Sleeping positions and lying down

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
susibee

Sleeping positions and lying down

Post by susibee »

What position is best for you to sleep?
Which position is "supposed to" be best in pudendal neuralgia? Is it okay to sleep on your back with some pressure therefore on your buttocks?
Anyone else have increased pain when sleeping on his/her side?

I feel most comfortable currently on my stomach, but it is difficult for me to sleep this way.
I have increased (left sided) pain when I sleep on my right side, so that the left side/buttock gets stretched.
Vulvodynia diagnosed '01; symptom was occassional vulvar itching/rawness after sex.
Autumn '10, localized clitoral and left labial burning after sex
March '11, new left buttock pain, worsened clitoral/left labial pain/burning.
May '11, increased sitting pain.
Summer '11, pain decreased/plateaued to 0-4/5.
Treatment: 75 mg nortriptyline nightly, definitely helps; PT x 4, didn't really help.
Consults with Hibner and Dellon, left me with questions.
Next step: MRI in NYC or VT.
Violet M

Re: Sleeping positions and lying down

Post by Violet M »

Susi, sleeping on my stomach feels best for PNE but I also find it hurts my neck to sleep in that position so I usually sleep on my side. When sleeping on my side, I've found that there isn't as much stretch/increased pain if you put a small pillow between your knees. I've heard other people say the same thing.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

I've slept on my stomach my whole life. I probably had PNE my whole life too, but since it flared 8 years ago, I found myself sleeping with one leg flayed to the side while on my belly or back. (like imagine one leg is frog leg or indian style with knee out, foot to opposite knee. The worse my pain flare, the higher my knee goes when I'm on my belly only, till it's nearly up to my chest but out to the side at the same time. (I look like I'm mountain climbing my bed. )

I had to add memoryfoam on my bed cause laying on my back flared me too much from the hard surface of my bed. Since then, I find I awaken on my back, with no flare.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
susibee

Post by susibee »

pianogal wrote:I found myself sleeping with one leg flayed to the side while on my belly...
That's how I've slept for years, too, pianogal. It seems to be okay for pudendal neuralgia. I used to think it wasn't good for my low back, but I'm more worried about the PN now.
Vulvodynia diagnosed '01; symptom was occassional vulvar itching/rawness after sex.
Autumn '10, localized clitoral and left labial burning after sex
March '11, new left buttock pain, worsened clitoral/left labial pain/burning.
May '11, increased sitting pain.
Summer '11, pain decreased/plateaued to 0-4/5.
Treatment: 75 mg nortriptyline nightly, definitely helps; PT x 4, didn't really help.
Consults with Hibner and Dellon, left me with questions.
Next step: MRI in NYC or VT.
Faith

Post by Faith »

I can't lie on my back for more than a few minutes without my sacral burning. So I lay on my side with a pillow in between my knees.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

pianogal wrote:I found myself sleeping with one leg flayed to the side while on my belly or back.
Yup - that's me, too!
Faith wrote:I can't lie on my back for more than a few minutes without my sacral burning.
Me, too, Faith :(
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
TracyB7777

Post by TracyB7777 »

I'm a side sleeper and found a V shaped pillow that I use between my legs. My pain is left sided and I've found that I really work to keep the left leg straight instead of bent. When it's bent I burn.
Have been dealing with burning pain since Jan 2010.
No sitting since April 2010.
Seen the following dr's: DO, GYN, Dermatologist, Accupuncturist,
URO GYN (his RN is the one who suggested the pain could be PN), Neurologist
Had ECG and MRI both inconclusive, only the SSEP said Pudendal reaction was abnormal and they lost that test result.
Saw Dr. Castellanos April 6, 2011. Next steps, MRI and botox. Having PT while waiting.-Botox denied, appealing to Insurance company now. :(
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I'm in the 'frog leg' 'mountain climber' club but I shove my hand inside my hip bone too as my pelvis seems to need an extra support . I would love to be able to sleep on my back and not look quite so folded when I get up in the morning :) but sacral pain prevents it. I have tried every type of pillow available but it's not going to happen.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Prior to having a Stimulator implanted I used to always sleep on my front with pillows sited to prevent me lying on my side...however i cannot not lie on my stomach because of the stimulator so now I lie on alternatite sides with pillows on each side....I also have invested heavilly on a Memory Foam Matress and Topper on my bed which makes lying on my side more like floating....of course with ice I cannot sleep at all.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Just a note for the 'mountain climer sleepers' . . . this position is potentially 'shortening' the piriformis muscle (guess thats why I have to do it)
Doing some piriformis stretches duering the day can only do good, but easy does it.
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”