and all the pain meds are needed without interruption .The pain pump was on upon awakening from surgery but I wasn't numb for awhile after surgery and it seems my fear of having a numb penis from nerve damage from the surgery are eased though at present I am now temporarily numb because of the pain pump and this is normal.The saint Josephs Hospital treated me VERY good.I loved all their nurses and doctors including the anesthesiologist .The whole experience was much better than Santa Monica hospital with Dr Filler.Although the book keeping and records needs a definite overhaul at Saint Josephs- very confusing.Pain is pretty bad right now . Cutting that ligament and sewing it back together I guess is a big deal. I'm just glad they sew it back together. I was not able to sit at all or even lay on my back before and now walking and even standing is painful but with all the drugs I'm doing OK.My wife is the best and prettiest personal nurse out there although technically she doesn't have any nurses training. She logs the time -even in the middle of the night -for the next oxycodone and all the other stuff including washing my hair and bathing me. Shame on me but she's very willing .My church had an anointing service to ask God for my healing. Going in front of a couple hundred people was humbling but I do believe in prayer and it gave me courage .
Dr Hibner said he had a patient from out of the country I think who had 2 surgeries with Dr Roberts in Europe who he performed the third surgery with complete pain resolution.He told me not to be discouraged by previous failed surgeries. He told my wife while I was in recovery that doing both sides at once is almost out of the question because he is under the microscope the whole time and feels quality of surgery would suffer.I think he is very cautious and careful It would be hard to walk and handle both sides at once.
Well of course I'm not a success yet but I have some reason for optimism and am so glad this part is over .I don't regret it for a moment .Since we are not from Phoenix I am recovering in a hotel for a week or 2 before we fly home to Idaho. I hate the loopy feeling I get from pain meds and it shows in my post but I hope to give my progress for all of your good too.
7/09 penile numbness, sitting discomfort after injury 2 weeks post vasectomy.Neurologists MRIs and urologists. 2/10 Dr Antolak steroid injections ,PN diagnosis. 3/10 MRN. 12/11 Periformis /pudendal surgery Dr Filler . 5/12 "Headache in the Pelvis " . 9/12 Potter MRI .11/12 Dr Hibner -Botox,Sclaritization, nerve block .Worsening.Scheduled for Right TG Surgery with Dr Hibner April 2013.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Thanks for posting Earl.
It is still early day for you but you seem to be doing well and staying positive which is going to help with your recovery so much :) Glad the surgery answered your question too. Let us know how you get on but concentrate on getting better for now.
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
nyt

Post by nyt »

Earl, thanks so much for letting us know about your surgery. Take it easy as recovery takes a long time. You will be in my prayers during your recovery.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
deBBieW

Post by deBBieW »

Earl,
Just wishing you the very best outcome. You have such a great attitude, and I'm glad to hear you received such excellent care in the hospital.
Thank you so much for taking the time to update everyone.

Debbie
Vag pain, leg burning 3/11, SIJ inj 7/11, Pelvic PT, Chiro/acupuncture,
2-CT pudendal blks 11/2012, did help, less deep vag pain
Potter MRI 04/2012 - Scar tissue/thickening at SS/ST, scar in Alcock canal -bilateral,
Hibner 6/12 suggests Botox (didnt do), 8/12 more pelvic PT w/ dry needling
Gabapentin 1800 mg, Lyrica 200 mg, 5mg valium, vicodin as needed
Trying to get rid of central sensitization burning pain in my legs, Valium seems to be helping
Looking into more mindfulness options. . . . .
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Earl, just wanted to add good wishes for your recovery. It may be slow so remember to gauge things from month to month, not day to day, because you will most likely have flare-ups. It will be a bit of a roller coaster so stay strong.

Tell your wife that your forum friends think she is an angel. ;)

Best,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Happy to hear everything is going well. I know you must be so glad the surgery is over and behind you. What a relief, right! Now you can focus on recovery and getting better. I hope you heal quickly and have excellent results. I agree with Violet, your wife sounds like an angel!

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”