Pudendal neuralgia treatment with Dr Michael Durtnall

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
irishpudendalnerve

Pudendal neuralgia treatment with Dr Michael Durtnall

Post by irishpudendalnerve »

I began to get symptoms of Pudendal Neuralgia after a 15km cycle in June 2019. These symptoms included pelvic pain , and what can only be described as a horrendous burning penile pain. I also had genital numbness and partial ed. I was initially diagnosed with prostatitis and advised to take time off work(I was a legal intern at the time and was advised not to sit down for too long). I was also placed on 60mg of amitriptyline for three months aswell as taking difene and tramodol as required. I also had two negative cystoscopies. All MRI scans of lumbar spine, pelvis and brain were all clear. I was also referred to various physios which had little impact.

I was eventually referred to a neurophysiologist in September 2020 and was finally diagnosed with Pudendal Neuralgia via a nerve conduction test. I had short term relief from nerve blocks but they stopped working after one year. I was getting 3-4 months partial relief at a time. This particular practictioner then advised me to get a spinal cord stimulator..... I politely declined.
I booked an appointment with Dr Durtnall in January 2022. I was given standing x-rays which showed a leg length discrepancy of 16mm. I had a misaligned pelvis and curved spine as a result.I sat down a lot in college and played a lot of golf in my teens so I was a prime candidate for back trouble.I was given exercises to do and told to wear a heel insert. In simple language clitoral branch of the pudendal nerve is squashed so I am literally trying to lift up my posture and release the pressure.

I have been travelling from Dublin to London once a month since January and have been improving to up to 60-70% after just over 3 months. The pain is greatly reduced and ED has all but resolved. I would stress however that this has taken a lot of work. I find I have to be incredibly diligent about my posture and adherence to the exercises. I rarely sit down and use a standing desk at home. I also use a ring cushion while driving. I am currently studying for a masters and this condition has certainly derailed my career and education to some extent. That said the treatment by Dr Durtnall and Andra (physio) has given me a quality of life I didnt think was possible. I aware of the fact I may have to manage this condition but am hopeful I will continue to improve.The rate of progress has slowed somewhat but I have been under pressure with college so haven't been able to be as diligent with the programme as I would like. I would advise anyone with this condition to see Dr Durtnall, for the first time in over two years I have some hope of getting some resolution to this. It is by no means a silver bullet as you have to be incredibly dilligent about posture and exercises.
From an Irish perspective I found Mr Eamonn Rogers(urologist) and Mr Andrew Watson(physio) to be most helpful in terms of advice. It was Mr Rogers who referred me for nerve conduction tests as he believed I had pudendal neuralgia. I would certainly advocate Dr Durtnalls approach as you yourself have the ability to influence the condition rather than relying on medication or nerve blocks.
Best of luck to all suffering from Pudendal neuralgia ,It certainly isn't easy. Best wishes

Return to “UK & IRELAND”