Nerve block administered "blind"

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
ithurts

Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by ithurts »

Hello,
Has anyone here had a physician administer a nerve block "blind"? That is, without MRI, fluoroscopy or CT guidance? If so, what was your experience and outcome? This is how my Doctor, a Urogynecologist administers a nerve block and I have reservations about proceeding. Thank you for any opinion or feedback.
Ray P.

Re: Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by Ray P. »

I had it done blind and that was the worst mistake I ever made to make a long story short. I would give anything to be in the shape
I was in before block.

Ray
stephanies

Re: Nerve block administered "blind"

Post by stephanies »

Blocks can be done vaginally without guidance. The doctors can use anatomical landmarks to place the needle where it should be. Doing a block this way, the needle only has to go through 1-2cm of muscle and tissue. Going through the buttocks, the needle has to go through 8-10 cm of muscle to get to the nerve. Therefore, guidance is necessary this way. I have had both. Most gyns can do vaginal blocks. The blocks I had with guidance were done by interventional radiologists. Of course, if the patient doesn’t have a vagina, there is only the option of doing the block guided through the buttocks.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”