Nerve Distribution Question

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
KC17

Nerve Distribution Question

Post by KC17 »

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if you read a previous post of mine stating that my mother was to have a Lap Assisted Hysterectomy, but since that post she has and is about two weeks post-op.

Almost immediately after waking she has had severe burning pain in the lower abdomen, on the right side of her pubic bone area, and midway down her inner right thigh. Her clothes hurt to even touch her in these areas, yet she can push on her incisions with no problem. It definitely sounds like a nerve issue to me.

What I'm hoping is that somebody, anybody on this board can give me some insight as to what nerve or nerves might be responsible for this distribution.

Thank You,
Krista
Pain started suddenly April 2010.
3T MRI w/ Dr. Potter, January 2011 shows bilateral impingement of the dorsal nerve of the clitoris.

Unsure what to do next because my pelvis is a mess.
Faith

Re: Nerve Distribution Question

Post by Faith »

I didn't spend time researching this, but my first thought would be obturator nerve. I know the oburator nerve runs down the inner thigh. Not sure if it would also cause pubic bone area pain.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
nyt

Post by nyt »

She could have more than one nerve involved. The mons pubis,(top of the pubic bone), is innervated by the ilioinguinal and/or genitofemoral nerve. There are four anatomical variations of these two nerves, sometimes they overlap and some times they have their own separate areas. Dr. Dellon has published the anatomically variations of these two nerves. Potentially she could have obturator nerve contributing to the inner part of the leg but that injury is very rare during LAV, the ilioinguinal and genitofemoral are the more likely candidates. It is not unusual if the ilioinguinal nerve has been damage by the trocar that the iliohypogastric and genitofemoral were injured at the same time. These three nerves tend to be damaged in a group from trocar placements. In the past if medication did not settle the nerve down and get the patient comfortable physicians would cut all three nerves because it was quite complicated and difficult to figure out which nerve it was. Now with guided nerve blocks physicians can pinpoint which nerve is exactly the culprit and like I said do not be surprised if there is more than one. The attached picture should be helpful.

She should talk with the dr. about starting on medication to get the nerve to settle down and get her more comfortable. If she does not get comfortable with medication within whatever she feels and determines with the physician is a reasonable time frame then surgery or cryoablation are options. Many pain doctors do the cryoablations but make sure it is someone good. For surgery, Dr. Dellon is excellent but does not take insurance so expensive. Dr. Ducic trained with Dr. Dellon and has a great reputation and does take insurance. Dr. Conway can do the ilioinguinal surgery, I don't know if she needed genitofemoral if he does that surgery. Dr. Howard can do both the ilioinguinal and genitofemoral. There is a previous thread regarding pros and cons of cryoablation versus neurectomy of these nerves if she ever gets to that point.

She might want to try some ice on the area to see if that helps at all.

Good luck and your mom is in my thoughts as prayers as this happened to me after my hysterectomy and it is no fun!
Nerves of pelvis and legs ventral view.pdf
(101.17 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Krista,
I'm so very sorry to hear about your Mom! I hope she finds out what's going on quickly and doesn't have to suffer for a long period of time. She's very luck to have you on her side and of course we'll do whatever we can to help!
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

KC17 wrote:Almost immediately after waking she has had severe burning pain in the lower abdomen, on the right side of her pubic bone area, and midway down her inner right thigh. Her clothes hurt to even touch her in these areas, yet she can push on her incisions with no problem. It definitely sounds like a nerve issue to me.
I'm so sorry, Krista. I know that was your worst nightmare, that she would get a nerve problem from the surgery after what you had learned here. I know that a lot of things resolve on their own post op, and I'm going to hope that this does.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Torbjorn

Post by Torbjorn »

hi Celeste, could you tell me what your symptoms were before the Housto Team operated on you. Tks Helen

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”