Nerve block administered "blind"

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
ithurts

Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by ithurts »

Hello,
Has anyone here had a physician administer a nerve block "blind"? That is, without MRI, fluoroscopy or CT guidance? If so, what was your experience and outcome? This is how my Doctor, a Urogynecologist administers a nerve block and I have reservations about proceeding. Thank you for any opinion or feedback.
April

Re: Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by April »

Hi ithurts,

No, I have not had that, and I don't think I've heard of it before either. I would have reservations too. If this is being done for diagnostic purposes, it's important that the numbing agent hits the nerve. If you don't have any pain relief from the procedure, you won't know if the doctor just missed the nerve OR if your pain is not due to pn. So, it will defeat the whole purpose if you don't have confidence that the doctor hit the nerve. Many doctors do this using guidance, so I'm sure you could find a doctor within driving distance who do it with guidance.

April
janetm2

Re: Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by janetm2 »

Hi ithurts,
I had blind blocks by Dr Marvel and they weren't definitive. I was then send for guided which did add towards the case that I had left pundendal issues. I would suggest guided. Note I was not on this forum at the time and had no idea of what to do and just followed whatever the doctor said.
Good Luck
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”