Nerve block administered "blind"

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Post Reply
ithurts
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by ithurts »

Hello,
Has anyone here had a physician administer a nerve block "blind"? That is, without MRI, fluoroscopy or CT guidance? If so, what was your experience and outcome? This is how my Doctor, a Urogynecologist administers a nerve block and I have reservations about proceeding. Thank you for any opinion or feedback.
Ray P.
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by Ray P. »

I had it done blind and that was the worst mistake I ever made to make a long story short. I would give anything to be in the shape
I was in before block.

Ray
stephanies
Posts: 732
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by stephanies »

Blocks can be done vaginally without guidance. The doctors can use anatomical landmarks to place the needle where it should be. Doing a block this way, the needle only has to go through 1-2cm of muscle and tissue. Going through the buttocks, the needle has to go through 8-10 cm of muscle to get to the nerve. Therefore, guidance is necessary this way. I have had both. Most gyns can do vaginal blocks. The blocks I had with guidance were done by interventional radiologists. Of course, if the patient doesn’t have a vagina, there is only the option of doing the block guided through the buttocks.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery in 2006 and 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2009, pain returned worse in 12/13. Pain reduced again in 2023.
Post Reply

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”